Cruise cards - is there a hole in the cards?

Outside Galveston and getting my embarkation bag prepped for the day. I just realized my hole punch is not in my supplies where it’s been for years.

do RCCL already have holes in the cards?  I have to stop at Walmart and can pick up another one, but I’ll skip it if I don’t need it. 

Thank you. 

5 minutes ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

Outside Galveston and getting my embarkation bag prepped for the day. I just realized my hole punch is not in my supplies where it’s been for years.

do RCCL already have holes in the cards?  I have to stop at Walmart and can pick up another one, but I’ll skip it if I don’t need it. 

Thank you. 

No holes punched

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

No holes. Just stop at guest services if you need a hole punched.

Depending on the ship, you can not punch a hole in the card due to the card being contactless.  A hole will cause damage to the card making it not work

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Depending on the ship, you can not punch a hole in the card due to the card being contactless.  A hole will cause damage to the card making it not work

Hes at Galveston he posted, right now no ships out of texas with a chip. Even allure no chip. 

But true. Oasis out of miami had a chip. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, shof515 said:

you can not punch a hole in the card due to the card being contactless.  A hole will cause damage to the card making it not work

Easy to tell where to punch the hole by holding the card up to a strong light to see the wire and chip.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

Thank you all. 
I had been pleasantly surprised on carnival in March that the card had a hole.

i have no idea where mine went. But with 6 kids - someone prolly took it out for something. 

I’ll grab another one. Thank you all. 

so excited. 

Just go to customer service. Last time they had one sitting out on a table for do it yourself.

4 hours ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

I had been pleasantly surprised on carnival in March that the card had a hole.

Carnival started doing that a few years ago. I'm guessing Guest Services got tired of punching holes. My wife uses a lanyard so I was just going to put her card in one of those small clear card pouches to hang from the lanyard on our upcoming Allure cruise.   

Edited by Rudyard
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vacation...Yes said:

We used the clear pouches & they scan right through them so no need to take care out.

But you can't swipe through the pouches, so you would have to take them out to get into your cabin (if the cabin door requires a swipe), and don't some bars do a "swipe" vs a "scan"?  

We had some success with these on our last cruise: https://www.amazon.com/Gripper-Holder-Plastic-Standard-Thickness/dp/B0B4VP78PV/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3I5RORNPY887M&keywords=card%2Bgripper&qid=1684672770&sprefix=card%2Bgripper%2Caps%2C203&sr=8-3&th=1  You can "offset" the gripper so the cards can be swiped on machines. 

It's wasn't perfect, but better than a pouch or keeping the card loose IMO.  

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

On ships that use the contactless cards, GS knows exactly where the card can be punched without damaging the chip inside but the vast majority of the time they won't do it.

Fixed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Rudyard said:

My wife uses a lanyard so I was just going to put her card in one of those small clear card pouches to hang from the lanyard on our upcoming Allure cruise.   

We were on Allure earlier this month. If you have a drink package, you have to take it out of the pouch every time you order a drink. Same to insert the card in your cabin door. We went to Guest Services the first morning, and they had a hole punch sitting out on the counter to the left. No need to wait in line or anything. Then we used our clear pouches to carry single bills for tipping drink servers! 🙂 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, offtosee said:

We were on Allure earlier this month. If you have a drink package, you have to take it out of the pouch every time you order a drink. Same to insert the card in your cabin door. We went to Guest Services the first morning, and they had a hole punch sitting out on the counter to the left. No need to wait in line or anything. Then we used our clear pouches to carry single bills for tipping drink servers! 🙂 

Thanks for the tip. We'll see if they have a hole punch out. Luckily no drink package and 90% of the time when we're out it's together so she won't have to pull her card out that much to open the door. I keep mine in my pocket. 

Edited by Rudyard

On 5/21/2023 at 10:22 AM, Biker19 said:

but the vast majority of the time they won't do it.

Please do not attach your opinions (even if they are valid) when quoting my posts in a way that makes it look like I made the entire statement.

Edited by orville99

3 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Please do not attach your opinions (even if they are valid) when quoting my posts in a way that makes it look like I made the entire statement.

Only mods have the ability to edit your original post - everyone can see what you originally posted.

15 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Only mods have the ability to edit your original post - everyone can see what you originally posted.

Fixed.

On ships that use the contactless cards, GS knows exactly where the card can be punched without damaging the chip inside but the vast majority of the time they won't do it.

This is how you “fixed” my post to make it look like I made the entire statement. My statement ended with the word inside. You added the rest.

This was my original post:

On ships that use the contactless cards, GS knows exactly where the card can be punched without damaging the chip inside

Edited by orville99

17 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

And they can also see how you edited it so it met with your approval when you declared it “fixed”