We're Done With The L/A Office

Heidi13

Will be on O later this year, last time 2019.  Have been on 2 VO cruises post p.  Really enjoyed both.  Anxious to see what O is like now.

Considering doing a live from, on O board.  On live from will not post comparison O vs. V.

Leaving that for after voyage.  Not sure on which board comparison should be.

4 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

I agree, as this is a Viking board.

[that quote is from Vineyard View—but since I quoted it in that post, it shows up as his/hers.]

I posted it on this thread because the thread deviated earlier and I was asked to report back our experiences with SB and V. I was responding to those several posts. I do not want to derail this thread so I will post separately as asked. It may take a couple days but I will do that. As well as my feedback of comparison between the two - which is what led me to the price comparison afterwards.
In the meantime it is accessible on the O board. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

I agree, as this is a Viking board.

[that quote is from Vineyard View—but since I quoted it in that post, it shows up as his/hers.]

Yes....how DARE anyone post something in the Viking board that might be, in any way, a comparison with another cruise line that might be detrimental to Viking.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I don’t think this is the correct thread to post it, but you can find it on Oceania ‘looking for greener grass’ thread. If someone thinks it should be,ported here on Viking in its own separate thread I will be happy to do so. 

I had followed your analysis on the Oceania board. I found it based on facts, with your assumptions and occasional opinions clearly delineated.

In my view, comparison such as yours are extremely valuable and are appropriate for posting on each of the cruise line boards that they reference. I agree that they warrant a new thread, as you offered. Hopefully you'll do so here - it will be informative and will likely spark more useful discussion. 🍺🥌

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I will write up the review that I promised between our Viking experiences and our recent Seabourn cruise in the next several days.

I have been busy doing an in-depth pricing  comparison between Viking, Oceania, and Seabourn in anticipation of the upcoming pricing changes at Oceania. I wanted to put together a true cost per day comparison between the three with as close as possible cabins and their locations, length of days on ship, similar time frames (April/May) in the Mediterranean next year. They are not totally matched up in areas/ports but I chose what was of greatest interest to us.  I used the comparison with Seabourn verandah midship as my base. There are other cabins of less or more cost available on all companies. I don’t think this is the correct thread to post it, but you can find it on Oceania ‘looking for greener grass’ thread. If someone thinks it should be,ported here on Viking in its own separate thread I will be happy to do so. It was eye opening. It further cemented that depending on what is important to you individually certainly helps define what lines may be a better option for you. That said, with Oceania’s changes on July 1 the game will change with them. Likely significantly. 

You have clearly done a considerable amount of work. I'll suggest this is worthy of it's own thread (on the Viking Board), as it will be easier to research in the future.

Edited by Heidi13
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

I had followed your analysis on the Oceania board. I found it based on facts, with your assumptions and occasional opinions clearly delineated.

In my view, comparison such as yours are extremely valuable and are appropriate for posting on each of the cruise line boards that they reference. I agree that they warrant a new thread, as you offered. Hopefully you'll do so here - it will be informative and will likely spark more useful discussion. 🍺🥌

Especially so now after the resumption. All the lines were adversely impacted by the shutdown. I believe it will become more common for cruisers to patronize more than one line and such comparative analyses, while challenging to conduct, will help consumers make decisions based on individual preferences and priorities.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I am adding to the thread, not that we are done with Viking, we are not but to share poor shoreside customer service.

I may have noted earlier how in May of this year we booked Auckland to Sydney December 2023.  At the time of booking we were on the fence about the post cruise extension in Sydney as we thought we could do much better on our own.  Customer Service had us book it as we can later cancel.

Issues:

1.  Without consultation while still booked for the excursion our flight home was changed from January 4 to the 3rd.  We spend over one hour on the phone explaining this and the customer service agent having to consult with the air desk, why couldn't we just speak directly?

2.  Today I booked two nights at the same hotel as the post cruise extension using airline miles and I called Viking to cancel the post cruise extension.  This was faster, only 20 minutes but they had to speak with the air desk.  When the agent came back she wanted to charge an air deviation fee of $100 each.  I explained with Air Plus and we paid the deviation fee to arrive in Auckland one day early we should not need to pay it again as we are just canceling the post cruise extension.  More time on hold and then they agree that there is no charge.

Having had to call multiple HVAC contractors who lack enough technicians these days and watching court proceedings without reporters due to lack of court reporters I understand the shortage of qualified employees, however in both instances the customer service agent had to speak with another agent numerous times on each call.  Based on prior cruises and everyone's comments I know that on the ship customer standards still apply, but I certainly understand the frustration that Andy (Heidi13) experienced.

• Like 4

PasadenaDave, you and I endured the “talk to first line, wait forever for supervisor to fix” situation. The first line people are mere order-takers, like at a McDonald’s. Anyway, that’s my estimation.

Andy’s situation went much deeper than that.

• Like 3