First Beverage Recommendations?

My recent cruises have been on Princess. When we get on board, we head up to the pool deck and get an Ultimate Cooler to have as our first drink on board before / while we explore. It's refreshing, not too sweet, not frozen, and just tasty goodness.

Do you have a recommendation for a good first beverage on HAL? 

Although reading about the troubles getting on the ship in Vancouver, a shot of tequila might need to be the first one. 😀

• Haha 2

We pre-order the Bon Voyage champaign-when we get in our room we open the champaign and watch the muster drill video-after we empty the bottle we go to our station to get checked off and prepare for sail away-it's a great start to the cruise !

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Don Kehote said:

Weng Weng is the truth.

Wow! I looked up the recipe. I don't think there's a booze not in that drink.

Long Island Iced Tea, "I have so much booze. You'll never believe this drink."

Weng Weng, "please allow me to introduce myself and introduce your face to the floor."

• Haha 5

I enjoy their Mojitos, light & refreshing.  I think they have a few different flavors-guava or mango, can't remember, but I enjoyed them last time on the NS.  Not much alcohol for the light drinker.

• Like 1

Depending on your ship, I’d vote for the Tamarind bar as a first night stop.  May have to wait until 4-5 for them to open, but the views from high up during sail away are lovely and most non-mariners haven’t found it yet the first night. The drink menu is more interesting than most other bars, with some fruity, some herbal choices and they can also make the mango or lychee martinis spicy if you ask- my favs! I think they muddle a pepper in there 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GoHawks-43-8 said:

Wow! I looked up the recipe. I don't think there's a booze not in that drink.

Long Island Iced Tea, "I have so much booze. You'll never believe this drink."

Weng Weng, "please allow me to introduce myself and introduce your face to the floor."

And amazingly a Weng Weng is included in the regular signature beverage package.  I've tried it.  Yes, it's strong, but, unlike that famous potato chip, you shouldn't have more than one.

• Haha 1

Interesting stuff... I had to look up the Weng-Weng.  Never heard of it up until four minutes ago.  Yikes, that is a lot of DIFFERENT types of alcohol.

Is there something called "Pusser's Punch"... etc?  If I have the name wrong, do forgive me.  I thought i overheard that beverage being ordered last time on the Zuidy.

----misterMatthew

2 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I think the Mariners Cocktail is a nice refreshing cocktail to have upon embarkation. Light, somewhat sweet but not too much. If you don’t have a drink package you will get a coupon to use as a HAL Mariner. 

I love the Mariners Cocktail!!  On one cruise I didn't have the coupon in my cabin on embarkation.  I was sad, said something to my stewards and they brought me 2!!!  Love the Mariners Cocktail!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MisterMatthew said:

Interesting stuff... I had to look up the Weng-Weng.  Never heard of it up until four minutes ago.  Yikes, that is a lot of DIFFERENT types of alcohol.

Is there something called "Pusser's Punch"... etc?  If I have the name wrong, do forgive me.  I thought i overheard that beverage being ordered last time on the Zuidy.

----misterMatthew

I have seen the Pussers Punch as the drink of the day in Caribbean sailings.  But I bet you could ask for it anytime.  I think it’s a rum based cocktail with juices. 

I find many of the HAL bartenders (I only ask if it’s not too busy) will take the time to make you something a bit custom if you find things too sweet, want a liquor swapped out for something else, etc. etc.  I usually think he drinks with juice are too sugary and prefer some of the juice replaced with club soda 

15 hours ago, GoHawks-43-8 said:

My recent cruises have been on Princess. When we get on board, we head up to the pool deck and get an Ultimate Cooler to have as our first drink on board before / while we explore. It's refreshing, not too sweet, not frozen, and just tasty goodness.

Do you have a recommendation for a good first beverage on HAL? 

Although reading about the troubles getting on the ship in Vancouver, a shot of tequila might need to be the first one. 😀

We generally don't drink liquor, so our first drink is typically just beer 🙄 , but, the one liquor drink I will have at some point (or two) is HAL"s  mocktail "Cool as a Cucumber" but with Gin. I drink them often as their listed mocktails, but they are really with gin (some folks have them add vodka, but I think it is a better Gin drink).

It is super refreshing, not too sweet and not frozen. Definitely try one at some point on your cruise since you are building quite a list of "first's" to contend with and I'm worried it won't make the cut 🙃

• Like 3

This thread has been interesting/educational for me.  I don't really drink alcohol, so don't know the names of different drinks or what might be in them unless I see a menu listing ingredients.  When on a cruise, especially if we have the HIA or beverage pkg, I like to try different cocktails.  No weng weng for me, but pussers punch sounds good.

11 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I think the Mariners Cocktail is a nice refreshing cocktail to have upon embarkation. Light, somewhat sweet but not too much. If you don’t have a drink package you will get a coupon to use as a HAL Mariner. 

I can't find the mariners cocktail listed on any of the bar menus. Can you tell me what's in it? And is it available from all the bars?

Edited by yerdua
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, yerdua said:

I can't find the mariners cocktail listed on any of the bar menus. Can you tell me what's in it? And is it available from all the bars?

It is St. Germaine liquor, sparkling wine of some sort and club soda, with a garnish-mint, I believe.  Wasn’t my fav so next cruise I tried to redeem it for something else and they sort of said it’s good for one of “anything”, although I suspect that response may vary based on the bartender.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Dobby36 said:

It is St. Germaine liquor, sparkling wine of some sort and club soda, with a garnish-mint, I believe.  Wasn’t my fav so next cruise I tried to redeem it for something else and they sort of said it’s good for one of “anything”, although I suspect that response may vary based on the bartender.

I haven't tried the Mariner Cocktail because I think it's criminal to dilute champagne or any sparkling wine with sparkling water. Hard liquor, sure, but fizz should not be "stretched" with water. 

Rum punch is my usual starter. I don't think it's Pusser's rum, but it's a good start to a cruise. Sometimes a daiquiri is my first drink. Are any of the Tamarind drinks were available in other bars? The cucumber mojito was divine. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 5:40 AM, yerdua said:

On 5/10/2023 at 6:15 AM, Dobby36 said:

Thank you @Dobby36 for the ingredients. And @yerdua, no it isn’t listed on the bar menus but should be, it’s delightful, and it’s available at all the bars. 

38BEA775-27FA-4880-8237-4A5664351556.thumb.jpeg.b99953843307799d9b38d4f7652c778b.jpeg

Edited by Sharon in AZ

On 5/10/2023 at 9:40 AM, yerdua said:

Here's what I was told:

prosecco
Elderberry liqueur
splash of club soda

On 5/12/2023 at 2:32 PM, awhfy said:

Our first drink on board is always a SeaBreeze (Grey Goose or Ketel One vodka, grapefruit juice & a splash of cranberry juice)

That's a great drink - my Florida fave; also called a Greyhound without the cranberry.  Used to be specialty of Greyhound bus terminal restaurants back in the day.

Unfortunately grapefruit now off limits for me.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 6:35 AM, ExpatBride said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a Pimm's Cup on HAL? That would be my first choice followed by a good old Hendrik's & tonic. 

Looking at the menus published here and elsewhere - I haven't even seen any Hendricks - the gin collection seems very,very limited - to basically Bombay 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lissie said:

Looking at the menus published here and elsewhere - I haven't even seen any Hendricks - the gin collection seems very,very limited - to basically Bombay 

Hubby seems to think Hendrick's was there, but only in the premium package or for an "upcharge" .

Seem to recall Bombay, Gordon's, Tanqueray being available at the Ocean bar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1