Influenza Type A on Enchanted Princess

LPG27

7 hours ago, LPG27 said:

Hank I saw the test result myself and it was clearly positive for Influenza type A.    That was on May 12.

Mentioned this to our family physician (last week) which got an interesting response.  "Not much anyone can do."  Of course he was referring to folks from the USA.  The flu shots we got last year will have already lost most/all of their effectiveness and the 2023 vaccine is not even available, yet, in the USA.  At the moment I think there is more concern about RSV than the flu or COVID.

Hank

56 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

People love to worry over what they don't understand. Your physician is correct.

Yeah, we've just been through three years of that.  And people like me who asked what the science was behind some of the mandates were marginalized.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Yeah, we've just been through three years of that.  And people like me who asked what the science was behind some of the mandates were marginalized.  

Absolutely agree. Nevertheless, that’s clearly subversive thinking around these parts.  

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

Absolutely agree. Nevertheless, that’s clearly subversive thinking around these parts.  

You got that right.  But then as a child of the sixties, and with an old school education where we were taught to think, I tend to question authorities, "experts", and science.  

I'm the guy who prefers natural or homeopathic  remedies over prescription medications pushed by big pharma and physicians.  But I'm also the guy who will take every vaccine recommended for travel and other exposures after reading up on the possible side effects of each to weigh those against the protection afforded.

Edited by SargassoPirate
  • Like 2

I really hope they get all of this sickness under control soon! We are boarding in July, and normally it’s a good time

of year for travel in terms of sickness. I do remember, though, on one of our Med cruises pre-pandemic, a big group of Australians had upper respiratory infections going on, and we’d dodge coughs on the tour buses and in the buffet. I wonder if since it’s winter in Australia, that’s how the flu is onboard in the Med right now.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I really hope they get all of this sickness under control soon! We are boarding in July, and normally it’s a good time

of year for travel in terms of sickness. I do remember, though, on one of our Med cruises pre-pandemic, a big group of Australians had upper respiratory infections going on, and we’d dodge coughs on the tour buses and in the buffet. I wonder if since it’s winter in Australia, that’s how the flu is onboard in the Med right now.

Keep hoping because "all of this sickness" will never be under control as long as people don't get vaccinated for the seasonal flu and covid AND don't practice good personal hygiene.

Just treat it as if the whole world and everybody in it is contaminated and take measures to protect yourself.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Agreed, we are also on in July for 2 weeks. We always pack for illness as we travel a fair bit and have two older teens and a tween one of which picks things up easily. But based on this thread I have picked up some electrolyte sachets, cough medicine and despite some mixed reviews Tamiflu. Always take the stronger hand sanitiser on cruises anyway. 

Jonathan

On 6/5/2023 at 12:31 PM, SargassoPirate said:

Keep hoping because "all of this sickness" will never be under control as long as people don't get vaccinated for the seasonal flu and covid AND don't practice good personal hygiene.

Just treat it as if the whole world and everybody in it is contaminated and take measures to protect yourself.

I 100% do what you said in the second paragraph, but you can do everything right and still fall prey to illness. I never understood it before Covid either, but it’s now extra shocking to me that after all the world went through during Covid, people have just slipped right back into not washing their hands and coughing open mouthed and going around public while sick, etc. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, jonbrealey said:

Agreed, we are also on in July for 2 weeks. We always pack for illness as we travel a fair bit and have two older teens and a tween one of which picks things up easily. But based on this thread I have picked up some electrolyte sachets, cough medicine and despite some mixed reviews Tamiflu. Always take the stronger hand sanitiser on cruises anyway. 

Jonathan

Oh yes, gotta bring your own medicine cabinet. Airborne is my best friend while traveling. I bring hand sanitizer as well as Wet Ones. The only good thing to come out of Covid for me is that I can pop on a mask if someone by me starts coughing without looking completely crazy. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 7:54 PM, jonbrealey said:

Jonathan

Hi Jonathon,

I see you are from the UK, what is the stronger hand sanitiser that you buy?

On 6/7/2023 at 6:38 PM, cruisequeen4ever said:

I 100% do what you said in the second paragraph, but you can do everything right and still fall prey to illness. I never understood it before Covid either, but it’s now extra shocking to me that after all the world went through during Covid, people have just slipped right back into not washing their hands and coughing open mouthed and going around public while sick, etc. 

Exactly it’s absolutely crazy that after all we’ve been through people still refuse to do the very basic things to stop the spread of germs like raise their elbow or hand to their mouth for a split second when coughing or washing hands particularly after coughing and sneezing.

We all had to stay at home locked up, businesses collapsed, people sat alone at funerals, we couldn’t visit people in hospital, we couldn’t see friends and family. Surely raising ones elbow to their face when one coughs is not as difficult as all that! 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Hi Jonathon,

I see you are from the UK, what is the stronger hand sanitiser that you buy?

Hi Nicole and Pete,

I got this one from Amazon:

"INEOS - Sanitiser Pocket Gel (50 ml) - Hand Sanitiser - Hospital Grade, Effective against 99.9% of Viruses and Bacteria"

Sorry it won't let me paste the link but that's the listing name 🙂

Jonathan

Just now, jonbrealey said:

Hi Nicole and Pete,

I got this one from Amazon:

"INEOS - Sanitiser Pocket Gel (50 ml) - Hand Sanitiser - Hospital Grade, Effective against 99.9% of Viruses and Bacteria"

Sorry it won't let me paste the link but that's the listing name 🙂

Jonathan

Great thank you so much

🙂

I was on Enchanted 5/27-6/10/23, Barcelona to Athens. Day 5 (Genoa, Italy) I started with a head cold coughing, sneezing, etc. @ day I felt  a little worse. Husband went to medical center told them of symptoms gave some DM cough syrup. Fast forward to day 11 went to medical center was diagnosed w/ pneumonia in right lung. Spent 30 hours in medical center getting medication intravenously and put on oxygen. Oxygen level was in high eighties. DR said if I didn’t improve overnight I would be ambulanced off ship to hospital in Istanbul, Turkey. Luckily I improved. Was confined to my stateroom on oxygen remainder of cruise. Finally got my oxygen up to 95 so was able to fly home. The medical staff was fantastic did everything in their power to get me better. I give the staff high praise.

on day six the captain announced something was going around ship and suggested masking up. I feel the crew knew a virus was going around and should have commented sooner.

the DR’s said the influenza is going around Europe and Asia.

take all precautions! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hoosiercruisemate said:

I was on Enchanted 5/27-6/10/23, Barcelona to Athens. Day 5 (Genoa, Italy) I started with a head cold coughing, sneezing, etc. @ day I felt  a little worse. Husband went to medical center told them of symptoms gave some DM cough syrup. Fast forward to day 11 went to medical center was diagnosed w/ pneumonia in right lung. Spent 30 hours in medical center getting medication intravenously and put on oxygen. Oxygen level was in high eighties. DR said if I didn’t improve overnight I would be ambulanced off ship to hospital in Istanbul, Turkey. Luckily I improved. Was confined to my stateroom on oxygen remainder of cruise. Finally got my oxygen up to 95 so was able to fly home. The medical staff was fantastic did everything in their power to get me better. I give the staff high praise.

on day six the captain announced something was going around ship and suggested masking up. I feel the crew knew a virus was going around and should have commented sooner.

the DR’s said the influenza is going around Europe and Asia.

take all precautions! 

I am so sorry to hear that you went thru this.  I tried to warn people without being an alarmist.   You are so right that something should  have been announced sooner.  When I was in ship medical center on MAY 12 diagnosed with iNFLUENZA A, doctor said that something was going around the ship and also said flu is all over Europe.   I am glad you were able to get home without having to go to hospital in Turkey.   What a terrible way to spend a vacation.  For us it was a once in a lifetime trip.  Hope you are doing well now.   My husband is still feeling fatigue and coughing.   

I found hygiene measures on Enchanted, April, very lax.  Quite often in buffet there was no hand sanitiser on arrival. I am hesitant to use the wash basins as they are on a tile floor and the floor is usually wet and slippery.  Quite often in lady’s toilets there was no hand wash or the tap was inoperable.

All solved of course by carrying your own sanitizer, but I’m not sure everyone does this.

4 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

My SIL and nephew are returning home today from Enchanted and both have caught whatever respiratory virus  is going around. 

There's always something going around on all cruises. 

• Like 5