Favorite Ice Cream Flavor (s)

lenquixote66

On 5/28/2023 at 3:01 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

There was a clam shack that had great fried seafood and homemade ice cream.

Last time we were on Cape Cod (2018) we came across a similar place. Kate's Seafood at Brewster. My account of the trip said we had blueberry sundaes - delicious vanilla ice cream, topped with "squirty cream" and a sprinkling of berries. This was mid afternoon and we'd already had a clam shack lunch elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, Harters said:

Last time we were on Cape Cod (2018) we came across a similar place. Kate's Seafood at Brewster. My account of the trip said we had blueberry sundaes - delicious vanilla ice cream, topped with "squirty cream" and a sprinkling of berries. This was mid afternoon and we'd already had a clam shack lunch elsewhere.

When I was a kid my parents would take our family camping for a week on Cape Cod.  The Cape was a different place back in the post war era.  It was basically undeveloped.  There were fields and fields of low blueberry bushes.  In late July you could literally go out with a gallon bucket and fill it within an hour.  Those low bush berries were the sweetest.  The Cape was loaded with local berries so finding homemade ice cream with blueberries or blueberry sauce was very common.  Those days of berry picking are long gone but the tradition of blueberries in ice cream on Cape Cod remain.

Thanks again - the history is interesting. It's really only in the last couple of decades that there's been a commercial crop of the American blueberry in Europe. Before that, my only experiences were on holidays to the western side of The Pond.

The European blueberry is a different plant, known by various names (it's a wimberry in my part of the world) are much smaller - about the size of a pea - and much sharper in flavour. Never really grown commerically but I still come across wimberrries for sale occasionally. They make the most delicious pies. Served hot, they need custard to go with them.

Not had fried ice cream but have had "leche frita" in Spain. Other than understanding this meant "fried milk", I had no idea what was going to be put in front of me. Turned out it was a set custard, coated in cinnamon flavoured breadcrumbs and fried. I've no need to order it again.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...