OLife moves to "all in"

WESTEAST

1 minute ago, Snaefell3 said:

The trouble lies in that money spent on 3rd party excursions seems to go much farther than money spent on Oceania excursions.

...even after allowing for needed research and allowing extra return-time margins.

Agreed. 

I do think this is not necessarily a bad thing for the average O customer.  However, for us, who stretched to go on O in the first place and don't really drink and for the moment are not planning excursions (or maybe one cheaper one) as we are doing 10 day Caribbean's roundtrip from Miami mainly to keep our airfare down and we have friends to stay with pre and post cruise for free, this may eliminate this small niche.   Won't blame them if they believe this helps their business but, it may mean we have to look at Celebrity or similar, which while we believe won't be as nice, will most likely cost less than our current cruise only fares and MAYBE quite a bit less than the new fares.

If it does we will probably need to at least explore other options in the future.  Who can say, they may increase the fares and add more sales?  We just don't have enough information at this time and since we are booked Marina in 2024 we have plenty of time to make decisions after that.

Had this happened a few years ago we may never have found O in the first place.  Unfortunately, it is my guess that now that we have cruised O, cheaper options will keep us comparing to the things we loved on O.  Extended B3's, awesome beds, great service, basically what we felt was luxury level cruising sans drinks and excursions.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I understand  if you book the cruise with the new program

It will be air + basic drinks package +  a credit to be used for shore excursions  on the cruise

or

no air  but still the basic drinks package & credit for excursions

The  unknown factor  is how much the cruise prices will increase   for the   "FREE"   included eatras

stay tuned   on July 1st  to find out the  real deal

Or if you are booked you get to keep  the current  option you have chosen

Lyn. I agree that the proof is in the value pudding.  Once we see how much this change influences pricing...that is the old "cruise only" vs the new "cruise only," we'll be able to make a serious analysis.

I wouldn't mind a modest increase, especially since the new model includes a second WiFi account to the stateroom, and wine and beer with lunch and dinner is fine with me, if it doesn't mean a $30 pp pd increase.  

Our first cruises were with Regent, before it became all inclusive, and we fled when it made that change.

So the pricing is a key...but then what will be our other cruise lines with small ships options?  The general competition includes what O is going to in its pricing, so we're going to pay in any case.  Then it comes down to itinerary and pricing.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hanoj said:

We're the same with regard to alcohol and ship tours and since we fly business class on international flights, we have already looked closely at Regent (SB and SS don't appeal to us, each for different reasons). Regent still appears too formal for our preferences, which is why we gave the nod to O for our first cruise since the shutdowns (formerly only cruised with Viking River and Ocean but not likely again). 

The new prices should reveal whom O regards as its competition. This will be interesting. 

BTW Regent is not formal at all. It is very much like O with most everything prepaid. I have enjoyed both. I find O a better value. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

The money for excursions can be used for any excursions they have even a car and driver or a private excursion for the two of you..

I dont see how anyone that does anything on land cant use that excursion money

Jancruz1

Yes, but private tours are still way cheaper if you book independently and not through the ship. 

We would book the ship excursions, but on our last cruise they were very crowded. On the previous cruises we had around 25-30 people on average, now all excursions were consistently around 40 people. The tour to Bordeaux was a bus trip with 3 hours on your own and cost $200. Not the best use on my money, but now we will be forced to take at least 2-4 tours from the ship.

Car and driver for half day is around $600-700. Even SS private excursions are cheaper.

Edited by ak1004
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I wouldn't mind a modest increase, especially since the new model includes a second WiFi account to the stateroom, and wine and beer with lunch and dinner is fine with me, if it doesn't mean a $30 pp pd increase.  

So the pricing is a key...but then what will be our other cruise lines with small ships options?  The general competition includes what O is going to in its pricing, so we're going to pay in any case.  Then it comes down to itinerary and pricing.

Exactly my thoughts.. Viking is already more expensive on average. Many options on paper but when you look closer.. 

Edited by ak1004

30 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Azamara?

We have a cruise on AZ this coming January and the pricing was good when we booked many moons ago, but since it is sold out, we can't compare current pricing.  We did like AZ when we cruised with them in 2009 and we expect to enjoy this one, but we like the food and restaurants better on O (personal choice).  The main drawback for us (other than its current IT disaster which is still not solved...but it will be) is the limited number of itineraries which cover where we ant to go.  That why we are trying Viking, but are lowering our cruise experience expectations, especially in the food department. But we are itinerary driven, and after that comparison of pricing and inclusions.

• Like 1

With the new pricing structure including beer and wine at lunch and dinner, I think this is to attract the generations younger than baby boomers.  Statistics show that Gen X and Millenials are more likely to drink alcohol than baby boomers. 

I drink enough wine at mealtimes to probably make it worth it however I have to wait and see how much fares will increase.  I do feel bad for people who don't drink because they'll be subsidizing those that do. Not sure how I feel yet about credit for shore excursions. I'll hold judgment until it all shakes out.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

But we are itinerary driven, and after that comparison of pricing and inclusions.

Same for me. Small ships + good itineraries are my two main drivers. Small ships are getting hard to find....

AZ pricing to me seems lower than O pricing. They offer more reduced solo supplements, which also matters to me.

I cruised on AZ to Cuba a few years back and liked it. I am on them again for a BTB Med itinerary that includes some real gems -- new ports for me after a dozen Med cruises. Before that I am on O to Iceland and Greenland. We shall see how these adventures shake out before making future bookings.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Same for me. Small ships + good itineraries are my two main drivers. Small ships are getting hard to find....

AZ pricing to me seems lower than O pricing. They offer more reduced solo supplements, which also matters to me.

I cruised on AZ to Cuba a few years back and liked it. I am on them again for a BTB Med itinerary that includes some real gems -- new ports for me after a dozen Med cruises. Before that I am on O to Iceland and Greenland. We shall see how these adventures shake out before making future bookings.

Just looked at Azamara prices.. seem comparable to O, at least for what we are looking for (around 10 nights in the Med). But cabins are much smaller compared to O class.

5 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Azamara does not compare to O. Have done 2 on AZ, will not do more.

We found food slightly better on O but comparable overall. Service comparable. Less dining options compared to O class, very limited entertainment. Azamazing events are great.

We would probably consider them given the right itinerary and price, but definitely prefer O larger ships.

9 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Azamara does not compare to O. Have done 2 on AZ, will not do more.

We find Azamara superior to O.  Their itineraries are much more interesting – and they actually call on the ports that were advertised!  The atmosphere onboard is livelier and friendlier.  IMO you do have to spring for a Club Continent suite to get a decent size cabin and bathroom, but then you get the specialty restaurants included as well as laundry, internet, the Thalassotherapy pool and spa deck – and a butler.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We find Azamara superior to O.  Their itineraries are much more interesting – and they actually call on the ports that were advertised!  The atmosphere onboard is livelier and friendlier.  IMO you do have to spring for a Club Continent suite to get a decent size cabin and bathroom, but then you get the specialty restaurants included as well as laundry, internet, the Thalassotherapy pool and spa deck – and a butler.

And this is exactly the problem - for the price of Azamara suite, you can book SB or SS (and the cabin will still be larger than Azamara suite). Same with Oceania R class. 

But I agree about itineraries.

5 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

But I agree about itineraries.

Itinerary is #1 in planning our trips.  Food is #2.  Everything else is 'nice to have.'  That makes Azamara – and Noble Caledonia – our favorite cruise lines.  [Also trying Windstar's stretched ex-Seabourn yachts, and will even put up with the French bias on Ponant for a good itinerary!]

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Itinerary is #1 in planning our trips.  Food is #2.  Everything else is 'nice to have.'  That makes Azamara – and Noble Caledonia – our favorite cruise lines.  [Also trying Windstar's stretched ex-Seabourn yachts, and will even put up with the French bias on Ponant for a good itinerary!]

We are the same. But SS also has some very nice itineraries, with longer stays and overnights. And if you book a suite on Azamara, SS can be a better deal. I don't find suites on Azamara and Oceania a good deal at all, especially not on R ships.

We’re itinerary driven. We walked aboard Vista and was told an hour had been shaved off one of our ports. 🤬

I suppose the Captain had a dream the night before and had changed the cruise schedule . Problem with that theory is the  ports knew well in advance, as did our tour guides. Oceania, abhorring customer communication, opted to wait until boarding to inform we passengers. Typical!

Speaking of food. Prime Rib is now completely deleted, on the Vista, from the Polo Grill menu. Staff says it will not return. Even though ordered medium rare tonight, my ribeye was between medium well and well done. Another Typical! The 12 Oz steak is cut so thin it would be difficult to cook even medium if flipped on both sides.

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Just looked at Azamara prices.. seem comparable to O, at least for what we are looking for (around 10 nights in the Med). But cabins are much smaller compared to O class.

I would probably only sail the Renaissance ships of either line, so cabins are a wash for me. As said, I like SMALL ships. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

IMO you do have to spring for a Club Continent suite to get a decent size cabin and bathroom, but then you get the specialty restaurants included as well as laundry, internet, the Thalassotherapy pool and spa deck – and a butler.

That would be the same as booking PH & above on the R ships  with Oceania

Plus on Oceania even the lower categories get the specialty restaurants  & internet included

we do not mind the smaller cabins on the Oceania  R ships

8 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

we do not mind the smaller cabins on the Oceania  R ships

How are the bathrooms on the R ships?  I read that they are small, but that they are better than they used to be.

Almost sailed on an R ship when it was new.  R filed for bankruptcy about a month before the cruise.  

1 minute ago, cruiserchuck said:

How are the bathrooms on the R ships?  I read that they are small, but that they are better than they used to be.

Almost sailed on an R ship when it was new.  R filed for bankruptcy about a month before the cruise.  

the showers  are small  but  we have no trouble using them

found  the stand alone shower on the O class ship more of an issue

11 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

They are small and part of the basic structure of the cabin so can't be enlarged.  Oceania replaced the clingy shower curtains with glass doors, but because of the small size people report having painful interactions with their funny bones.  Azamara replaced the clingy shower curtains with fabric curtains, which allow a modest expansion of the shower size when your elbow pushes on it.  Neither solution is perfect.  The CC (Azamara ) or PH (Oceania) suites have larger showers that are much nicer.  [The R-ships were quite forward-looking in design when they debuted, so they have aged very well IMO]

38 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

the showers  are small  but  we have no trouble using them

Exactly my feeling. I'm always surprised by the "shower angst". Pretty much every (local) hotel and apartment I've stayed at in Europe has a shower that is about the same size.

• Like 3