question for CPAP users

7 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Have you ever used those things you can plug into the 220v power port and they convert them to 110v outlets.  I meant to get those for the last cruise and forgot to get one.  That would of helped with another outlet for a Cpap.  Do you remember what they are called?

There are two different issues here.  One is just an "adaptor".  Here's one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/International-Universal-Worldwide-Electrical-Countries/dp/B075VQ9TTS/ref=asc_df_B075VQ9TTS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242168461154&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11244708670102082015&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9014308&hvtargid=pla-424965950141&psc=1.  

ALL it does is convert the various plug configuration so US cords can plug into them.  It does NOT change from 220V to 110V.  So you should make sure whatever device you're plugging into it will work with 220V.

You can also get a CONVERTER which will "step down" from the 220V and provide 110V. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073J9QWKY?tag=tripsavvy-onsite-prod-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&ascsubtag=4797126|nb0469f0f8a8a45a5a529aff454dc598216|

Note:  I'm not recommending either of these products (not saying you shouldn't get them), just a sample of what's out there. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, luv2cruise668 said:

I would be curious to see someone’s Cpap setup on Radiance.  Even better is if it is a dual set up.  I am hoping not to be tripping over cords. 

I don't have pictures, but based on my trip last year on Mariner, here's my suggestion (outlet was across the room from the bed)...

1) Reach out to special_needs@rccl.com with your cruise date and cabin number and request an extension cord for your cpap

2) Invest in some magnetic hooks https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Maximum-Neodymium-Corrosion-Protection/dp/B0787Q54M1/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=magnetic+hooks&qid=1685984638&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQ0w1NkNWTFRLMzNLJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzYxMzc1MkhEN0lQMjdSTENOJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4MzAzNzcyMTFCQVE2QzI3VlNGJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

3) Invest in a three way outlet adapter (https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Adapter-Splitter-Multiple/dp/B098CC6W68/ref=sr_1_24?crid=1D7R57UQ8BEX4&keywords=three+prong+outlet&qid=1685984679&sprefix=three+prong+outlet%2Caps%2C115&sr=8-24... but you just need one).

4) Once on the ship, put the hooks on the ceiling on a path between the outlet and the bed.  

5) Plug the extension cord in at the outlet, hang them on the hooks, until you get to the bed.

6) Plug a three way outlet adaptor into the end of the extension cord near the bed.  

7) Plug each CPAP into a socket on the adapter.

No tripping over cords and both CPAPs are plugged in. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Have you ever used those things you can plug into the 220v power port and they convert them to 110v outlets.  I meant to get those for the last cruise and forgot to get one.  That would of helped with another outlet for a Cpap.  Do you remember what they are called?

We have a convertor we bought that has the European plug and converts it to 110. Is that what you mean?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I have an international travel adapter that includes 4 USB ports and plugs into a number of different international power outlets.  It does pass through the 220v power to a regular looking 110v outlet BUT you must make sure that whatever you plug into that outlet can operate at 220v.  

This particular travel charger does not convert the 220v down to 110v.

Most of my electronics are capable of operating at 220v.  The ship hair dryer cannot operate at 220v so it can't be plugged into the travel adapter.

This isn't the exact one I use but is very similar:

https://www.amazon.com/EPICKA-Universal-Travel-Adapter-Power/dp/B078S3M2NX/ref=sr_1_5?crid=35PB52UCAF7LS&keywords=international+travel+adapter&qid=1685986838&sprefix=international+travel+%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-5

image.thumb.jpeg.755c76ba225aa589fcf59c6b4de099fc.jpeg

I also use it in hotels when traveling abroad.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We have a convertor we bought that has the European plug and converts it to 110. Is that what you mean?

Yes.  I was basically wanting to take advantage of one more outlet.  After seeing @twangster post and looking at options on Amazon, I may just need to check out what I can plug into a pass though and use the 110v for things like a CPAP. 

29 minutes ago, moposh said:

How do I do an ignore list?

Go to the top of the page.   Click the 3 lines that are to the right of Cruise Critic Community.   Click account.  Look at the end of the list and  click on ignored users.  Type in the name of who you want to ignore.

Edited by Ozark_Kid
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, HicksRA said:

It can be an issue. That’s why I have two of the cords Twangster posted. 

image.png

I LOVE the idea about the power cords, thanks for the info. My husband uses an Air Sense 11 and I use an Air Sense 10.  These longer power cords just make sense.  I have always contacted the Special Needs Department to request distilled water and extension cords for our CPAP's, but they say they will provide cords "if" they have any available.  I just looked at each of our machines and the current power cords each say 125V and 7 amps.  I don't know if it makes a difference, but these 15' cords say they are 125V and 7 amps.  Other lengths and brands have different amps.  I want to order exactly what my machine says.  I'm electronically challenged and I don't know if it would make a difference, but want to be safe.  Happy cruising!!

• Like 1

I do not know about battery packs. From Amazon I bought a 10-foot extension cord with three US outlets and three USB outlets that was cruise ship certified. Used it on Rotterdam in 12/21. No problem. I hope to use it on Anthem of the Seas in October 2023. I do use a CPAP machine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luv2cruise668 said:

I would be curious to see someone’s Cpap setup on Radiance.  Even better is if it is a dual set up.  I am hoping not to be tripping over cords. 

We were on Jewel, Serenade and Brilliance this year so far and each time my DH ran the CPAP cord under the bed and we attached it to the ext cord that our room steward brought that we plugged in, and the cord was on the rug for just about 6-8 inches between the corner of the bed and by the TV on the desk. During the day we unplugged it on 2 of the ships. On one, the room steward taped the cord to the rug so we wouldn’t trip on it.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 8:35 PM, twangster said:

If you took a second to think i did answer your question.  But whatever, BLOCKED!!!!!

Funny, I'm going to answer the question, but anyone with a CPAP knows they need a longer cord, and they aren't asking about it, were they.....so it was not actually helpful to know you can buy a core, since we all know we can.  

On 6/3/2023 at 5:09 PM, craig01020 said:

As a CPAP user, I've grown tired of playing the "find the outlet" game and running extension cords all around my stateroom. Thinking of buying a CPAP battery and using that as my main power source. No cords needed.

Just wondering if anyone here has tried that.

Thanks.

So, my wife has your standard CPAP that the insurance pays for.  But like you, we got tired of lugging a big machine, and power cords and even  an converter since the thing is not dual voltage.  So 2 years ago, she bought a very, very tiny cpap, specific for just travel, and it is slightly bigger than a fist.  No, it was not covered under insurance because it is not a full CPAP but a travel one.  Great news was it also came with a battery pack, and it is dual voltage.  It works great, and the battery is good for over 2 nights, or about 20 hours.  So it saves weight, very convenient, and if you ever get stuck in an airport, you can use it.  Plus, some airlines allow it to be plugged in at the seat.  Plus, if your power goes out, you can pull this one out.  

So not knowing what you cpap is, using a portable one, and a battery one, is great, and so convenient on ships, and multiple other places.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Have you ever used those things you can plug into the 220v power port and they convert them to 110v outlets.  I meant to get those for the last cruise and forgot to get one.  That would have helped with another outlet for a Cpap.  Do you remember what they are called?

I use these adapters for both our Resmed and Phillips machines. These do not convert from 220 to 110 but the machines/power supplies will accept either voltage. Read on your power supply. It should say “input 110 to 240v”. If so you can just use an inexpensive adapter and not need a converter. 

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have an airsense 10, and it comes with a power brick that converts AC power into DC to plug into the CPAP machine.....

If you also have an AC brick, take a look at the text on it...most will say Input:115-240VAC 50/60Hz. In that case, you can use the 240 volt European plug with a plain/inexpensive plug converter. 

Aloha,

John

7 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

I do not know about battery packs. From Amazon I bought a 10-foot extension cord with three US outlets and three USB outlets that was cruise ship certified. Used it on Rotterdam in 12/21. No problem. I hope to use it on Anthem of the Seas in October 2023. I do use a CPAP machine. 

Prohibited Items on Royal

• Electrical Extension Cords

On the older ships, I just use the super long extension cords they provide.  I use magnets to put it along the wall at bedtime & just take it up in the morning- doesn’t bother me. 

No problems with outlet shortages on the newer ships - they have an outlet near each bed on the nightlight stand.

🤷🏽‍♀️

• Like 1

We use the ship extension cord.  Depending on the ship and the cabin, it sometimes has to cross the room.  We lay a bath mat over it so we don’t trip over it, works pretty well.  We unplug it during the day and just store the cord and bath mat under the bed until bedtime.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, happytocruiseginny said:

No problems with outlet shortages on the newer ships - they have an outlet near each bed on the nightlight stand.

🤷🏽‍♀️

Our cabin attendant "found" this one for us (on Allure last month) after I'd plugged it in under the desk and routed it around/under the bed. VERY convenient behind the head of the bed (on the phone side). The CPAP's power brick/cord would reach without the extra cord.

• Like 1