Buffet trays

79Moz

Currently on day 3 of a cruise on Ventura and no-one has seen any trays in the buffet. Is this a fleetwide abolishment of trays or could there be something else going on?

Just now, 79Moz said:

Currently on day 3 of a cruise on Ventura and no-one has seen any trays in the buffet. Is this a fleetwide abolishment of trays or could there be something else going on?

Plenty of trays on cruises that we have taken this and previous years. Walking up to the pile of trays with the man handing them out with the cutlery in the napkins is the way to go.

There's no trays in the space where trays would typically reside just a pile of crockery. Everyone is having to do balancing acts if they are carrying more than 2 things.

7 minutes ago, 79Moz said:

There's no trays in the space where trays would typically reside just a pile of crockery. Everyone is having to do balancing acts if they are carrying more than 2 things.

What ship was this ?and where.?

P&O are phasing out trays: they are advising customers who need to use trays to ask for assistance in the buffet and staff will carry things. As it was explained to us they don’t have trays available to borrow, just staff to carry things. It’s to reduce food waste apparently.

43 minutes ago, 79Moz said:

Sorry to boast,  but plenty of trays on Arvia in April.

Big trays in the buffet. Smaller trays in the Quays. 

We had biscuits in the cabin too! 🤫

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, alpha whiskey said:

Sorry to boast,  but plenty of trays on Arvia in April.

Big trays in the buffet. Smaller trays in the Quays. 

We had biscuits in the cabin too! 🤫

Not for much longer, the tray monster is heading the Arvia’s way soon - unless a hoard of tray-wielding Iona passengers destroy it first 😉

In all seriousness it’s going to be a buffet-disaster zone in the Summer holidays when there are hundreds of parents trying to get food and drink for their children in one trip. There will be water, beans and hot coffee obstacle courses in the morning 😬 If anyone sees me and my son trying to navigate it all I recommend you avoid us: we are clumsy enough even with a tray, never mind child, bag, plate, cup and mug juggling… 😂

Edited by Cloudyrain
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cloudyrain said:

P&O are phasing out trays: they are advising customers who need to use trays to ask for assistance in the buffet and staff will carry things. As it was explained to us they don’t have trays available to borrow, just staff to carry things. It’s to reduce food waste apparently.

Plenty of trays on Azura. We have sailed on her twice this year.

Often travelling with my mother, who uses a wheelchair, we will find a table and she will tell me what she would like and I would go and get the food. If there are no trays it will mean more than one trip as I only have one pair of hands!

Just now, purplesea said:

Often travelling with my mother, who uses a wheelchair, we will find a table and she will tell me what she would like and I would go and get the food. If there are no trays it will mean more than one trip as I only have one pair of hands!

I am intrayged plenty of trays on our cruises, where  have they gone ?

Very rarely use buffet but when we have never even looked or considered a sweet until I have finished my main course. Then I will make another journey to look and decide which to have if any or go for cheese and biscuits. Think it is a good idea as seen people returning with trays with main course and 2 or 3 deserts and then leave most of it. Amount of food wasted in buffet must be horrendous.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Plenty of trays on Azura. We have sailed on her twice this year.

Yes, they were on the Iona and Ventura last time we went, but they are slowly removing them from the fleet. They were there, but the plan is that they won’t be in future.

44 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I am intrayged plenty of trays on our cruises, where  have they gone ?

They are being removed. From the fleet. They were there, and soon they won’t be there. 

unless everyone complains and stops cruising, in which case P&O may retract their plans.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Cloudyrain said:

They are being removed. From the fleet. They were there, and soon they won’t be there. 

unless everyone complains and stops cruising, in which case P&O may retract their plans.

If we go into the buffet and there are no trays I will ask for one.

A bit of a storm in a tea cup imo. To me it seems natural to go to a buffet for one course at a time. I recently cruised with another line which did not provide trays and I do not recall anyone commenting on their absence; indeed until I read this thread I never even thought about it.

• Like 7

I understand why trays are being phased out, not just on P&O, but try eating / cruising on your own, sitting down with some cereal and juice, then try getting up to get an omelette or some toast - you either lose your table, the waiters immediately clear the table when you stand up .. or both.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1