Swimming with Dolphins Cozumel

Turk1

Wife, Daughter and 2 Grand Daughters (18 and 11) taking a girls cruise (5 night) and the grand daughters would like to "swim with dolphins" in Cozumel. Any recomendations? Wife would just like to go an observe and not swim with the other ladies. Possible?

Thanks

Thanks! It appears that most of the places do not allow pictures and want you to purchase pictures from them. Is there a reduced cost for "observers" at Chaanknaab? Are those purchase ahead of time or once on the ship?

Chankanaab Dolphin Discovery, or Dolphinaris near town. 

I have no experience with Dolphinaris but I think you may see more as observer. I know from experience wont see anything at Chankanaab you are too far away.

More answers on Ports of call forums.

Dolphinaris would be my choice.  You may not be able to observe but you can get in as an observer rate.  It may have changed but if I remember correctly, you can see the pool they swim in from above.

Edited by cruiselvr04

23 minutes ago, Turk1 said:

Thanks! It appears that most of the places do not allow pictures and want you to purchase pictures from them. Is there a reduced cost for "observers" at Chaanknaab? Are those purchase ahead of time or once on the ship?

Chaankanaab is a national park, There is an entrance fee to get in the park. That can not be avoided. I have not been in a few years but back then we were able to observe the Dolphins at no cost. https://cozumelparks.com/en/chankanaab/

The park has several attractions. We liked to snorkel there. it is a good place to spend a day in Cozumel .You can take a taxi there on your. Much cheaper than booking with the cruise line.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

Assuming you go with the Chank. option, know that there is a Swim with Manatees option too.  

Like I told DH, you can swim with Dolphins many places, but where can you swim with Manatees?   The stinker said he has done it, but I'll stick with my point. 

Another thing to look into.    I haven't been yet, but I'm really excited about our reserved Cabana.  The prices seem to be very reasonable.  https://thecabanabeach.com/    The prices include Chank. admission.  

10 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Assuming you go with the Chank. option, know that there is a Swim with Manatees option too.  

Like I told DH, you can swim with Dolphins many places, but where can you swim with Manatees?   The stinker said he has done it, but I'll stick with my point. 

Another thing to look into.    I haven't been yet, but I'm really excited about our reserved Cabana.  The prices seem to be very reasonable.  https://thecabanabeach.com/    The prices include Chank. admission.  

If you are planning on booking dolphins independently at Chankanaab I believe you have to make up a lodging if you aren’t booking through the ship. You need to be careful of port hours because the appropriate time-slots tend to get filled by ship excursions. Keep in mind you will also be paying entrance fee to Chankanaab twice unless you can negotiate a discount maybe through Cabana Beach, because both entities sub-contract. 

For some reason Sea-Trek helmet dive and  snuba operate differently.

I had a family member do dolphins and manatees a number of years ago. I was an observer and it was too far for me to see clearly.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Turk1 said:

If they want to be observers, do they pay the full price or is it discounted? Can the observer be done aheaed of time or do they need to wait until on the ship?

Chankanaab is a national park. There is an entrance fee. The dolphin encounter is inside the park. The encounter includes the day pass. Those not doing the Dolphin Encounter will have to pay for a day pass or some other package that includes the day pass to enter and observe. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Turk1 said:

If they want to be observers, do they pay the full price or is it discounted? Can the observer be done aheaed of time or do they need to wait until on the ship?

You might want to look at photos of it.   There are two docks and then between there is an area for the Manatees and another for the dolphins.   What they might request is to be able to wait on the dock rather than on the beach.  

Edited by HappyTexan44

37 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

You might want to look at photos of it.   There are two docks and then between there is an area for the Manatees and another for the dolphins.   What they might request is to be able to wait on the dock rather than on the beach.  

1 hour ago, Turk1 said:

37 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Chankanaab has two docks but several pens as I recall, it will depend which pen they are in how far away they are. Only participants are allowed on the docks, I had to remain on the shoreside, near the main restaurant and pool if I recall correctly. As suggested look at some photos to understand.

I think Dolphinaris would probably be better for an observer as PP said but of course you don’t have the opportunity for the rest of the activities that are included in the day pass entrance fee to Chankanaab.

https://lolalambchops.com/dolphin-swim-at-dolphinaris-cozumel-review/

Both Chankanaab and Dolphinaris have websites although the Dolphinaris doesn’t seem to be very informative presently, without some extra searching. It only seems to mention Carnival so it may depend on which cruise line you are with whether it is offered although you could always book independently. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone gone to the Dolphin Discovery location in Puerto Aventuras? They have a Royal Swim Plus program that includes in water interactions with dolphins, manatees and sea lions but it says its an hour from Cozumel and a bit of a hassle to get to. We're in port from 9am-7pm so I think we'd have time, just not sure if it's worth the hassle.

52 minutes ago, novarph said:

Has anyone gone to the Dolphin Discovery location in Puerto Aventuras? They have a Royal Swim Plus program that includes in water interactions with dolphins, manatees and sea lions but it says its an hour from Cozumel and a bit of a hassle to get to. We're in port from 9am-7pm so I think we'd have time, just not sure if it's worth the hassle.

That is on the mainland so you would have to take the vomit ferry to Playa Del Carmen from the ferry terminal downtown Cozumel, probably a taxi ride to the ferry terminal then a 30 minutes ferry ride, then a 20 minute or so taxi ride. I doubt it is worth the hassle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, novarph said:

Answered on other thread.

• Like 1

So to cut too the chase. Where's the best place for me to swim all day with dolphin's? How do I get there and what's it going to cost me to spend my day on Cozumel swimming with dolphins? Thank you for your help. Todd

8 minutes ago, TTEllis said:

So to cut too the chase. Where's the best place for me to swim all day with dolphin's? How do I get there and what's it going to cost me to spend my day on Cozumel swimming with dolphins? Thank you for your help. Todd

I don't think you can spend all day anywhere with the Dolphins. I would say Chnakanaab since you can spends all day at the park before or after doing the dolphins. You cn take a taxi there. Look up the cost on their website. I don't know the current taxi rates but they have been reasonable. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

I don't think you can spend all day anywhere with the Dolphins. I would say Chnakanaab since you can spends all day at the park before or after doing the dolphins. You cn take a taxi there. Look up the cost on their website. I don't know the current taxi rates but they have been reasonable. 

Thank you appreciate ya!!

4 hours ago, TTEllis said:

Chankanaab or Dolphinaris.

Both have websites with prices which usually have promotions. Both have other things you can do at the location.

Chankanaab is in a national park so requires an included entrance fee that includes some extra items, others cost extra. It has a beach, rocky snorkeling, pool.

Dolphinaris has other optional pay extras. It is within walking distance of town if that is of interest for bars, shopping, restaurants. Both places provide very time limited actual swimming with dolphins.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Chankanaab or Dolphinaris.

Both have websites with prices which usually have promotions. Both have other things you can do at the location.

Chankanaab is in a national park so requires an included entrance fee that includes some extra items, others cost extra. It has a beach, rocky snorkeling, pool.

Dolphinaris has other optional pay extras. It is within walking distance of town if that is of interest for bars, shopping, restaurants. Both places provide very time limited actual swimming with dolphins.

Thank you very much.

I've swam with stingrays and sharks. It would be a real treat to be a around spend my day with and swim with dolphins. I didn't know we were given that opportunity in Cozumel or I would have done this a long time ago.

If it's not an all day thing, then I could catch a taxi over to Nachi and spend the rest of the afternoon. 

Thanks

I ended up calling dolphin discovery and they were able to book me the royal swim vip in Cozumel with free 15 minute Manatee encounter, includes buffet, open bar, sea lion show, snorkeling, lockers, etc. for $103 per adult

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TTEllis said:

Thank you very much.

I've swam with stingrays and sharks. It would be a real treat to be a around spend my day with and swim with dolphins. I didn't know we were given that opportunity in Cozumel or I would have done this a long time ago.

If it's not an all day thing, then I could catch a taxi over to Nachi and spend the rest of the afternoon. 

Thanks

If you do Chankanaab I wouldn’t bother going or paying AI for Nachi but that’s just me personally. There is plenty to do for the day at Chankanaab that will take up a cruise ship day.

If you are looking for something s little more exclusive, maybe check out Cabana Beach at Chankanaab to save you from having to get another taxi. Cabana Beach has its own website and cabanas are reserved although they keep increasing the price again. 

3 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

If you do Chankanaab I wouldn’t bother going or paying AI for Nachi but that’s just me personally. There is plenty to do for the day at Chankanaab that will take up a cruise ship day.

If you are looking for something s little more exclusive, maybe check out Cabana Beach at Chankanaab to save you from having to get another taxi. Cabana Beach has its own website and cabanas are reserved although they keep increasing the price again. 

Thank you so much!!

That's a winner. 

I really didn't want to do Nachi unless I just had the extra time. 

Cabana Beach 🏖️ sounds great . Chankanaab or Cabana Beach would I find a reasonable place to find a drink and something to eat?

Thank you for your help.

I used to go to Cozumel back in the mid-90's it didn't do much for me.

Been a few times in the last several years that place has completely changed its nothing but fun. Great beaches great AI resort day passes which are all what I consider very reasonably priced. 

$100(US) per person or less you can spend an entire day eating and drinking on a wonderful beach. That includes transportation to and from the ship and a nice tip. 

Thank you. 

15 hours ago, TTEllis said:

Thank you so much!!

That's a winner. 

I really didn't want to do Nachi unless I just had the extra time. 

Cabana Beach 🏖️ sounds great . Chankanaab or Cabana Beach would I find a reasonable place to find a drink and something to eat?

Thank you for your help.

I used to go to Cozumel back in the mid-90's it didn't do much for me.

Been a few times in the last several years that place has completely changed its nothing but fun. Great beaches great AI resort day passes which are all what I consider very reasonably priced. 

$100(US) per person or less you can spend an entire day eating and drinking on a wonderful beach. That includes transportation to and from the ship and a nice tip. 

Thank you. 

Cabana Beach is a private area of Chankanaab. They have their own separate back entrance but recent reports say you have to enter at main entrance and walk the whole length of Chankanaab to their section.You reserve a particular cabana on their website. It is not AI.

https://thecabanabeach.com

The inclusions are always changing but seems to currently include fruit plate and guacamole. There is a menu for Cabana Beach on the website or you can purchase from a vendor within the park between the dolphins and Cabana Beach. I don’t know if they allow you to take that into their area. It will not be a sandy beach like Nachi, rather a man-made sandy area with direct access to snorkeling.

If you search this forum you will find recent reviews. I haven’t actually been to this section. It only opened a year or two before Covid and prices then were very expensive. I am sorry I missed my chance to sample it when we stayed on the island during Covid as  I discovered their special promotional Covid rate too late!

You pay a discounted entrance to Chankanaab with their rate. I don’t know if you can negotiate a Dolphin rate through them, otherwise you will be paying an entrance fee to Chankanaab twice?

We have just picked a palapa in front of the sea wall when we have gone and ordered from the roving waiters.

Edited by c-leg5