I just read on my roll call how AWFUL BOGO flights can be!

ontheweb

On 5/30/2023 at 10:52 AM, Happy fool said:

CalcDiva, how soon after docking is your flight?  I was told 3.5 hours was okay. That seems too short to me. 

OK...it is recommended that you be at airport 3 hrs prior to international flights, so 3.5 hrs for international flights isn't reasonable usually. 

I would say 3 hours min even in FLL where the airport is 10 min from the port.

Southampton is over an hour from Heathrow. 

Disembarking time is RARELY exactly the time people get off of a ship.

I would recommend flying after noon in Europe...and as with the original post example, that eliminates a lot of flights.

We were very lucky & got very good flights though it nixed our plan to do carry on only as we fly Air Italia to Rome (just don't think I can keep it under 17 lbs...21 was a struggle last month).

But DFW to JFK, 4 hr layover, over night to Rome. Then AA direct to DFW on the way home (2PM-6PM).

Glad the air gods were smiling on us, as we really wanted DD back that day as she is already missing the 1st day classes begin (she is the manager of a dance studio).

Edited by KKB

Interestingly, I've booked an Italy/Spain/France cruise for October.  And, am looking at NCL's flight offerings.  To me, their biggest issue is to get someone from NCL Air to work with.  Phone call hold times have ranged from 30 minutes to 90 minutes, and I just give up.  Still haven't spoken to anyone.

I have time to book it, but arranging any trip, especially on the other side of the Atlantic, does not lend itself well to last minute flight plans (and hotels, too).

Still, given I've got the time, I'm still going to give NCL air a shot.

10 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Interestingly, I've booked an Italy/Spain/France cruise for October.  And, am looking at NCL's flight offerings.  To me, their biggest issue is to get someone from NCL Air to work with.  Phone call hold times have ranged from 30 minutes to 90 minutes, and I just give up.  Still haven't spoken to anyone.

I have time to book it, but arranging any trip, especially on the other side of the Atlantic, does not lend itself well to last minute flight plans (and hotels, too).

Just what are you trying to accomplish by trying to work with someone from NCL Air?  Unless you mean premium air, which is completely different than BOGO, there is nothing to work out. They don't take suggestions.  Any NCL rep can take care of gateway and deviation requests.

30 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Just what are you trying to accomplish by trying to work with someone from NCL Air?  Unless you mean premium air, which is completely different than BOGO, there is nothing to work out. They don't take suggestions.  Any NCL rep can take care of gateway and deviation requests.

I’ve talked to them probably 5 times.  It’s all taken are of by the same person/dept, as they’ve told me as much when I inquire about flights and/or deviations.

21 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Are you traveling solo? The savings wouldn't have been worth it if it was just me. 

But for the 2 of us, it was less than half price compared to if I booked separate.

• Like 1

I have been SO worried about my BOGO flights after seeing all the complaints.  Well, I just got my flights on Saturday for my upcoming trip and they were the exact flights I would have picked if I had picked them myself.  Just adding a positive data point. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, KKB said:

Are you traveling solo? The savings wouldn't have been worth it if it was just me. 

But for the 2 of us, it was less than half price compared to if I booked separate.

That’s what I’m working through now.  I am flying cruising solo.

All I really want to do is to come in a day early for the obvious reasons.

I’ve talked to NCL Air dept.  I asked them to transfer me to their “deviation dept”.  The representative said they are one and the same.

They are sending me some sort of form for the deviation.

NCL’s flights are about ½ what I can book on my own.  But, that’s without any deviation.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, golden6911 said:

I have been SO worried about my BOGO flights after seeing all the complaints.  Well, I just got my flights on Saturday for my upcoming trip and they were the exact flights I would have picked if I had picked them myself.  Just adding a positive data point. 

From what I understand most complaints are about the fact that some don’t get the flights they wanted.  Or, there was some sort of problem with one of the legs of the flights.  Or, NLC won’t pay for a hotel for an overnight stay at an airport.

I believe once you understand that the reason you’re using NCL Air is to get cheap flights and that’s where it begins and ends, you’ll be fine.  If you want flexibility, more control over your flights, someone to pay for your hotel in there’s an overnight layover, best to book those on your own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

That’s what I’m working through now.  I am flying cruising solo.

All I really want to do is to come in a day early for the obvious reasons.

I’ve talked to NCL Air dept.  I asked them to transfer me to their “deviation dept”.  The representative said they are one and the same.

They are sending me some sort of form for the deviation.

NCL’s flights are about ½ what I can book on my own.  But, that’s without any deviation.

There is no such thing as a deviation form.- or a deviation department for that matter.  The air department is not who you need to deal with.  You work with a PCC, if you don't have one, the main NCL reps.  

Any rep can process your deviation request as long as you are 75 days out and you already have the BOGO promo.

Makes no difference if you are solo.  Cost of flights does not change with a deviation, although you do get a 25 credit.

24 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

^^^^^

Not going to argue with you.  Just relay what I’m going through and what the NCL Air Dept communicated to me.  I’ll take their word for it over yours.

Good luck with that.  Guess you missed all the negative posts about NCL customer service giving out incorrect information.  Again, the air department does NOT handle bookings - but you might get lucky.

Sorry to have bothered you by suggesting a simple and clear path.

Oh, and I just returned from post-covid cruise #11. 9 using NCL air. 3 with pre-cruise deviations.  All solo.  A few hiccups along the way, easily resolved by contacting the correct department(s). So I do have a bit of experience.

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

There is no such thing as a deviation form.- or a deviation department for that matter.  The air department is not who you need to deal with.  You work with a PCC, if you don't have one, the main NCL reps.  

Any rep can process your deviation request as long as you are 75 days out and you already have the BOGO promo.

Makes no difference if you are solo.  Cost of flights does not change with a deviation, although you do get a 25 credit.

I came here to say what you did. No deviation form. No deviation department. Just call main NCL number. But, I wouldn't know what I'm talking about. It's not like I've booked BOGO Air for myself and clients, including deviations. 

Just be sure you receive an updated confirmation listing your deviation. If you don't have it, then no BOGO for you...but what what do you get from BOGO Air if you're cruising solo? Are you paying 200% of the fare, thus getting 50% off the flight? 

• Like 1

Finished the Deviation Request for coming in a day before, upgrading flights.  Not hopeful there will be any "deals", but they're supposed to get back to me mid-week!

And, I also agree with @cruiseny4life.  Get any agreed upon Flight Deviations in writing.  It should show up on your reservation.

Not with NCL direct, but with some TAs I've been promised OBC, that never showed up on my reservation.  Attempting to get any sort of agreed upon changes or perks without having a written record will only frustrate you and Customer Service once on board.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

Just got our BOGO flights changed - one week prior to our departure!! We are on the June 15-24 Med cruise out of Lisbon. Flying out of Los Angeles on June 13 with a pre-cruise night. Only the return portion has been changed with a layover in Frankfort. My only question is what happens to the premium upgraded seats we reserved and paid for back in April? Will I get reimbursed for them? What will our seats for 3 passengers look like one week prior to flying out? Will we be sitting together?

19 minutes ago, UCLAman said:

Just got our BOGO flights changed - one week prior to our departure!! We are on the June 15-24 Med cruise out of Lisbon. Flying out of Los Angeles on June 13 with a pre-cruise night. Only the return portion has been changed with a layover in Frankfort. My only question is what happens to the premium upgraded seats we reserved and paid for back in April? Will I get reimbursed for them? What will our seats for 3 passengers look like one week prior to flying out? Will we be sitting together?

These are the numbers to call to find answers to the questions...

For customized air arrangements, call 1-866-625-1163

For hotel, transfer, Travel Protection, call 1-800-327-7030

From NCL if things go sideways with their air arrangements....

Let's face it, sometimes unforeseen things happen; bad weather, delayed flights and even cancellations. If your flight is changed or a weather-related delay leaves you stuck while you're traveling to one of our Freestyle Cruises®, don't panic. The first thing you should do is immediately advise an airline representative at the airport that you are a guest of Norwegian Cruise Line, and you are on your way to join our cruise ship. Usually, they can arrange alternative flights at the airline counter, so you can get to your ship or hotel package destination.

After you learn your new flight arrangements, please contact NCL's "Flight Assistance Hotline" at 1-800-456-7179, as soon as possible, with your new flight. The call is toll-free and our representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Please note: This special number is operational only in the United States and Canada. Outside of the U.S. and Canada you may reach us at 1-305-468-2029 and we accept collect calls.

Important: The above numbers are for emergency use only for unforeseen delays. If you have any other questions, please contact your travel professional. NCL is not responsible for any airline delays.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Let's face it, sometimes unforeseen things happen; bad weather, delayed flights and even cancellations. If your flight is changed or a weather-related delay leaves you stuck while you're traveling to one of our Freestyle Cruises®, don't panic. The first thing you should do is immediately advise an airline representative at the airport that you are a guest of Norwegian Cruise Line, and you are on your way to join our cruise ship. Usually, they can arrange alternative flights at the airline counter, so you can get to your ship or hotel package destination.

After you learn your new flight arrangements, please contact NCL's "Flight Assistance Hotline" at 1-800-456-7179, as soon as possible, with your new flight. The call is toll-free and our representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Please note: This special number is operational only in the United States and Canada. Outside of the U.S. and Canada you may reach us at 1-305-468-2029 and we accept collect calls.

Important: The above numbers are for emergency use only for unforeseen delays. If you have any other questions, please contact your travel professional. NCL is not responsible for any airline delays.

Thank you. My TA is working on it. I already let him know I am not happy (primarily about the seats situation).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UCLAman said:

Thank you. My TA is working on it. I already let him know I am not happy (primarily about the seats situation).

My TA left her agency and I can't find where (if anywhere) she went.  Trying to nail down a new TA.  But, as of right now, even though my cruise is booked, I'm doing some of the arrangements with flights myself.  I explained that my TA had left the business, so NCL Flight Dept has been willing to assist me.

Hope you get the air questions sorted out.

• Like 1

One major factor is your point of origin. If you live in a big city hub, you’re more likely to get good flights. If you live somewhere else, you may end up with 1-3 connections.  The reason you have to overnight on the way home is likely due to there not being a flight that would work for you to connect to that night. Unfortunately, that’s common. I do think NCL should pay for your hotel enroute home, though. Good luck, and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Finished the Deviation Request for coming in a day before, upgrading flights.  Not hopeful there will be any "deals", but they're supposed to get back to me mid-week!

I think you are confusing the Premium Air department with BOGO.  They are not the same thing.  You don't get upgrades, deals, etc. with BOGO.  If that is the case then yes, you are dealing with the correct department, but commenting in a discussion on BOGO, not premium air.  Good luck.

1 minute ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

One major factor is your point of origin. If you live in a big city hub, you’re more likely to get good flights. If you live somewhere else, you may end up with 1-3 connections.  The reason you have to overnight on the way home is likely due to there not being a flight that would work for you to connect to that night. Unfortunately, that’s common. I do think NCL should pay for your hotel enroute home, though. Good luck, and enjoy your cruise!

Great point! If you have many choices nearby, you might do better on your own. From what I've seen, the people who save the most doing BOGO are those who live far from major airports and those having to travel a long distance (Like Europeans, Brits, AUS/NZ, etc flying to the US).

1 minute ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

One major factor is your point of origin. If you live in a big city hub, you’re more likely to get good flights. If you live somewhere else, you may end up with 1-3 connections.

Just the opposite experience for me, at least for international.  Of course if you don't live near a hub you will never fly direct, even if you try to book your own flights.

Their standard is 2 legs for domestic, 3 legs for international.  Since leg 1 for me is always to a hub, their choices are limited. So I will often get the direct overseas flight while others have various stopovers along the way.

Opposite for me as well. Living ~20 mins from JFK (on a good day) we have access to tons of airlines with each of them making multiple stops here all hours of the day. Even pricing things on our own, the BOGO is always significantly cheaper and so far we've gotten excellent flights. 

Our last trip in Feb/Mar we flew first thing in the morning to LAX direct, and was on an 11:30am flight home from Miami. Almost missed the flight due to their shoddy transfers program, but that's another discussion for another day. 

First time using them for international air is coming up in September, so we'll know in about 2 months how those flights look. But took a 1 day deviation on both legs just to be safe for that one. Too many moving parts with international to risk it. But that is truly BOGO - price on our own for decent flights is $1100/pp, NCL is charging us $900 for both of us. I see a bottle of chateau rothchild in our future with those savings...

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 12:06 PM, graphicguy said:

THANK YOU @graphicguy !!! I owe you at least one or 2 cold beverages on the cruise!!! 

Update on my situation: called my TA today and no dice - he called Norwegian Air, he called Luthansa air this morning and he couldn’t get any info or progress. Then I called Luthansa directly and boom!! In less than 5 minutes I had premium uograded seats!! 😁 I had a pay a little extra but thats fine with me. So problem resolved !! Thank you again @graphicguy !! 

• Like 1