Saint Greg's Venezia Transatlantic May 29, 2023

Saint Greg

18 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

This is what we have always done. We'll never earn loyalty anywhere. We are sailing Princess, Royal, and Carnival in 2023.

We do that also!   Too many ships and ports to tie us down to one cruise line. We have done Carnival and Azamara recently and have Celebrity booked for next year.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

Some of them may have. Some of them may have just tagged along with their parents as kids.

I earned it. Did that many carnival and paid for each one. Just annoyed at them right now at their texas prices. But I can afford to wait. I wish carnival had more loyalty perks and made it more worth it to pay a little extra. I'm pushing toward pinnacle on rcl, free wifi, a free cruise, bogo every cruise. Carnival gives me a one time free diamond meal. .. I think bogo would get people booking more pay restaurants. Yes I know I digress. I did see finally mardi gras has some less expensive dates .. after Venezia comes in .. seems venezia is competition for mardi gras. Yea... I'll do mardi gras instead and wait for venezia. Yea for venezia. I did 3 on ncl and liked the food, 3 on princess, 1 celebrity which I liked but priced better for couples imo. 

Interesting shop tour. I buy too much of that stuff. So they do actually do a mask night onboard. I saw some chatter. 

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

This is what we have always done. We'll never earn loyalty anywhere. We are sailing Princess, Royal, and Carnival in 2023.

Yeah for me it started out as convenience. Carnival had 4-5 ships year round between New Orleans and Galveston and the prices were pretty good. Now the prices are up, the ports are boring, and the ships are old. Except jubilee which I have booked twice next year. I would be interested in doing a 5 day breeze to get back to progreso but the prices for that are close To what I’ve been paying for a 7 day. And valor is about the same.

Now if I’m going back to the same old ports it needs to be a new ship to me. If it’s an old ship to me it needs to be new ports. I’m not going to the old ports on the old ship and paying double the price just to cruise with carnival. I’m a free agent now.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 33
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

For those who don’t know I was actually born about 50 miles from Venice. Not Venice beach….Venice in Italy. That was one of the things that made this more interesting for me. I was born and naturalized there.

It’s one of those things where I don’t think I needed to be naturalized. Both of my parents are American. But I was born in an Italian hospital. I have an Italian birth certificate. And the way the story goes is the hospital was very adamant that I was an Italian baby.

There was concern that I could be eligible to be drafted into the Italian army one day. So one of my dad’s Italian friends came to town with us and helped me get naturalized.

Can you get an EU passport as well as your American one?  Would make traveling easier.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Now if I’m going back to the same old ports it needs to be a new ship to me. If it’s an old ship to me it needs to be new ports.

We're kinda the same.  We're only cruising new ships the next 2 years, but the ports are the same old same old.  I wouldn't mind doing an older ship to new ports, but the ports I'd like to go to are longer cruises and DW ,as much as she likes cruising, thinks 12 and 14 day cruises are too long.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, pcrum said:

Can you get an EU passport as well as your American one?  Would make traveling easier.

I don’t know. This is on my American one. But this is why I prefer a passport to the birth certificate thing. Not sure if I’d travel enough to justify paying for two passports though.

IMG_3437.jpeg.086d4fb260bb9ae0e4dc1273fc05b15f.jpeg

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

We're kinda the same.  We're only cruising new ships the next 2 years, but the ports are the same old same old.  I wouldn't mind doing an older ship to new ports, but the ports I'd like to go to are longer cruises and DW ,as much as she likes cruising, thinks 12 and 14 day cruises are too long.

I’m willing to do old ships. I’m doing jewel on NCL but they aren’t charging me double. Im getting my ticket, flight, drink package, internet, and four specialty dinners for significantly cheaper than just a ticket on carnival. And carnival is the same old Seattle - Seattle where on NCL I’m doing more of Alaska with Seward - Vancouver.

The RCL ship I’m looking at in the fall is old but going out of Boston. Carnival no longer stops in Boston and the price is again better on RCL.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 18

5 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

The RCL ship I’m looking at in the fall is old but going out of Boston. Carnival no longer stops in Boston and the price is again better.

If you wind up doing rcl, email me and I can suggest a ta if you dont have one. Carnival doesnt matter if you book cheaper cruises, not enough profit for extra obc. Rcl they have group rates, with refundable deposits a bit to more than a bit less than booking direct. And I dont get to combine my balcony discount booking direct, just group rates. Carnival I pay the going rate. Rcl I never pay the going rate. TAs have access to lower group rates on rcl. If you love lower rates, it's worth it. Every rcl in my signature is a group rate. 

If there is a way to get carnival solo cruises for less, I'm interested. No not cards etc. Lol.  I'm moving to PC next year I hope. So more ports easily accessible. More cruiseline choices out of florida than texas. I'm following along here to see comments on dinner especially. Food!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I told her I spent a few days in NYC last year and she wasn’t impressed. “It’s not that great.” I’m noticing a trend of people from upstate New York not being fans of NYC. I had the lady from upstate at alchemy on magic I was talking to last year who took issue with me referring to New York City as New York. 

I think mostly it's a case of some upstaters feeling as if NYC has a "superiority complex," wanting to tell the rest of the state what's good for them. Now, my sons are all upstate natives - they were all born here. (DH and I aren't - I'm from NJ, DH is from Cleveland.) All three of them are Giants fans (even the one who now lives in Buffalo) and two are diehard Mets fans (one is going to the game this Sunday). I spent a career traveling to NYC regularly - usually at least twice a month. I would say all of us enjoy visiting NYC - but we don't want to live there.

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I would be interested in doing a 5 day breeze to get back to progreso...

Now if I’m going back to the same old ports it needs to be a new ship to me. If it’s an old ship to me it needs to be new ports. I’m not going to the old ports on the old ship and paying double the price just to cruise with carnival. I’m a free agent now.

What are you interested in doing in Progreso? We are going there on Breeze in November.

100% agree.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Interesting shop tour. I buy too much of that stuff. So they do actually do a mask night onboard. I saw some chatter. 

Yes. Tonight but it’s not as many people as you would think.

• Like 1