How soon to book flight after returning from cruise

Newcruiser2024

Sorry but we need more information.

domestic or international?

will you be able to do self-disembark, so no help with luggage?

do you have any mobility challenges?

how do you plan to get to the airport?

which airport? Some people fly out of FLL, some out of MIA

do you have status with the airline so you can go through a shorter queue?

do you have TSA pre-check?

When? Next week, next month, next year, October?

Agree I wouldn't be tempted by really early flights. I have status and Global Entry (includes Pre-check) and still just don't feel like rushing to the airport.

Do you fly at least once a year? Do you ever fly internationally? Are you a US Citizen? If you fly internationally, Global Entry is the best $100 you'll ever spend. If you don't fly internationally, but fly at least once a year, TSA Pre is the best $78 you'll ever spend.

Also, check to see how many other ships will be disembarking at the same time.  We did a 10:45am flight in April from Equinox with 3 other ships in, self disembarkation, taxi and were at our gate at FLL by 8:45.

• Like 1

And here are a couple more things to consider. How many fly today are there to your destination? If you book an early flight but the ship is delayed for any reason, what is Plan B for getting home? How full are the later flights? Would there be a charge if you have to fly standby? 

8 hours ago, markeb said:

Do you fly at least once a year? Do you ever fly internationally? Are you a US Citizen? If you fly internationally, Global Entry is the best $100 you'll ever spend. If you don't fly internationally, but fly at least once a year, TSA Pre is the best $78 you'll ever spend.

CLEAR is better though or even better: Have both. It's already included with many credit cards anyway.

2 minutes ago, Ukigirl said:

It’s Sunday 8:15 am, here we are sitting at Fort Lauderdale airport waiting for 11:15 flight. They won’t even let us check our luggage until 10:00, so yes plenty of time!

Never heard of an airline that opens check-in counters 1:15h before departure. Ever.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fly and Sail said:

Never heard of an airline that opens check-in counters 1:15h before departure. Ever.

I agree! We stood in line to check our bags and she said we were too early! Needless to say, I’m pissed right now because the line is twice as long 😡

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ukigirl said:

I agree! We stood in line to check our bags and she said we were too early! Needless to say, I’m pissed right now because the line is twice as long 😡

Happy ending, I explained to a rep and she said that never should have happened and took us to front of line. I’m glad because the baggage check in at that point was extremely long.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ukigirl said:

It’s Sunday 8:15 am, here we are sitting at Fort Lauderdale airport waiting for 11:15 flight. They won’t even let us check our luggage until 10:00, so yes plenty of time!

What airline?  United will let you to check bags three hours prior to departure. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Newcruiser2024 said:

So, it will be a domestic flight. We will be able to self-disembark. No mobility challenges. We'll probably take an Uber to the airport. We'll fly out of FLL. We don't have status with the airline or TSA pre-check. 

I agree with some earlier posts, for me I wouldn't book a domestic flight with a departure time any earlier than 11am out of FLL.

People have booked flights with earlier departure times (9am is the most eye popping aggressive I've seen reported so far), but I personally couldn't do it because I don't want to be worrying about it during the whole cruise. 

1 hour ago, Fly and Sail said:

Luggage drop off starts 3 hours prior to flight at Ft Lauderdale

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

What airline?  United will let you to check bags three hours prior to departure. 

51 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Delta

11 hours ago, markeb said:

Global Entry is the best $100 you'll ever spend. If you don't fly internationally, but fly at least once a year, TSA Pre is the best $78 you'll ever spend.

Nexus is far better at only $50, and includes both GE and Pre privileges.

3 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

3 hours ago, Ukigirl said:

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Yeah, Delta is the outlier at FLL.  Showed up early after a cruise, wanting to enjoy the lounge, only to be told couldn't check in early.  We went back and forth with customer service, etc, and it all boils down to lack of space to store baggage.  It seems that things haven't changed in the 5-10yrs since this happened to us.  With all the cruise traffic, you'd think they would do something about that baggage storage issue. 🤷🏻‍♀️