Learned something today about OBC promotions

coaster

Our sailing went up a little, but more OBC being offered now to more than offset the higher price. Thought you could always reprice for newer promotions before final payment. Called and was denied since I booked NRD.  Cancelling and rebooking with a $200 hit was the option given. Thought I was pretty savvy, but I guess I don't know it all.

I think you should be able to do what you want to do. You are not changing ship or sail date - that would kick in the $200 hit, not what you are proposing to do.  I would call back and talk with a different person.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Xfedcruiser said:

I think you should be able to do what you want to do. You are not changing ship or sail date - that would kick in the $200 hit, not what you are proposing to do.  I would call back and talk with a different person.

Called twice. First rep did not check and automatically said a $200 penalty would apply and second rep put me on hold for awhile to check. Thought same sailing would not be an issue. Second rep said after a long hold that since I didn't book within the current promo booking window, that they could not reprice with extra OBC. Cancel and rebook with a $200 penalty.

Edited by coaster

Quote from their Best Price Guarantee page:

Request to Add or Change an Added Value Offer

Celebrity will 1) apply an Added Value Offer to booking and 2) go to prevailing eligible cruise fare

NOTE: If either the new cruise fare or Added Value Offer is not combinable with any promotion associated with the existing booking, or changes are being made outside of promotional booking window, the existing promotion will be removed from the booking. No refund or exchange will be given on a promotion offer (added value)

NOTE: an Added Value Offer refers to an amenity added to your booking, such as an onboard credit, specialty dining, shore excursion, etc.

To me, this means that any OBC you got from your initial booking (the "existing promotion") would be deleted, along with any other promotions that were included in that booking, as you are now booking under the new terms. Would it still be a total savings to rebook? If yes, I still think you should be able to.   

• Thanks 1

The $200 penalty to rebook would negate most of the extra OBC. Really thought we could keep the same reservation and have the extra OBC since we are not changing ships or sailing date, Thought we might lose our $175 OBC credit from booking onboard, but the $400 OBC credit offer would of been better. Adding the $200 penalty to cancel and rebook would only save us a few dollars.  The wording above does not mention having to cancel and rebook.  That is where it seems strange to me as they keep saying we need to cancel and rebook to get the better OBC promo which leads to a $200 penalty.

Edited by coaster

14 minutes ago, coaster said:

The $200 penalty to rebook would negate most of the extra OBC. Really thought we could keep the same reservation and have the extra OBC since we are not changing ships or sailing date, Thought we might lose our $175 OBC credit from booking onboard, but the $400 OBC credit offer would of been better. Adding the $200 penalty to cancel and rebook would only save us a few dollars.  The wording above does not mention having to cancel and rebook.  That is where it seems strange to me as they keep saying we need to cancel and rebook to get the better OBC promo which leads to a $200 penalty.

If I’m not mistaken if you cancel and rebook a cruise you originally booked while on a cruise (I.e., changing the booking number), you will also lose that special OBC perk you got for booking it onboard as it is linked to that original booking number.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

4 hours ago, Xfedcruiser said:

The rules changed couple months ago.  Changing now costs the $200.

9 hours ago, coaster said:

Our sailing went up a little, but more OBC being offered now to more than offset the higher price. Thought you could always reprice for newer promotions before final payment. Called and was denied since I booked NRD.  Cancelling and rebooking with a $200 hit was the option given. Thought I was pretty savvy, but I guess I don't know it all.

Try calling back.  I had a similar situation but mine was a price drop.  I called about a month ago and I was given the same option as you.  I tried again this past weekend and they honored the price drop.  Even though it isn't quite the same, you may get lucky.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Try calling back.  I had a similar situation but mine was a price drop.  I called about a month ago and I was given the same option as you.  I tried again this past weekend and they honored the price drop.  Even though it isn't quite the same, you may get lucky.

Called again. They say that the higher OBC credit promotion are only for new bookings within a certain window. So much for booking in advance and expecting the best price and promotions to be honored before final payment.

12 minutes ago, coaster said:

Called again. They say that the higher OBC credit promotion are only for new bookings within a certain window. So much for booking in advance and expecting the best price and promotions to be honored before final payment.

Yep.  Agree.  

12 minutes ago, coaster said:

The games they are playing.  Book early and get the best prices and promos.  

I have made 2 bookings in the last month and would have gained by the current promo if I booked now.   Both are with NRD and the gain plus more would be lost by the MRD.  On both cruises I would have gained about $150 in OBC considering the increase in the cruise price.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

Previous deal better.  We booked 2 cruises just before this promo.  For 1 the OBC is $200 more now but the price is $400 higher.  The other the OBC is $300 more and the price is $600 higher.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jelayne said:

Previous deal better.  We booked 2 cruises just before this promo.  For 1 the OBC is $200 more now but the price is $400 higher.  The other the OBC is $300 more and the price is $600 higher.  

Our price has increased by only $17 total. Not getting the $225 in extra OBC as Celebrity won't allow us to switch to the new promo without cancelling and rebooking. Booking early is not always the best strategy in our case.