What to do? Aqua class cabin price reduced to std class veranda cabin price

Kelownadon

As part of the current Memorial Day sale, Celebrity has just reduced the cost of an Aqua class cabin on a 12 night cruise to Morocco in November 2023 to the same price I have just reserved a std veranda class cabin for in November 2024 on the same ship (Infinity) and itinerary. 

My question is if the same thing were to happen on Memorial Day weekend next year what is the chance I can call Celebrity and get them to give me an Aqua class cabin for the same price as my std veranda class cabin. The reason I ask is because someone tried to do something similar just recently on Azamara and they were told they would have to treat it as a new booking and they would lose their original deposit on the original booking. It turned out the savings were so good they changed cabins anyway. Any comments? I guess the second question is if I were to lose my original deposit in such a scenario, is an Aqua class cabin worth the extra $900 for a 12 night cruise?

Edited by Kelownadon

• Kelownadon changed the title to What to do? Aqua class cabin price reduced to std class veranda cabin price

The rules have been changing quite a bit lately.  It would be pure speculation to tell you if the price for Aqua on your 2024sailing would be the same as it is today for the same sailing later this year whether you could change without a penalty.  

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Re: your second question, need more info. Did you book AI with your standard veranda cabin? The AQ fare will include AI.

I booked AI

Edited by Kelownadon

9 minutes ago, Kelownadon said:

I booked AI

Tough choice. Not sure if Blu and spa access is worth that much to me. Others might feel differently. I don't think you can make a bad choice, just a personal one.

For my December cruise on the Infinity, I had my agent cancel the original booking and re-booked in aqua class. I saved about $450, got a lot more OBC and am now in aqua class. We love dining in Blu and enjoy the spa area. For us, it was a no brainer. Now, I do need to find new flights to Barcelona, so hopefully I can get the same flights for the same price, or close to it. 

Monica

I’m in agreement with Monica.  Mark and I prefer dining in Blu, even when we have a Suite.  We’ve always enjoyed Blu’s menu, over the main dining room especially the breakfast menu. It’s brighter, and it’s easy to strike up conversations with others if you wish to with the table configurations.  And on a side note, if you wish to, you can still order something off of the main dining room menu.  They are very accommodating.  We feel it’s worth the extra money we pay.  The spa access is also a nice perk.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kelownadon said:

As part of the current Memorial Day sale, Celebrity has just reduced the cost of an Aqua class cabin on a 12 night cruise to Morocco in November 2023 to the same price I have just reserved a std veranda class cabin for in November 2024 on the same ship (Infinity) and itinerary. 

My question is if the same thing were to happen on Memorial Day weekend next year what is the chance I can call Celebrity and get them to give me an Aqua class cabin for the same price as my std veranda class cabin. The reason I ask is because someone tried to do something similar just recently on Azamara and they were told they would have to treat it as a new booking and they would lose their original deposit on the original booking. It turned out the savings were so good they changed cabins anyway. Any comments? I guess the second question is if I were to lose my original deposit in such a scenario, is an Aqua class cabin worth the extra $900 for a 12 night cruise?

As Azamara is now not owned by Celebrity/Royal any comparison is invalid.

Wether or not there will be a similar sale or price reduction is impossible to tell.

Wether or not Aqua is worth the price is a matter of personal choice - for me the answer is a definite no.

We never book AI (we don't drink alcohol or need unlimited WiFi and our Elite + status covers all our other requirements) and Aqua is not available as Sail Only.

We always share tables at dinner (one of the joys of cruising) meaning Blu has no appeal.

We only book mid ship balconies never above deck 7 which also rules out Aqua.

None of our reasons are right or wrong just personal choices 

Whichever you choose have a great cruise.

• Like 1

From experience the upgrade can be done and in the past I have been able to upgrade to an Aqua 1 for the price of a 2. One of the reasons I like to book on board apart from the savings and OBC is that you can move or change the booking as many times as you like. Personally move to Aqua we would always do it.

As an aside we have an Azamara cruise booked in October and the Memorial Day sale meant the same cabin was £2500 cheaper. I was prepared to lose my £500 deposit and rebook which meant I was still saving £2000.

However my TA sent me the confirmation and my original deposit has also been deducted from the balance due, so very very happy.

• Thanks 1

Call Celebrity, if the Aqua is the same price as current booking in verandah, you will get the AI included. What do you have to lose?  In the past we have done this and not lost any of our deposits, but the rules with X keeps changing.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kelownadon said:

kd - from the post I can only surmize that you have yet to sail in AQ.

Be that as it may, you will find that for some, AQ is the way to go AND if the pricing is the same or better either you or your TA need to call X to figure out how to snatch up the deal...

Have you read the description of AQ cabins and their amenities, yet?

For us, it would be a no brainer to make the change despite any possible deposit loss/adjustment were the pricing the same or better than a verandah.

In the end, it is up to you with some salient input, as to if is worth it or not for you...

Good luck and bon voyage

• Like 1

Also, Aqua isn’t just about dining in Blu.  You have a nicer shower head configuration, some extra amenities in your stateroom such a daily bottles of water, lip gloss, slippers, robes, exercise classes included at no cost if you so choose to go to the gym, a complimentary welcome bottle of sparking wine or regular wine (this you must request, as it is no longer automatically delivered to your stateroom). There are a few nice extra touches in addition to Blu.  But it is subjective. Some love it, some don’t. We happen to love it.

2 minutes ago, MandL said:

Also, Aqua isn’t just about dining in Blu.  You have a nicer shower head configuration, some extra amenities in your stateroom such a daily bottles of water, lip gloss, slippers, robes, exercise classes included at no cost if you so choose to go to the gym, a complimentary welcome bottle of sparking wine or regular wine (this you must request, as it is no longer automatically delivered to your stateroom). There are a few nice extra touches in addition to Blu.  But it is subjective. Some love it, some don’t. We happen to love it.

Even if you do not want to dine in Blu, you still can do anytime dining in the MDR, on E Class this means any of the 4 different MDR's.

38 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Even if you do not want to dine in Blu, you still can do anytime dining in the MDR, on E Class this means any of the 4 different MDR's.

Anytime dining is not an option to Aqua Class (at least not on S line ships). 

4 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Anytime dining is not an option to Aqua Class (at least not on S line ships). 

Most certainly is, if you do not want to dine in Blu, you have the option of going to the MDR. I did it many times while in Aqua Class on both S and M class. At Least this was true pre Covid when we traveled with non AQ class friends and we often joined them in the MDR.  Now we all only book the Retreat Suites post Covid.

Edited by terrydtx

4 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

Are you saying that you would like to pay and get an AQ cabin on your '24 cruise for the advertised price of an AQ on a similar '23 cruise??

What I was wondering was if Celebrity drops the Aqua class price next year like they just did this year such that the Aqua class price is the same as what I just reserved a standard price AI balcony cabin for, would I be able to get the Aqua class cabin for that price without losing my deposit on my original booking therefore negating the savings. Does that make sense?

I believe you are in Canada.  If it is before final payment you should be able to change category at the prevailing rate without any penalty.   After final payment you would just have to call whomever you booked with to see if you could be upgraded.  Sometimes they allow, sometimes not.

7 hours ago, MandL said:

Also, Aqua isn’t just about dining in Blu.  You have a nicer shower head configuration, some extra amenities in your stateroom such a daily bottles of water, lip gloss, slippers, robes, exercise classes included at no cost if you so choose to go to the gym, a complimentary welcome bottle of sparking wine or regular wine (this you must request, as it is no longer automatically delivered to your stateroom).

i'm in AQ on the summit this August.

who do you request a complimentary bottle of red wine from?

Thanks for all the comments. I am in Canada but booked the cruise in $US. I just might get my first taste in Aqua class. Time will tell. Normally we prefer eating our evening dinners at the Ocean View Cafe and sitting outside at the back of the ship so don’t know if Blu is that big a deal to us. That being said late November around Morocco might be a little chilly in the evenings which makes Blu sound much more appealing. 

3 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

i'm in AQ on the summit this August.

who do you request a complimentary bottle of red wine from?

You can request it from Guest Services or your room attendant.