How old do kids have to be for a drink package?

I am not trying to get free drinks LOL.  I don't want to pay if I don't HAVE to.  Does a 3 year need to get a refreshment package?  I will get them for my older kids because they feel fancy with their frozen drinks. I have emailed RC and was told anyone over 21 has to get the deluxe package if in the same cabin.  I know I can call.  that is not my question.  I specifically asked for a 3 and a 5 year old.  If they are not able to get drinks unless I pay for them, I will pay for them.  They will not drink as much as the older kids. So I don't want to pay for a package if I don't have to. The bigger kids, they will want to try everything.

What is the MINIMUM age to HAVE to purchase a drink package.

There is no minimum age. If you want your 3 year old to drink soda, fresh juices, milkshakes, etc then you need to pay (by the drink or with a package). Little ones typically drink water, juice and milk. I've included the list of beverages included in cruise fare below. Any other beverages require you to pay as you go or get a package.

• tap water
  • milk
  • tea
  • coffee (regular and decaf)
  • lemonade
  • iced tea
  • flavored waters
  • juices (at breakfast and not fresh squeezed)
  • Hot chocolate (via instant packets)
Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 1

For the Deluxe Beverage package all Royal Caribbean passengers 21 years of age and older (18 years in Australia and the U.K) are  required to purchase the Deluxe Beverage Package if at least one other person in their cabin has one.

If your kids are under 18 or 21 (depending on location), buy whatever you want for whichever kids you want.  And even for adults the restrictions (and waivers) only matter if someone is buying the deluxe package.  One adult could buy the refreshment package and the others could decline, for example.

Edited by Starry Eyes

16 minutes ago, Annicruise2014 said:

I am not trying to get free drinks LOL.  I don't want to pay if I don't HAVE to.  Does a 3 year need to get a refreshment package?  I will get them for my older kids because they feel fancy with their frozen drinks. I have emailed RC and was told anyone over 21 has to get the deluxe package if in the same cabin.  I know I can call.  that is not my question.  I specifically asked for a 3 and a 5 year old.  If they are not able to get drinks unless I pay for them, I will pay for them.  They will not drink as much as the older kids. So I don't want to pay for a package if I don't have to. The bigger kids, they will want to try everything.

What is the MINIMUM age to HAVE to purchase a drink package.

There is no minimum age for a drink package and you do not have to buy it for all your kids.  I wouldn't get one for a 3 or 5 year old.  I would buy a frozen drink and split it between the two little ones.  The frozen non alcoholic drinks are around $7 so I would consider if it even makes sense to buy for the older kids.  It depends on their ages, if we are talking teens, I would because they will be out and about.  I always told my son to just abandon his drink if he had left it unattended while playing basketball or something and get a new one, just to be safe.  Having the refreshment package made sense for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

... It depends on their ages, if we are talking teens, I would because they will be out and about.  I always told my son to just abandon his drink if he had left it unattended while playing basketball or something and get a new one, just to be safe.  Having the refreshment package made sense for him.

I did the same thing for my girls when they were teens ... not because I thought the drink package was a need or a bargain, but because I wanted them to have control of their own drinks /not to feel badly about walking away from a drink they'd barely tasted.  

• Like 1

As others have said there are plenty of free drink for that age. Bring a big travel cup put a few lemonade or which ever drink they have out in the Windjammer in it. Then you have your container if juice to pour into sippy cups for a bit. Go refill it as needed. No charge for those drinks.

2 hours ago, Annicruise2014 said:

Thank you.  I will gladly pay for a drink here and there but didn’t want to HAVE to buy a package for the little ones if I got the older ones packages. 

Only the premium drink package with booze is the one that "requires" all adults in the cabin to get it.  Other non-alcoholic packages do not have that same requirement.

In December we have an extended family cruise with almost everyone getting something different.  We'll have 1 DBP, 2 RP, 1 SP,  DW will use her diamond vouchers and 1 who will just want a couple Latte's a day so I'll buy that for her with my Diamond vouchers.  And finally, one who wants nothing.  The only requirement is when someone want the DBP.  Then all other adults in the room need to get it or the RP in lieu of the DBP.

There's no requirement for anything for any kid.