Sunshine and weather

Thenagers

Ya ever wonder why some people sensationalize things?  Recent media reports are indicating that hundreds of passengers have reached out to maritime lawyers.

Get ready to pay more for your next cruise, so somebody else (and their lawyers) can get their money grab.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

Ya ever wonder why some people sensationalize things?  Recent media reports are indicating that hundreds of passengers have reached out to maritime lawyers.

Get ready to pay more for your next cruise, so somebody else (and their lawyers) can get their money grab.

Actually, I read a nice report that asked a maritime lawyer for advice.  His response was - a lawsuit was not warranted lol.  Hopefully they all have this much sense:

"Jim Walker, a maritime lawyer and cruise industry legal expert, says his firm has been contacted by some Carnival Sunshine passengers who were injured during the storm, including a man who says he was struck by a door and broke his foot. Others have asked him about the potential for a class-action lawsuit.

While Walker said passengers should make their complaints known to Carnival, he doesn’t believe filing a lawsuit would be an efficient next step. Instead, impacted passengers can ask Carnival for a refund or a credit for another cruise, although there’s no guarantee the cruise line will grant such requests."

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

Actually, I read a nice report that asked a maritime lawyer for advice.  His response was - a lawsuit was not warranted lol.  Hopefully they all have this much sense:

Jim Walker is notoriously anti-Cruise Industry.  (I check Jim's website almost daily.)  So if he recommends not pursuing litigation, take it seriously.

I reached the same conclusion, that the cruise line is not responsible for the weather.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Tippyton said:

2008 we were supposed to board Carnival Conquest? the day Hurricane Ike hit Galveston.  We were rebooked over Halloween later in the fall.  En route to Jamaica we had 20 foot seas and 55 knot winds. Non-tropical super strong trade winds.  Lots of rocking.  

did NCL to bermuda in 2021 and winds were bad and we circled bermuda 2 days before docking the 3rd day. 76 knot winds arent fun. i think we got a tad OBC that wasnt refundable. basically useless except to load up on booze since was non refundable.  it was my gfs 2nd cruise (just got off oasis 2 weeks before) and i told her if she was ok with this one. she would survive anything.

bermuda 76 knotss 88mph.jpg

bermuda circles.jpg

2 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Jim Walker is notoriously anti-Cruise Industry.  (I check Jim's website almost daily.)  So if he recommends not pursuing litigation, take it seriously.

I reached the same conclusion, that the cruise line is not responsible for the weather.

I certainly hope Carnival sticks to its guns and doesn't pay anything out for this type of event.  If people start successfully suing for things that are completely out of the cruise lines' control, it will be the end of reasonably-priced cruising.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, staceyglow said:

I certainly hope Carnival sticks to its guns and doesn't pay anything out for this type of event.  If people start successfully suing for things that are completely out of the cruise lines' control, it will be the end of reasonably-priced cruising.

Hang tough, Carnival!!  Not a penny for frivolous claims!!!

9 hours ago, staceyglow said:

I can see an FCC being offered to someone who was legitimately injured. I was sick on my last Glory cruise with a stomach bug and received $185 in FCC for being isolated to my cabin and I wouldn't have even thought to ask for it. But an FCC for just being tossed around should not be in play.

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

I can see an FCC being offered to someone who was legitimately injured. I was sick on my last Glory cruise with a stomach bug and received $185 in FCC for being isolated to my cabin and I wouldn't have even thought to ask for it. But an FCC for just being tossed around should not be in play.

Did this happen pre-COVID or post-COVID?  

I ask because most lines were very generous before they took on all the debt during the pandemic.

It's a different playing field now.

1 hour ago, PWP-001 said:

Did this happen pre-COVID or post-COVID?  

I ask because most lines were very generous before they took on all the debt during the pandemic.

It's a different playing field now.

I got off the cruise April 26th.

On 5/29/2023 at 7:57 PM, malba2366 said:

Another in the long line of incidents that highlights the sloppy maritime culture of Carnival Corporation.  This is why I usually sail with RCL or NCL, their maritime operation is based in Scandinavian countries where vessel maintenence and solid seamanship come above everything else.  We are sailing Princess once and Carnival once this season because the schedules worked out better, but it will probably avoid the lines in the future.

You know RCL also sailed through the same storm, right?  As did MSC. 

Guest ldtr
On 5/29/2023 at 11:08 AM, PROCRUISE said:

Now that pictures are appearing on the internet of flooded hallways, destroyed shopping areas and no word from the captain for 12 hrs, would indicate it was a little more than a slight bump in the night. CCL already offering FCC and refunds. Will await the law suits!

The flooding was in crew area next to crew bar. From what others have said that has a direct access to the crew outdoor area on the bow. Unclear if flooding was external or due in an internal pipe break due to ship movement. Saw a waterfall down a stairwell on another ship once due to a pipe break.

As far as the merchandise falling off the ships in the retail area saw that happen before due to a storm and waves.

The ship turned around and went out again in 9 hours. That would nor have happened if there was any serious damage to passenger areas or any cases of damage that impacted external integrity of the ship (such as windows or balcony doors damage).

Damage, while it looks impressive was pretty minor.

Compared to the Viking ship in the Antarctic that actually had balcony doors smashed in and customer cabins seriously damaged or the Royal ship a couple of years ago that had the windows to the crew bar broken out. In both of those cases the ships stayed in port until external integrity was restored. Cancelled cruises in both cases.

Wow.  This was a fun thread to read through!

I am shocked that people still believe ANYTHING that is reported in the media anymore.  They report whatever gets them ratings...  it doesn't have to be the truth!! (and more often than not, ISN'T)

And yet there are so many that just say "baaaaa" 🐏 and take everything reported as truth. 

(do your own research people!)

• Like 3

I would be interested to hear from passengers who sailed on the voyage after this one.  Did they see remnants of damage to the ship?  Were they affected? 

I've seen reports that the inside of the ninth deck was wet.  That's a lot of water.  It doesn't seem like they'd put another group of guests on in a mess, and the mess being depicted by some news outlets would have taken substantial time to clean....?

If it was very bad, how did they get the water-logged carpets cleaned up in time?  What about mold?  In another week, everything that was wet is going to be ooooky.

Again, I'd be interested in the passengers' experiences on the very next voyage.  

• Like 1

There IS a post asking for impressions from this week's cruise.  The last time I looked, responders were saying "why do you ask?" and "did something happen last week?"  No remarks about damage or anything lacking.

• Thanks 1

There was a post 8 hours ago on Carnival social media that showed a young couple enjoying their cruise on the Sunshine and participating in activities around the ship. They made mention of  the fact that despite the crew having to brave previous rough weather,they were able to board and have a great time. They made no comments that would lead one to believe that the ship had in any manner been "destroyed" as some news accounts quoted.

• Like 3

On 5/29/2023 at 10:20 PM, Hlitner said:

Stuff happens.  Some adjust and move on..and others do not!  No different then all those folks who now go through life with constant fear of COVID (I wonder if "covidphobia" is an accepted term).  Most of us have adjusted and move on with our lives.  But others will never be the same.

Emphasis added. 
Such as those with long Covid or dead relatives and friends. 

• Like 2