SFO to BCN: Advice on where to have stop

Gray Lady

We are flying next April to Barcelona from San Francisco. We plan on deviating our flights, and I have been looking at the flight matrix. We would like to have only one stop. We are taking a pre-cruise land tour, so know we arrive in plenty of time for our cruise. I would like opinions on where we should have our one stop. I will list them, and hopefully get some feedback on where with the advantages and disadvantages.

A) Stop at JFK utilizing American Airlines

2) Stop in Toronto utilizing Air Canada

3) Stop in Lisbon using TAP Air Portugal

4) Stop in Munich using United Airlines, and then Lufthansa

5) Stop in Atlanta using Delta/Air France

I know there are many other airports in Europe where we could change planes, but from what I have read we should avoid them. All of these flights allow for a minimum of 2.5 hours or more between flights. 

We usually try, and agree with the common recommendation here, to go all the way to Europe in your first segment.  That would be an overnight flight, leaving from SFO in early afternoon,  landing in Europe in the early to mid morning. Then connecting, which would put you in BCN usually in the early afternoon. You can the go directly to your hotel,  and likely be able to check in.

If your stop is in the US, that usually means an early day flight out of SFO, a longer layover, and typically a very early morning arrival in BCN

Check the Delta/ATL/Air France flight. If you truly are flying Air France out of ATL, that would be another stop at CDG. Delta can take you from ATL non-stop to BCN.

Personally, I would take the SFO-MUC flight. MUC is a wonderful airport to connect in. So much better than your other choices. 

• Thanks 1

To compare our experience with stopping in North America, as opposed to going to Europe non-stop, last summer we flew SFO-Toronto-Copenhagen. It was an award flight, so our choices were limited. We had a 7am flight out of SFO, meaning a very early get up to leave for the airport. This was with a  planned 4 hour layover in Toronto. Originally scheduled to arrive in Copenhagen about 10am local time.

However, our Toronto to Copenhagen left and arrived over 3 hours late. It is only a 6 or so hour flight, so with dinner and breakfast, there wasn't even 4 hours for attempts at sleep. Conversely, the SFO-MUC flight is close to 11 hours, so much more time to attempt sleep, which, at least for me, isn't too hard on a plane. That extra sleep really helps with time zone changes.

That is a key part of the reasoning behind going non-stop to, and connecting in, Europe.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

To compare our experience with stopping in North America, as opposed to going to Europe non-stop, last summer we flew SFO-Toronto-Copenhagen. It was an award flight, so our choices were limited. We had a 7am flight out of SFO, meaning a very early get up to leave for the airport. This was with a  planned 4 hour layover in Toronto. Originally scheduled to arrive in Copenhagen about 10am local time.

However, our Toronto to Copenhagen left and arrived over 3 hours late. It is only a 6 or so hour flight, so with dinner and breakfast, there wasn't even 4 hours for attempts at sleep. Conversely, the SFO-MUC flight is close to 11 hours, so much more time to attempt sleep, which, at least for me, isn't too hard on a plane. That extra sleep really helps with time zone changes.

That is a key part of the reasoning behind going non-stop to, and connecting in, Europe.

Thank you. That really makes sense. We also get business class with Regent for international flights. We just have to hope they have seats and agreements with United and /or Lufthansa so we can get one of those flights without paying an additional arm, leg, or other body part! 🤞

1 hour ago, Gray Lady said:

Thank you. That really makes sense. We also get business class with Regent for international flights. We just have to hope they have seats and agreements with United and /or Lufthansa so we can get one of those flights without paying an additional arm, leg, or other body part! 🤞

The Lufthansa business class within Europe is just a regular economy class seat with some upgrades.

The Air Canada flight would be proper business class all the way.

Also you want to consider your return flight.  On your return you will want to make you connection in Europe or Canada.  That avoids having to deal with bags at the connecting airport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, em-sk said:

The Lufthansa business class within Europe is just a regular economy class seat with some upgrades.

The Air Canada flight would be proper business class all the way.

True. But in the MUC-BCN example you are losing only 90 minutes or so of "proper" business class, but gaining a lot of relatively uninterrupted sleep time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

I will list them, and hopefully get some feedback on where with the advantages and disadvantages.

A) Stop at JFK utilizing American Airlines

2) Stop in Toronto utilizing Air Canada

3) Stop in Lisbon using TAP Air Portugal

4) Stop in Munich using United Airlines, and then Lufthansa

5) Stop in Atlanta using Delta/Air France

I should change plane at JFK. If something goes wrong with your connection there are many planes you can take via LHR to get to Barcelona.

My first choice should be to connect at LHR. (SFO-LHR-BCN)

Edited by sverigecruiser

I would choose #4.  That way, you are in Europe.  Much easier to then get to your final destination if something goes wrong, as you have so many options.  Sometimes, if there’s something such as a weather delay that affects all airlines in the US, you may have to wait days to get from US to Europe.  I can’t think of any airport in Europe I’d avoid for a connection.

• Like 2

I echo the sentiment of getting to Europe and having more options in the unlikely chance something major delays your travel. Lisbon/Munich/Frankfurt/Paris/Amsterdam/Zurich (and even London) would allow you to have many options for plane, train, and even bus if you really, really needed it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gray Lady said:

When we land in Europe before we transfer, and it is a Schengen country, do we have to get our bags to go through customs, or do we just do immigration?

In almost every case, it's immigration only; bags will go directly to your final destination and you will clear customs there (although that is usually just a walk-through formality).

• Like 2

On 5/27/2023 at 3:57 PM, Gray Lady said:

I would contact Regent first and find out which airlines/routes they'll approve.  Of the list I'd probably go with TAP via Lisbon.  You'd have access to United's Polaris lounge at SFO, have a good long overnight with a decent flat bed, and a short connection through Lisbon airport to Barcelona.  TAP's A330-900neo seems to offer a pretty decent flying experience.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gray Lady said:

I have one more newbie question. When we land in Europe before we transfer, and it is a Schengen country, do we have to get our bags to go through customs, or do we just do immigration?

As mentioned, its Immigration only. Customs is incredibly easy...red/green system. If you have anything to declare, you go in the red line. If you don't, you simply walk out the "green door" or exit door.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gardyloo said:

Of the list I'd probably go with TAP via Lisbon.  You'd have access to United's Polaris lounge at SFO, have a good long overnight with a decent flat bed, and a short connection through Lisbon airport to Barcelona.  

TAP would also allow a free stopover if you were interested.

Edited by 6rugrats

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

As mentioned, its Immigration only. Customs is incredibly easy...red/green system. If you have anything to declare, you go in the red line. If you don't, you simply walk out the "green door" or exit door.

To clarify @Gray Lady, the red/green system would be at your final destination. In your case, the flight from one European airport to another (exception if LHR) is essentially domestic, so no Customs if you connected in MUC, or LIS, or FRA, and claimed your bags in BCN, for example.

• Like 1