Buffet report Majestic: it's COMBAT!

Mary Ellen1

Good morning from the beautiful Majestic Princess, just arriving in Ketchikan. I'm having a chuckle about the buffet situation this morning and just had to share it. 

There are no cups (coffee cups).  There is no tea (plain black tea).  There is no silverware. There are just about enough salt shakers for every 3rd table.  Pepper is plentiful.  Oh, and there are no seats.  I told DH that I really wanted to go to the dining room, but he said the views are better from the buffet.  

It's combat!  Get your sharp elbows out!  

• Haha 10

Was on Majestic in August 2021 and everything was in order at that time. Sounds like Majestic is sailing with a higher capacity for 2023. Thanks for the heads up. Try asking for a banana and see what happens. Tim. 

• Like 1

It was the same situation on the previous cruise before yours. Buffet was super crowded at peak time. They also ran out of clean plates and coffee the odd times. On the other hand, food was plenty and there are extra seating around the pool deck.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gah_cruise said:

not very helpful ...

More helpful that saying you should book a trip on a smaller ship (invariably meaning a higher tier line than Princess).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mary Ellen1 said:

Good morning from the beautiful Majestic Princess, just arriving in Ketchikan. I'm having a chuckle about the buffet situation this morning and just had to share it. 

There are no cups (coffee cups).  There is no tea (plain black tea).  There is no silverware. There are just about enough salt shakers for every 3rd table.  Pepper is plentiful.  Oh, and there are no seats.  I told DH that I really wanted to go to the dining room, but he said the views are better from the buffet.  

It's combat!  Get your sharp elbows out!  

I’m glad you made it out in one piece 😂.  (Sharpening elbows now for my June cruise.)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

It was the same situation on the previous cruise before yours. Buffet was super crowded at peak time. They also ran out of clean plates and coffee the odd times. On the other hand, food was plenty and there are extra seating around the pool deck.

But Ketchikan though...  Way too cold to enjoy breakfast sitting outside (48°F), right?  It's ok.  It was just laughable, the number of things they ran out of.  🤣

• Like 1

That what happens when all go at the same time. They not designed to serve everyone at once. That why room service breakfast is something that should be considered on port days or get up at the crack of dawn.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mary Ellen1 said:

But Ketchikan though...  Way too cold to enjoy breakfast sitting outside (48°F), right?  

There is a little section with tables right outside the buffet entrance/exit door midship that is sheltered and quite warm. It's at the opposite end of the burger/hotdog stand.

Edited by sfaaa

12 hours ago, Mary Ellen1 said:

Oh good idea.  Thanks.  This was about 7:30am, so still on the early side.

Check the Patter. Breakfast begins at 6 AM.

12 hours ago, Mary Ellen1 said:

Me too!  But DH wanted to have a good view of the outside as we arrived into Ketchikan. 

Everyone does, as you found out.

It's almost like being on a Panama canal trip & expecting to get a good spot at the bow of the ship at 8 AM after a leisurely breakfast. 😄

• Haha 1

Breakfast on port days are the worst, since everyone getting an early start so they can get off the ship.   Not so bad on sea days as the crowd spreads out over the morning.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Check the Patter. Breakfast begins at 6 AM.

Everyone does, as you found out.

It's almost like being on a Panama canal trip & expecting to get a good spot at the bow of the ship at 8 AM after a leisurely breakfast. 😄

It's been starting at 5am.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sfaaa said:

There is a little section with tables right outside the buffet entrance/exit door midship that is sheltered and quite warm. It's at the opposite end of the burger/hotdog stand.

Yes I know that area and it was still pretty chilly!