Small group /private tour Civi/Rome

jmdlv1

We are  a group six looking to book a tour from the port to Rome and return to ship.

A couple of us have been there and we have some ideas where we want to go.

Nobody want to take the train and we would like to have the same person pick us up and drive us to the attractions in Rome and back.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

we have used RomeDrivingTours.   Excellent.  Ahead of time, they contacted us and made suggestions and asked any preferences.  In our case, we just ended our cruise so driver dropped our bags off at the hotel. During the tour, gave us tips on ie which line to get into, buy tickets online ahead,  and approximately how long a visit to each spot takes.  We saw more than what people that had booked the bus tour thru X.     I would definitely book them again.    Was a fabulous fantastic day

10 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Now that you have been moved to the best place, look around the board. Look for the huge thread on Rome in Limo. They are excellent.

We are 14 days away and Rome in Limo has cancelled our tour with no explanation other than to say they have no availability. We have had a reservation for 8 months. Today I'm out here on the boards seeking an alternative. I would say beware of their service.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jmdlv1 said:

We are a group six looking to book a tour from the port to Rome and return to ship...we would like to have the same person pick us up and drive us to the attractions in Rome and back.

It's not clear to me if you are looking for two transfers or if you want a car service while you are in Rome.  

Presumably two transfers would be less expensive than a full day tour, so if that's what you want I would look for that.  With six people you can probably have a shared transfer to yourselves.

Edited by euro cruiser

3 hours ago, Drink-in-Hand/Toes-in-Sand said:

We are 14 days away and Rome in Limo has cancelled our tour with no explanation other than to say they have no availability. We have had a reservation for 8 months. Today I'm out here on the boards seeking an alternative. I would say beware of their service.

Sorry to hear that. Have used them 8 times. Excellent service for us.

To be fair, many agencies are finding themselves short of drivers and guides last year and this year (i.e., post-pandemic) as many had to find other employment during the shutdown, which greatly impacted the tourism industry.

On my recent Japan cruise, it was very difficult to arrange private tours due to the lack of English-speaking guides. Some even had private tours canceled at short notice (a few days before port) and were scrambling to find alternatives. Our ship also had difficulties and there were fewer shore excursions offered than usual...

With that said, I've never been convinced RIL is worth the premium they charge for their tours/transfers. You'd think they would find it less difficult than some other agencies to attract drivers/guides -- so I am somewhat surprised to hear of this cancellation.

On 6/2/2023 at 11:44 AM, cruisemom42 said:

To be fair, many agencies are finding themselves short of drivers and guides last year and this year (i.e., post-pandemic) as many had to find other employment during the shutdown, which greatly impacted the tourism industry.

That is a fair point, @cruisemom42  I am a past customer of Rome in Limo, and also Stefano at Rome Cabs - both excellent services. RIL is trying to work with us and making recommendations to other companies (who are also booked). I just wish they had given more notice than 2 weeks - especially after holding our reservation the previous 8 months. Best of luck to all of you, and enjoy la dolce vita in Italy!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drink-in-Hand/Toes-in-Sand said:

That is a fair point, @cruisemom42  I am a past customer of Rome in Limo, and also Stefano at Rome Cabs - both excellent services. RIL is trying to work with us and making recommendations to other companies (who are also booked). I just wish they had given more notice than 2 weeks - especially after holding our reservation the previous 8 months. Best of luck to all of you, and enjoy la dolce vita in Italy!  

I understand your initial reservation was booked far in advance. Even pre-Covid, trying to book in June for this summer was not easy.

• Like 1

We used Sorrento Limo last week for a driver out of Naples to the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii.  Our driver was excellent, Michel, he did mention they are a small company.  Their prices were extremely reasonable too! 

Another vote for Rome Cabs/Stefano Rome Tours. We have used them several times for various transfers and excursions.  Each time has been great (note: these were all pre-Covid).  They are very prompt, professional and courteous.  We will be using them again next year for airport transportation to Civitivecchia.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...