TxTeach79's Pride LIVE 5/28: Post Drydock European Adventure!

TxTeach79

We didn’t do CHEERS on this trip for the first time since Miracle to Alaska last year. 10 out of 12 days are in port, so I figured it probably wasn’t worth the considerable expense. But still, I know I’ll run up a decent tab, so TBD on if this was the right decision. I’ve read in a bunch of places that it’s not an issue to bring booze onboard in Europe, but that concept is so foreign to me I’ll believe it when I see it…..

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, TxTeach79 said:

We didn’t do CHEERS on this trip for the first time since Miracle to Alaska last year. 10 out of 12 days are in port, so I figured it probably wasn’t worth the considerable expense. But still, I know I’ll run up a decent tab, so TBD on if this was the right decision. I’ve read in a bunch of places that it’s not an issue to bring booze onboard in Europe, but that concept is so foreign to me I’ll believe it when I see it…..

“Officially” Carnival says no. Same rules as US ports. BUT on our TA on the Pride last fall we took a bottle of liqueur in our carryon when we boarded in Lisbon and people we travelled with took 2 bottles of Baileys in their checked luggage. We were all prepared to have it confiscated. No one even looked at it. Then after we went through security in the terminal there was an entire liquor store😮. Saw lots of people carrying bottles on straight to their cabins.  Can’t say what will happen at any given port this year, but I think chances are much better you can carry anything on at any port (embarkation or not) than that it will be taken away. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, lennythenose said:

“Officially” Carnival says no. Same rules as US ports. BUT on our TA on the Pride last fall we took a bottle of liqueur in our carryon when we boarded in Lisbon and people we travelled with took 2 bottles of Baileys in their checked luggage. We were all prepared to have it confiscated. No one even looked at it. Then after we went through security in the terminal there was an entire liquor store😮. Saw lots of people carrying bottles on straight to their cabins.  Can’t say what will happen at any given port this year, but I think chances are much better you can carry anything on at any port (embarkation or not) than that it will be taken away. 

that’s wild! Yeah, I’ll probably toss a bottle or two of something in my bag in Barcelona and see what it happens. If it makes it, great, if not, lesson learned, and we’ll have it for the room in London!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, lennythenose said:

My husband walked on with Scotch whiskey in Scotland.  Didn't check it or anything. And we walked on with wine in other ports.  Honestly, I don't even know if we attempted to hide it. 

• Like 2

Here’s the hotel plan… I’m a Marriott Bonvoy person as I’ve detailed before, so unless there’s a must stay or big pricing swing, that’s where I generally stay. 

IMG_9676.thumb.png.0535aa7418b1d47938a532a321da572c.png

AC Gava Mar the night we arrive at BCN. Gava is a little beach area out west of center city Barcelona, but it’s close to the airport, and this stop will be almost entirely used to sleep and conquer jet lag. We’ll be landing around 6p Barcelona time after about 20 hours or so of travel with only plane sleep possible, so this is gonna be an immediate zonk out. If I do have any waking hours, it’s walkable to a beach area id like to check out. 

IMG_9677.thumb.png.43b4e83150174bfe8cc8d2d4d8d57027.png

our main stay in Barcelona is at the Renaissance Fira in L’Hospitalet de Llobregat on the west side of the city. It’s not particularly centrally located, but it’s right next to a metro station and a short ride into town, which we don’t mind. We saved a decent amount of money, I generally really enjoy the Renaissance brand, and we kind of like the relative peace and quiet of being outside a bit. Plus, it looks like it has a killer rooftop pool view with a bar that supposedly makes a righteous sangria, so I’m all about carving out a couple hours for that!

IMG_9678.thumb.png.430262f98de2006f4fe4b6db05ff347c.png

Hotel wise, I’m the most excited about this post cruise. The Dixon is a century old magistrate’s court just next to the Tower Bridge. Great location, and all sorts of cool nods to its past, like crystal handcuffs hidden in the chandelier and the bar located in the old courtroom with mugshots of actual inmates who spent time in some of the cells on site as framed art on the walls. Plus, B’s cousin and his wife live in London so we’ll have personal local tour guides at our disposal. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, HelloItsMeB said:

Guess who’s back, back again?! 😜 Hi, y’all! Can’t wait for this vacay! 

Yay!!!  The only way this would be more fun if if I were there too, but I’ll settle for reading about y’all’s trip😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Carnival excursions lined up for this one….  Nothing at the moment in Gibraltar, La Coruna, and Porto…. B wants to find an independent food oriented tour in Porto, but I’m leaving that to her. Gibraltar and La Coruna appear to be very walkable from the ship. 

IMG_9698.thumb.jpeg.d183e72669bd7ab0978bf6044d7969a0.jpeg

IMG_9699.thumb.jpeg.d6523c296d1adf6af3a39cbf80a5c58d.jpeg

IMG_9700.thumb.jpeg.c864335c590f665ae43b4615136d108c.jpeg

IMG_9702.thumb.jpeg.4c79127aa419ea3f79c4306842a5d430.jpeg

IMG_9703.thumb.jpeg.09bd366f84c52452b611227fad08c824.jpeg

IMG_9704.thumb.jpeg.68488f69be416afc4c6a62ea7a1b9573.jpeg

and yes, FINALLY. I’m not sure where they’ll have it since the nightclub has lost its bottom dance floor level where they usually do it on Spirit class….

IMG_9705.thumb.jpeg.db82f3d9c0c06d642885d05bbd5bf7f1.jpeg

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, TxTeach79 said:

Nothing at the moment in Gibraltar, La Coruna, and Porto…

This bookstore in Porto was a beautiful place for a look-see. If you do decide to go buy tickets online before heading there. There's a separate and faster queue to enter if you have purchased tickets online. 

https://g.co/kgs/n42gzz

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

This bookstore in Porto was a beautiful place for a look-see. If you do decide to go buy tickets online before heading there. There's a separate and faster queue to enter if you have purchased tickets online. 

https://g.co/kgs/n42gzz

Great to know, thank you for the tip!

@TxTeach79 Look for us on your LHR BCN flight.  We have 9 and 10 year old boys. Husband has longish (Albert Einstein-esq) dark hair and a salt-and-pepper goatee. I look like a fatter version of my profile pic.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

@TxTeach79 - Also, has John mentioned if/when he is going to be on the Pride on that debark day? I would like to meet him.

i haven’t heard that yet! Sailed with him as CD twice in the mid-90’s (Ecstasy and Sensation) so it’s been a while!

• Like 1

I am very excited to be following along!  What an awesome trip this is going to be!

Will try to catch some of the Stars/VGK game this afternoon since it’s raining here in lovely Myrtle Beach.  My Canes lost  in OT AGAIN to the Panthers last night so I’m still in mourning from that.😢

Kim

• Like 2

Just now, LUVMYGSDOG said:

I am very excited to be following along!  What an awesome trip this is going to be!

Will try to catch some of the Stars/VGK game this afternoon since it’s raining here in lovely Myrtle Beach.  My Canes lost  in OT AGAIN to the Panthers last night so I’m still in mourning from that.😢

Kim

I saw some of that one!!! OT losses are just a different kind of brutal, I swear! 

1 minute ago, TxTeach79 said:

I saw some of that one!!! OT losses are just a different kind of brutal, I swear! 

I hate OT with a passion.  At least it didn’t go to 4 OT periods like Thursday night.  THAT was a brutal OT loss.

Kim

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TxTeach79 said:

Agree.

3 minutes ago, LUVMYGSDOG said:

I hate OT with a passion.  At least it didn’t go to 4 OT periods like Thursday night.  THAT was a brutal OT loss.

Kim

Did you stay up and watch the whole 4 periods of OT? I don't think I could have done it. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 9:40 AM, TxTeach79 said:

Here’s the itinerary! Three nights (the first is just catching up on sleep and fighting jet lag) in Barcelona pre, two nights in London post. And then this, the meat in the burger, the main event! 

Sweet!  I'll be in London 6/13 and boarding 6/18 so looking forward to this!

• Like 1