Subway from Canal Loft Hotel to Manhattan Cruise Terminal - with luggage - suggestions?

goaussiegal

Hi All,

In October will need to get from Manhattan Cruise Terminal to Canal Loft Hotel and back between 1st & 2nd cruise (got really good deal) - google says use Grand Street and 50St Stations - is this the best way and are they ok with luggage - will have 1 medium bag but probably 20-23kg each (2 of us)?  Google is showing the route also with lots of 'i' signs will this be done by then?

Thanks for any help. 

Give yourself a break - the few dollars a taxi or Uber wold cost would be a minuscule addition to the airfare, hotel cost and cruise fare you are already paying - hauling luggage to station,  down subway steps, on and off trains, and back up to street level and then to hotel ….. are you NUTS?????

• Like 2

4 hours ago, goaussiegal said:

In October will need to get from Manhattan Cruise Terminal to Canal Loft Hotel and back between 1st & 2nd cruise (got really good deal) - google says use Grand Street and 50St Stations - is this the best way and are they ok with luggage - will have 1 medium bag but probably 20-23kg each (2 of us)?  Google is showing the route also with lots of 'i' signs will this be done by then?

If you are used to using public transportation, and are able to carry your baggage up and down stairs, then you have a very good plan. Certainly you don't want to use up the savings you gained from that very good deal by giving it to a taxi driver! But only you know if you can carry your own baggage. A few notes that might be helpful.

The Manhattan Cruise Terminal is closest to the 50th Street station (at Eighth Avenue). You should be able to easily walk the four avenues, from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, at Twelfth Avenue, to the subway at Eighth Avenue (if not, then you would not be able to make the walk at the other end of your trip, from the subway to your hotel).

At 50th Street station there are separate entrances for uptown and downtown trains, and no connection at that station between the two directions. You will want to make certain that you enter on the side for downtown trains, for which you will want to be on the west side of Eighth Avenue. There is an elevator from the street at the northwest corner of West 49th Street and Eighth Avenue.

The 50th Street station has both upper level tracks and lower level tracks. The "C" train stops at the upper level track platforms, while the "E" train stops at the lower level track platforms. You can use either the "C" train or the "E" train. Some people wait on the stairs between the upper level and the lower level, and depending on which train arrives first they will go up the stairs or down the stairs to board that first-arriving train.

You will need to change trains at West 4th Street station. This station, too, has upper level tracks and lower level tracks. You will arrive at the station on the downtown "C" or "E" train on the upper level. Use the stairs or escalators to reach the lower level. At this station board the downtown "B" (weekdays only), "D," or "F" trains. You could board whichever train arrives first.

If you board the "B" or "D" train, ride to Grand Street station. There's no elevator, so you will have to carry your baggage up the stairs. It is a short walk to your hotel.

If you board the "F" train, ride to East Broadway station. There's no elevator, so you will have to carry your baggage up the stairs. There are multiple exits at this station. After alighting from the train, exit from the rear of the train platform. This exit will take you to the Canal Street exit. It is a short walk to your hotel.

Both Grand Street station and East Broadway station are about the same distance from your hotel. The two stations are on opposite sides of the hotel.

There is no problem with taking baggage into the subway. It might be difficult to pass through the turnstiles with baggage. In that case, place your baggage immediately outside the service gate at the fare control area. Pay your fare and pass through the turnstile. Then, from within the paid area, return to the service gate, push the bar on the service gate to open it, and bring in your baggage. While the first person goes through the turnstile, the other person might wait with the baggage at the service gate, and pass the baggage to the first person after having gone through fare control. Then the second person can go through the turnstile.

I don't know about these Google "i" symbols. I would think that this is Google just being excessive. I have never concerned myself with a Google "i."

Edited by GTJ

1 hour ago, Nitemare said:

The “I” symbol may mean Information about current or planned service interruptions or slowdowns.  Click on them to read the info.

I had suspected it meant something to that effect. There are subway disruptions planned in advance, usually to accommodate subway construction of maintenance. For example, during a given weekend, no. 7 trains will operate express between Main Street and Woodside to allow for construction work on the local track. These planned disruptions happen routinely, and in some cases can involve substitute bus service on a given subway segment, etc., But with few exceptions, they don't really affect the ability of people to travel on the subway generally. So often there are just so many of these circumstances, and they're typically for either a short time duration or short effective time (e.g., overnight between midnight at 5 a.m.) that most of the time the comprehensive service notices posted are routinely ignored by most people. When planning a subway journey more than a month in advance, it is very difficult to accurately predict what disruptions might exist on the anticipated travel date: the webpage for planned service changes only goes one month in advance. http://new.mta.info/alerts There are some long-term disruptions, but again it is hard to pick out these particular disruptions when there are so many minor ones. I do not know of any such long-term disruptions on either the Eighth Avenue or the Sixth Avenue subway lines. Unless travel was being planned within the coming month I would not be concerned. Now there are also present subway disruptions, either planned disruptions now in effect, or unplanned disruptions. If traveling immediately, then I might look at the live subway map that shows present subway disruptions. http://map.mta.info The Google "i" markers are, apparently, taken from the live subway map. But for planning purposes, unless one is about to travel right now, both the live subway maps and the Google "i" markers are fairly useless.

Use the live subway map or Google maps when traveling immediately. Use the planned service changes for advance planning within the coming month. Don't bother at all with any disruptions if planning more than a month in advance.

11 hours ago, GTJ said:

f you are used to using public transportation, and are able to carry your baggage up and down stairs, then you have a very good plan. Certainly you don't want to use up the savings you gained from that very good deal by giving it to a taxi driver! But only you know if you can carry your own baggage. A few notes that might be helpful.

Very likely someone from Australia is not to used to something like the New York Subway. Hopefully after reading your long post it will confuse them enough that will be convinced not to take the subway with luggage. 😀

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Very likely someone from Australia is not to used to something like the New York Subway. Hopefully after reading your long post it will confuse them enough that will be convinced not to take the subway with luggage.

I would not diminish the intelligence of Aussies as to being able to understand how to ride public transportation in New York City. Moreover, public transportation use is higher in Australia than in the United States. http://www.transportist.org/2018/06/26/public-transport-ridership-in-the-us-and-australia Bannockburn is a rural community about 90km outside of Melbourne, a bustling cosmopolitan city that has the world's largest tram network. If the person making inquiry routinely uses public transportation when in Melbourne, and has the ability to navigate on that system, then I see no great difficulty with using the public transportation system in New York. This is a city of immigrants from around the world, and those immigrants can easily use New York City's public transportation system; Aussies are no less capable.

Edited by GTJ

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

This is a city of immigrants from around the world, and those immigrants can easily use New York City's public transportation system; Aussies are no less capable.

I am not saying at all that they are less capable. The New York City transportation system is not going to be like systems in Australia. I expect it is much easier to navigate public transportation in Auatralia. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I am not saying at all that they are less capable. The New York City transportation system is not going to be like systems in Australia. I expect it is much easier to navigate public transportation in Australia. 

Of course, every public transportation system differs from the others. Does that mean a person living in Chicago who rides the 'L' train regularly would have difficulty riding the subway in New York City? Of course not. And compared to bus and tram (streetcar) systems, subways are generally easier to navigate because of the extensive wayfinding signs posted throughout the system, something that is typically not present for the surface transit systems. Below is a schematic of the Melbourne tram system. There are approximately 160 route miles of tramways in Melbourne, compared to 248 route miles of subways in New York. Are persons who are able to navigate Melbourne trams unable to navigate New York subways? If that were the case, imagine the chaos that would happen if Aussies attempted to drive on American highways . . . American highways are not at all like highway systems in Australia! Yes, scale and details may differ (and above I provided some of those details for the particular journey intended here), but with the basic life skills that all adults should possess, and minimal cognitive ability, there is no problem in using New York's subway.

Tram_map_of_Melbourne.svg

Thank you GTJ - this is the sort of detail I was hoping to get.  I have travelled lots of metro/train/tram systems including New York in the past (we stayed in a different area) and have managed fine but in London with the tube we did get stuck with some track closures and more steps than expected so am a bit 'paranoid' about checking when taking luggage.  Thank you for defending us Aussies but yes Charles4545 our systems are different - we have much less frequent services and very few multilevel ones - we might have 16 platforms but they are all on the same level. I remember NY as being well signed.  I appreciate everyone's feedback and definitely will take all advice onboard.

• Like 1

The thing about weekend closures/reroutings is that they are generally not announced until the Wednesday or Thursday before the weekend the closures/reroutings are to happen. So it is hard to know before then if the train you need will even be running in the direction you need.

And has been said, it is a good walk from the subway to the port - the C or E at 50th is on 8th Ave. It’s 4 long blocks and then either crossing a busy 4-lane road or hauling your stuff up a sky bridge to cross, then back down.

Honestly I would save the hassle and use a taxi, Uber, or Lyft - or even a car service like Carmel or Dial7. Since you’re in Manhattan, the fare won’t be as ridiculous as it would if you were in another borough.

• Like 2

IMHO, of course - with NYC's MTA frequent and regular weekend service changes, i.e. like this weekend, and the transfer & stations, different platforms & station concourse, etc. involved for 2 out-of-town travelers each lugging 50 lbs. of luggage plus carry-ons/backpacks - not exactly something that I would endorse or recommend.  If they are simply sightseeing while on a visit, without heavy luggage in tow, and are comfortable using mass transit ... then, by all means - go for it.  Hey, at least OMNY system is now operational and they don't need to worry about buying Metro card(s) and figure out how to use it, while standing there with their luggage.  

I am 99% positive that their hotel can arrange or call a car service for them from the hotel to MCT, fares including congestion surcharges should run about $30 - plus tips for about $36 to $37 ... probably less if they use a "local" car service from that area.  Uber/Lyft should be (just) a little less than this.  

Curbside to curbside, no stairs, entrances & escalators, sideways and curbs, traffic lights, etc. to deal with on top of luggage & other valuable / personal belongings - DW would probably say, heck with the subways & transfers and weekend service changes, just spent that extra $30 (subway fares for 2 is $5.50 for 2 now for the one-way trip) for ease, comfort and peace of mind ... and not having to walk those long city blocks from 8th Avenue at W. 50th Street to/from 12th Avenue at W. 48th Street, on top of the hotel's end.  Weekdays, there are frequent subway services thru both Lower East Side station to go uptown and toward Brooklyn, Grand Street is more heavily used than East B'dway station, but weekends - less frequent services should be expected ... assuming no changes are made.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mking8288 said:

I am 99% positive that their hotel can arrange or call a car service for them from the hotel to MCT, fares including congestion surcharges should run about $30 - plus tips for about $36 to $37 ... probably less if they use a "local" car service from that area. Uber/Lyft should be (just) a little less than this.

I would not be so certain. While I don't know this hotel specifically, what I see is a Chinatown hotel with a non-functioning website and mixed reviews. It is clearly a budget hotel, and likely has room clerks that are not going to be as capable and professional as one might find in a first class hotel. This may be a good place to stay if saving dollars is important, and unreasonable expectations are avoided. Requesting car service to be arranged from afar is something that I would place in the category of unreasonable expectation. Given that a budget hotel is being sought, I would hesitate to endorse a hired car over public transportation that, as a whole, is fairly convenient.

11 hours ago, mking8288 said:

NYC's MTA frequent and regular weekend service changes, i.e. like this weekend, and the transfer & stations, different platforms & station concourse, etc.

Yes, disruptions more frequently than most people would like, though usually the disruptions are restricted to nights and weekends. But sometimes the disruptions are actually helpful. For me, that includes trains running express, instead of local, providing a quicker trip. For this particular trip I saw that this past weekend the uptown Sixth Avenue trains were operating along Eighth Avenue, so would could travel direct from either Grand Street or East Broadway to 50th Street without having to change trains at West 4th Street. So here, too, the disruption would provide more convenient travel. Again, check the live map when actually raveling to see if there are any relevant disruptions.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2023 at 9:17 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Give yourself a break - the few dollars a taxi or Uber wold cost would be a minuscule addition to the airfare, hotel cost and cruise fare you are already paying - hauling luggage to station,  down subway steps, on and off trains, and back up to street level and then to hotel ….. are you NUTS?????

This is exactly what we've been told we'll have to do in Rome & Japan to get from airport to cruise terminal,  so yes I probably am nuts.

Don't want to do it, but want to get me and my luggage on the ship. 🙂

On 6/4/2023 at 12:55 PM, GTJ said:

...Bannockburn is a rural community about 90km outside of Melbourne, a bustling cosmopolitan city that has the world's largest tram network. If the person making inquiry routinely uses public transportation when in Melbourne, and has the ability to navigate on that system, then I see no great difficulty with using the public transportation system in New York...

I reside in an area pretty well just the opposite - current population right at 400,000, no public transportation so zero experience negotiating trains, subways or buses, much less a combination of the 3.

Last I knew, this is the largest city in America without public transport. Lovely...does tend to make the idea of traveling in places like NYC seem daunting and stressful. 

8 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I reside in an area pretty well just the opposite - current population right at 400,000, no public transportation * * *

You've given yourself well away with that clue . . . Arlington, Texas, is well-known with the professional transportation community as having that characteristic! Actually, Arlington used to have some public transportation years ago. The North Texas Traction Company operated an interurban railway in Arlington, part of a longer route between Fort Worth and Dallas, between 1902 and 1937. Within Arlington cars operated along Abram Street. Additionally, a corporate affiliate of the railway, Texas Motor Coaches, operated a parallel bus route between Fort Worth and Dallas, the buses operating along the length of Division Street, which was then highway U.S. 80 (additional express buses between Fort Worth and Dallas operated on the turnpike, but it was only the local transit buses that went through Arlington). The interurban railway is long gone, while the bus route became known as Texas Bus Lines. I am not certain exactly when the service was withdrawn, but it was probably in the early 1990s. The city of Arlington has since developed as low-density and auto-centric, resulting in a geography that would make it very difficult for there to be an efficient and effective local public transportation system within the city itself. The city could likely support longer commuter bus services to Dallas and/or Fort Worth, but the greatest barrier to that would likely be political opposition to the tax support that would like be required for such a service.

As for New York City, I would agree that it can be "daunting" to people not used to being in large cities. This is especially because not only is New York City large, but it is the largest city in the country, exceeding by far all other large cities in the country. One of the ways to keep this daunting city in check is to not take on too much. Indeed, I don't think that anyone has conquered all of New York City--even lifelong residents--simply because it is so large. So how to deal with it and not get stressed out too much (I won't not stressed at all, but to at least keep things manageable)? One of the best ways: don't rent a car, and don't drive. Not only is motor vehicle traffic thick, but the roads are old and not always well-engineered, there are many signs all over (and then sometimes still enough), and pedestrians abound everyplace (and thus such NYC-specific traffic rules as mandatory stopping at red traffic signals, even when intending to turn right). Parking rules are understood by few--the posted regulatory signs are numerous, and it is best to have a law degree to synthesize and understand them all; parking tickets should be an expectation when driving. The answer is to let someone else do the driving. Use public transportation, or if need be, a taxi. There are very good maps for public transportation, and directional signage is generally good. Service is plentiful and frequent, at least for local trips within New York City, so rarely need one stress to rush for a bus or a train for the next one will come along soon. You will need to be attentive as to the next stop or station, for no one else will ensure that you alight at your destination. But that minor need is the greatest stress. Otherwise, enjoy the ride as your professional driver or motorman take you where you want to go. Using a taxi does not require attentiveness to the "next" stop--since the driver will take you to your requested destination--but because the fare varies based on distance, there are a small number of dishonest drivers who will go the long way. Thus, even in a taxi, one should be attentive so to avoid being cheated on the fare. None of this should be overly stressful, at so long as you do not drive yourself. The stress that is here can be manageable, particularly if you set your mind to not stressing out yourself merely because this city may be daunting.

Perhaps an excursion into Dallas could provide some useful preparation. While DART light rail is not of the same magnitude as New York, the means by which one uses the DART system is not much different from using public transportation in New York. DART even has a subway station (Cityplace/Uptown). A day playing tourist in Dallas, using DART only, could be good practice.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

This is exactly what we've been told we'll have to do in Rome & Japan to get from airport to cruise terminal,  so yes I probably am nuts.

Don't want to do it, but want to get me and my luggage on the ship. 🙂

You don’t have too. You can arrange a private transfer from the airport to the port in Rome. I have done trains and private transfer. Private transfer is the easiest. 

• Thanks 1