General Carnival Cruising Questions

OCA REP

Hello, everyone!

I have a co-worker that will be cruising on the Carnival Elation out of Jacksonville, FL this June with her daughter and a number of other recent high school graduates and their parents.  It has been about 25 years since we cruised Carnival, but I am a member of Cruise Critic and told her I would post her questions and provide her feedback... so thanks in advance!

• Are you allowed to take a Yeti-style stainless cup to use onboard?  If so, can you use this cup to refill with ice and water onboard?

• Will there be a hair dryer in each stateroom... or must she take one with her from home?

• Is the cruise terminal in Jacksonville the best place to park when driving to join the ship?

• If her daughter's passport does not arrive in time, will they accept a certified birth certificate to board the ship?

• Does anyone know if there is somewhere relatively close to the Jacksonville Cruise Port where water can be purchased in cans or cartons?  She is not 100% sure what type of water containers Carnival allows you to bring onboard at embarkation... and the maximum quantity.

4 minutes ago, OCA REP said:

Hello, everyone!

I have a co-worker that will be cruising on the Carnival Elation out of Jacksonville, FL this June with her daughter and a number of other recent high school graduates and their parents.  It has been about 25 years since we cruised Carnival, but I am a member of Cruise Critic and told her I would post her questions and provide her feedback... so thanks in advance!

• Are you allowed to take a Yeti-style stainless cup to use onboard?  If so, can you use this cup to refill with ice and water onboard?  Yes

• Will there be a hair dryer in each stateroom... or must she take one with her from home? Yes there is one in the room

• Is the cruise terminal in Jacksonville the best place to park when driving to join the ship?  Not sure about this one...

• If her daughter's passport does not arrive in time, will they accept a certified birth certificate to board the ship?  Yes they will with picture ID

• Does anyone know if there is somewhere relatively close to the Jacksonville Cruise Port where water can be purchased in cans or cartons?  She is not 100% sure what type of water containers Carnival allows you to bring onboard at embarkation... and the maximum quantity.  One twelve pack per person--No plastic bottles.  Water in a can is hard to find--you can pre-order a 12 pack of water for the room for $12

• Like 1

Liquid Death is one popular (expensive!) brand of canned water. I have driven past the JAXPORT area on I-295, but never been to the port itself so I can't say if there are other options for parking, or nearby stores.

• Like 1

We parked at the Jacksonville port, back in 2014. Things may have changed since then, but it was very easy.  Drove through a bunch of winding lanes marked off by cones.  Stopped in an area to unload luggage to give to the porters.  Then continued on to the lot.  Very short walk to the entrance to the terminal. 

Terminal isn't much to look at, but it gets the job done.

Only other thing was that the directions to the port were a bit confusing, I remember we had to make quite a few turns after getting off the interstate.

• Like 1

I was just there a month ago.  

I believe you have two options. The first option is the actual cruise port parking. This is more expensive. It is about $85 for five days.

The second choice is  “mall parking”.  
I don’t know why they call it this, because it’s not a mall. It is directly across the street from the cruise parking.  It is $55 for five days.  This is where we parked, and it was very simple.  My friend has a very expensive van and she was fine with leaving it there.  You can see it on Google Maps.  

https://jaxportparking.com

in fact, we accidentally drove into the cruise area, only to be told that what we’re looking for was across the street.  Since we already pre-paid for it, I went ahead and parked at the “mall.”

You can find other information and the Florida Departures section of cruise critic. 
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/386-florida-departures/

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, UGACamper said:

Carnivals water is cheap enough to order pre cruise. Don’t waste your carryon drink allotment for that. Bring soda or more alcohol for the parents!

You can only bring on 1 bottle of wine per adult, but that's separate than the soda/water allotment - so bringing on canned water would not affect how much wine you can bring on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OCA REP said:

Hello, everyone!

• Are you allowed to take a Yeti-style stainless cup to use onboard?  If so, can you use this cup to refill with ice and water onboard?    YES, just make sure it is empty.  Also, please remind them do not just refill your cup direct from spouts.  Always grab a fresh clean cup, fill that and then dump into your cup.  This avoids germs being cross contaminated.

• Will there be a hair dryer in each stateroom... or must she take one with her from home?  Yes, there is a hairdryer

• If her daughter's passport does not arrive in time, will they accept a certified birth certificate to board the ship?  Drivers License and Photo ID will work.

Also as someone else mentioned, just preorder Carnival's 12 packs of water so much easier and not that expensive.

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, UGACamper said:

Carnivals water is cheap enough to order pre cruise. Don’t waste your carryon drink allotment for that. Bring soda or more alcohol for the parents!

Right, bottled water from Carnival is a good option unless you have an environmental objection to plastic bottled water. If so boxed water is also an option. Canned and boxed water is available from Amazon. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

Right, bottled water from Carnival is a good option unless you have an environmental objection to plastic bottled water. If so boxed water is also an option. Canned and boxed water is available from Amazon. 

What is more environmentally unfriendly, a plastic bottle or ordering canned water to be delivered to your home in a box truck I wonder? I'm sure somebody has done the math.

Edited by mz-s
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, mz-s said:

What is more environmentally unfriendly, a plastic bottle or ordering canned water to be delivered to your home in a box truck I wonder? I'm sure somebody has done the math.

I wasn't advocating for ordering Amanzon-I was just giving an option.  I am personally boycotting Amazon right now- but their trucks are still rolling down my street a dozen times a day. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

I wasn't advocating for ordering Amanzon-I was just giving an option.  I am personally boycotting Amazon right now- but their trucks are still rolling down my street a dozen times a day. 

One thing is for sure, it is much easier to recycle an aluminum can than it is a plastic bottle. It is a shame that canned water is hard to find in a lot of stores. One brand I know of is Liquid Death but it is very expensive. I fully concur re: Amazon.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mz-s said:

One thing is for sure, it is much easier to recycle an aluminum can than it is a plastic bottle. It is a shame that canned water is hard to find in a lot of stores. One brand I know of is Liquid Death but it is very expensive. I fully concur re: Amazon.

Are paper boxes easy to recycle? Since they also sell water in those.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

Are paper boxes easy to recycle? Since they also sell water in those.

But carnival only allows canned water. We brought some flavored carbonated canned water but never drank it.  My friend was ok with the free water onboard.

To OP you arent supposed to fill containers directly from water spigot. Hygiene reasons. The sign says use a clean cup to refill your containers. Some people being those little flavor things to flavor the free water. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wennfred said:

In reference to Birth Certificates, make sure it the original or a copy issued by the state department and with a raised seal.

Not all certified copies have the raised seal.  That isn't a requirement. 

• Like 3

I would answer "yes" to the first four of your questions! While parking at the port may not be the cheapest, it is easy and SO convenient.

As far as water is concerned, ordering ahead from Carnival may be the best option, as others have suggested.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

We parked at the Jacksonville port, back in 2014. Things may have changed since then, but it was very easy.  Drove through a bunch of winding lanes marked off by cones.  Stopped in an area to unload luggage to give to the porters.  Then continued on to the lot.  Very short walk to the entrance to the terminal. 

Terminal isn't much to look at, but it gets the job done.

Only other thing was that the directions to the port were a bit confusing, I remember we had to make quite a few turns after getting off the interstate.

Parking has changed a lot since 2014.  Even since 2017 which was my last JAX cruise until after the pandemic.  This is where parking was back then...way off to the right.

00-WxZi_LU868kT2HrtfQ4xeUif5jgFlzWejUl8v

I sailed again in March 2022, and again in March 2023.  Parking is now right in front of the ship.  

It's off to the left now, 

I'm standing on deck, and can see my car in the lot.  You drive around to the striped patch by the blue canopy and drop off your checked bags.  Then go park.  The cream canopy leading right from the blue is the walkway to the terminal.  

I believe the website tells you to take the bypass and get off at Hecksher drive.  I prefer to continue on I-95 and get off at Zoo Parkway/Hecksher Drive.  The drive is about five miles, but there are two causeways at the end where you can get a great view of the ship.  Unfortunately there is no place to pull over for pictures since they four-laned the road.  But those in the passenger seats with cameras poised might manage a shot or two...EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Wennfred said:

In reference to Birth Certificates, make sure it the original or a copy issued by the state department and with a raised seal.

This is incorrect information

I encourage people to get the information regarding ID documentation etc from Carnival directly - it is in plain English on their website - and not ask online because you are bound to get incorrect information.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 3

Go ahead, listen to these people and drop $4000. to be left behind because you failed to bring an official birth certificate document to the cruise terminal.

When you get a copy from the government agency it comes with the raised seal. That’s why they stress it has to be official.

Ive been cruising since 1983 and this topic has been posted tons of times since,  not only on CC but on other cruise forums as well. 

From the website below:

For instance, Carnival states that a copy of the birth certificate doesn’t need to be notarized or certified while Royal Caribbean says that “all documents must be original or a notarized copy.”

For cruising purposes, we recommend your birth certificate be a notarized copy with some sort of official seal.

https://www.cruzely.com/guide-to-using-a-birth-certificate-to-cruise/#:~:text=For instance%2C Carnival states that,some sort of official seal.

• Like 1

And yes, it’s written in English on Carnival’s website. The copy issued by the Govt agency will arrive with a seal.

Birth Certificate Information 

The following are acceptable: 

• An original or copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics 
  •  
  • A clear, legible copy (photocopy) of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. 

• This explains the seal:

One of the main things that will help you determine if your certified birth certificate is official is a government seal. Look for the seal and if you can’t find one it means you have an informational copy only. Requesting an certified copy of your birth certificate won’t be difficult and you don’t even have to go to your vital records office, you can order a birth certificate online. All copies must be obtained directly from the agency that issued the original document (hence the seal), so a photocopy is not a valid copy.

https://www.usbirthcertificates.com/articles/how-to-determine-birth-certificate-official/amp

but don’t listen to me, listen to these other people that don’t have a freaking clue.

3 hours ago, Wennfred said:

Birth Certificate Information 

The following are acceptable: 

• An original or copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics 
  •  
  • A clear, legible copy (photocopy) of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. 

•  

I'm confused on why you copy the information from their website, which says a photocopy of the birth certificate is acceptable, and then tell people you can't use it? Then you attack/name call the people that read the website and understand it correctly.

We sail with a copy of sons' birth certificates rather than the original, because I dont mind losing a $.25 piece of paper if something bad happened to my paperwork. They are younger than 10, so we don't even an ID for them.

• Like 4

On 5/11/2023 at 12:08 AM, Wennfred said:

NO a raised seal (implying an original document) is NOT required. You can make a photocopy of that document on your good old fashioned home printer and present it. You are correct that it needs to be the Official state issued document, not a hospital record.

• Like 2