Azamara Alcohol

Glory148

This is the first time travelling on an alcohol included cruise so am unclear about a couple of things.  There's mention of a gratuity on drinks.  Is the gratuity applied to only those drinks which have an upcharge and aren't included in the complimentary listings, or does the gratuity apply to all drinks requested under the complimentary wine and cocktail list.  Also, in some Caribbean ports alcohol is not served while the ship is in port.  We are on a Norway cruise with very long days in port.  Is alcohol permitted to be served while we are in port?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Have cruised Journey and Onward.  The gratuity is included with the included drinks and also included if you purchase a drink package.  There is no upcharge if you purchase something not part of the package ( or the included set) you pay the listed price.

For our first cruise (Cuba) we stayed with the included set of liquors and beers and when DH ordered a drink that was not included (the tip is included in the drink price) and the ticket for DH to sign also had a tip line.

On our more recent cruise (SPAIN) we each had a package and when you ordered something that was not on the included list, the server brought the item up on his handheld with our suite number and that told the server whether or not we had the package or that the drink would be charged.  On our final bill these drinks were listed all with a $0.00 charge.

As for what happens in port, I do not remember anything about no drinks being served in port.  What I do remember (not sure if this was Azamara) is in certain ports, items could not be purchased (whether from the boutique or a liquor item not included) because of a very very high tax that the country imposed.  You will hear about this a couple days before that port.

1 hour ago, Glory148 said:

This is the first time travelling on an alcohol included cruise so am unclear about a couple of things.  There's mention of a gratuity on drinks.  Is the gratuity applied to only those drinks which have an upcharge and aren't included in the complimentary listings, or does the gratuity apply to all drinks requested under the complimentary wine and cocktail list.  Also, in some Caribbean ports alcohol is not served while the ship is in port.  We are on a Norway cruise with very long days in port.  Is alcohol permitted to be served while we are in port?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I have heard about NCL ships not serving alcohol in some ports. I think it’s a rule that’s exclusive to them, and I am not sure why they do that. Maybe a tax thing? I have never sailed with NCL, and I haven’t encountered that strange rule with any other cruise line.

I’ve never heard of any ship in any port not serving drinks, even had drinks whilst in Middle Eastern ports, would be surprised if Norway didn’t allow it, ive met many Norwegians and believe me t they  a drink like a drink like the rest of us 🤣🤣

• Like 1

The boutique shops are closed while in port, the bars remain open. Perhaps that is the confusion. Gratuities are  included on all drinks, either included or upgraded drinks. I leave a small tip when I purchase a premium drink. My premium, non included, single malt scotches usually run me $10 a pop, far, far less money than I could possibly spend purchasing an upgrade package for the mandatory two people. (Normally I'm a gin drinker, Beefeater or Gordon is usually available on the complementary list, and I've been getting decent Martinis on Quest, especially in the Living room. I'm perfectly willing to pay for my occasional Tanqueray 10 or Hendricks) Azamara allows you to carry hard liquor (and soft liquor) on board for consumption in your stateroom. I've actually stopped carrying the stuff because the bars are very good and I don't have to lug the stuff. If you can survive the Azamara computer horrors, you are in for a fabulous trip, at least once you get on board. Have a great time.

6 minutes ago, Dr H said:

The boutique shops are closed while in port, the bars remain open. Perhaps that is the confusion. Gratuities are  included on all drinks, either included or upgraded drinks. I leave a small tip when I purchase a premium drink. My premium, non included, single malt scotches usually run me $10 a pop, far, far less money than I could possibly spend purchasing an upgrade package for the mandatory two people. (Normally I'm a gin drinker, Beefeater or Gordon is usually available on the complementary list, and I've been getting decent Martinis on Quest, especially in the Living room. I'm perfectly willing to pay for my occasional Tanqueray 10 or Hendricks) Azamara allows you to carry hard liquor (and soft liquor) on board for consumption in your stateroom. I've actually stopped carrying the stuff because the bars are very good and I don't have to lug the stuff. If you can survive the Azamara computer horrors, you are in for a fabulous trip, at least once you get on board. Have a great time.

It’s not a ‘mandatory two people’. It is possible for only 1 person in a cabin to buy a package.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Viking indicate they are limited in the alcohol they can serve onboard in Norway last year they had no problems but the warning is there for this year.
Azamara had limitations when we were in Cochin however Azamara are proactive in doing all they can to make alcohol available where restrictions arise. 
Unfortunately restrictions are becoming more prevalent so just because you didn’t have it before doesn’t mean someone won’t have it now. 

Remember the days when the Spanish didn’t apply VAT onboard 

8 minutes ago, uktog said:

Viking indicate they are limited in the alcohol they can serve onboard in Norway last year they had no problems but the warning is there for this year.
Azamara had limitations when we were in Cochin however Azamara are proactive in doing all they can to make alcohol available where restrictions arise. 
Unfortunately restrictions are becoming more prevalent so just because you didn’t have it before doesn’t mean someone won’t have it now. 

When we were on Crystal in Durban South Africa there was a restriction on getting alcohol out of the bonded stores. Unfortunately Crystal weren’t proactive in ensuring bars were fully stocked before arrival and as it was an overnight stop there were problems in getting some drinks.

• Like 1

Thanks all for clarification and glad to hear of recent good onboard experience.  It's a little disconcerting with all of the IT issues and first time on this cruiseline.  Feeling excited about our upcoming cruise!!!

1 hour ago, uktog said:

We were just in several Norway ports with Viking last month. There was no hint that alcohol might be limited, and indeed, it was not limited. We had their add-on drinks package, and had no trouble getting our money’s worth! 😊

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

We were just in several Norway ports with Viking last month. There was no hint that alcohol might be limited, and indeed, it was not limited. We had their add-on drinks package, and had no trouble getting our money’s worth! 😊

Good to hear. It seems inconsistent 

• Like 1

NCL seems to be a special case.  The NCL forum has been lit up for a while now [pun intended!] with complaints and speculation about reasons – since various NCL employees have used difference excuses.  I think the forum is settling on a consensus that it is just incompetence...