OLife moves to "all in"

WESTEAST

52 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Hmmmm. I think you might be mistaken, but I hope not!

I can see a situation where cruise only will be available, but not actively promoted by Oceania (e.g., no mention of it in brochures or on website). Perhaps making it only available through TA’s.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grifdoglover said:

@Basor I have been reading different cruise lines forums on Panama Canal itinerary changes.  Just did the search bar and several show up Viking, Princess etc.  I don’t believe it is coincidence with the drought but I may be wrong.  I hope yours is not affected and it does appear that Panama is still being offered. It is a very severe drought.

I don't mean to be difficult but I just searched and could find no cruise that were diverted/itinerary changed and not going through the canal.. In the Viking forum there is an itinerary change to a sailing next October where they are not going to Cartagena.  Please direct me to the link to the forums that specifically state that the itinerary is changed due to Panama Canal.  Itinerary changes to port before or after transiting I don't believe have anything to do with the Canal.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

I can see a situation where cruise only will be available, but not actively promoted by Oceania (e.g., no mention of it in brochures or on website). Perhaps making it only available through TA’s.

Wishful thinking 🤔

2 hours ago, ORV said:

You’re basing this on what?

I thought someone mentioned that there *was* going to be a "cruise only" option.

HOWEVER (and the devil is in the details), this was not going to be your favorite "cruise only" of the past (pre "simplyMORE").  Wasn't that choice going to be without the air, but still include the forced payment for the "new" beverage arrangement AND the "new" excursion arrangement?

[In an earlier post on this thread, someone mentioned that "Nashna" had mentioned this so-called "cruise only" on a *different* thread.  However, I can't now find a post that is directly about the so-called "cruise only" option.]

If my memory of that choice is correct, then Oceania is simply using the same terminology for a very different choice!  And if so, it's a terrific way to confuse one's customers.

Not good...

ETA:  Found a post by MargateKev that included this bullet point:

• When you choose cruise-only fare under the simplyMORE program you are excluding air only, all of the other amenity changes outlined will be included.

as Post #3 in the "Simply more's impact on current bookings?" thread

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

Since there is so much "O" experience on this thread, I will ask the question here.  Am looking at the 2024 Alaska to LA cruise.  First time on O, but Elite + on Celebrity, have sailed numerous lines, including the R ships.  Wondering if we should book now or wait until July.  We do our own airlines.  We have been to most of the ports before and usually do our own thing in port, not ship tours. Since we have lunches off the ship, the basic drink package doesn't seem to be of value.  I think the Prestige daily cost is overkill for us.  Probably will take the OBC and use it for drinks and grats (can we do that?). 

So, book now or wait until July?

Thank you!

17 minutes ago, cluso said:

Since there is so much "O" experience on this thread, I will ask the question here.  Am looking at the 2024 Alaska to LA cruise.  First time on O, but Elite + on Celebrity, have sailed numerous lines, including the R ships.  Wondering if we should book now or wait until July.  We do our own airlines.  We have been to most of the ports before and usually do our own thing in port, not ship tours. Since we have lunches off the ship, the basic drink package doesn't seem to be of value.  I think the Prestige daily cost is overkill for us.  Probably will take the OBC and use it for drinks and grats (can we do that?). 

Thank you!

Based on what we think we know right now and on what you wrote, I would book now. It’s possible you could convert after July 1, if that looks like a better deal. Just me. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, cluso said:

Probably will take the OBC and use it for drinks and grats (can we do that?).

Yes, you can.  But you can also just pass on the OBC and get a discount on the cruise fare equal to the amount of the OBC.  This is what I did on my recent booking.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cluso said:

Thank you!

JMO

I would book now  skip O life  & do the "cruise only"

If you wait  until July  then you will be locked into the  Excursions credit  & beverage deal  which may be  a higher price  than now

it sounds like a use it or lose it situation  at the moment

Once the details come out you will have the option to switch to "simply more" for a fee

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TonicTraveler said:

I am basing this on the webinar presented by Oceania about Simply More.  I also called Oceania to confirm.

On the webinar there was no cruise only and Im not sure you called the right person to confirm..as far as I know AT THIS TIME Excursion only money and wine and beer with lunch and dinner is an absolute must..

Jancruz1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Jan,

I think the confusion is that the phrase "Cruise Only" used to mean something different than it is going to be under "SimplyMORE".  The new 'Cruise Only" simply means no air included.so a discount to the price equal to the air credit.

And by the way, haven't we all been paying for the benefits included in the O Life offerings?  Oceania has included those costs in the pricing, since it has no way of knowing which O Life amenity a cruiser will choose, and no additional money over and above the O Life pricing is collected.  Even if you elect 'Cruise Only' the biggest discount is the air credit.  The reduction for not taking O Life is equal to 50% of the O Life OBC amount.  I doubt that the new "SimplyMORE" will result in the huge fare increases the various Cassandras are predicting.

Remember, Oceania pays wholesale for the wine and other spirits, as well as for the shore excursions.  The accounting types have calculated the costs and what needs to be collected to pay for those costs, plus make a profit for O, regardless of what options you choose when you book.

I think the confusion is that the phrase "Cruise Only" used to mean something different than it is going to be under "SimplyMORE".  The new 'Cruise Only" simply means no air included.so a discount to the price equal to the air credit.

You are correct..Thanks,

Jancruz1

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, golfguyhhi said:

Jan,

And by the way, haven't we all been paying for the benefits included in the O Life offerings?  Oceania has included those costs in the pricing, since it has no way of knowing which O Life amenity a cruiser will choose, and no additional money over and above the O Life pricing is collected.  Even if you elect 'Cruise Only' the biggest discount is the air credit.  The reduction for not taking O Life is equal to 50% of the O Life OBC amount.  I doubt that the new "SimplyMORE" will result in the huge fare increases the various Cassandras are predicting.

Remember, Oceania pays wholesale for the wine and other spirits, as well as for the shore excursions.  The accounting types have calculated the costs and what needs to be collected to pay for those costs, plus make a profit for O, regardless of what options you choose when you book.

Actually Oceania can buy wine, beer, and spirits at prices far better than wholesale direct from the producers. Completely different price levels. 

54 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

On the webinar there was no cruise only and Im not sure you called the right person to confirm..as far as I know AT THIS TIME Excursion only money and wine and beer with lunch and dinner is an absolute must..

Jancruz1

It seems likely, especially if that post I quoted above (from some bullet point list) is correct, that "cruise only" will now mean "cruise only, and the cruise includes <things like some excursions, beverages, etc.>", but not air.

After all, the air is not "during the cruise", but things like beverages and excursions *are* "during the cruise".  That would make them similar to, say, soft drinks (which are not "included" on all cruise lines) or Specialty restaurants...

However, it's still not going to be "all inclusive" due to the booze, or excursions above the amount "allowed".

I've always had a question about the "all inclusives":  I assume that they do not let passengers go wild with a nice wine list...  That is, I can't imagine that "all inclusive" would  indeed include bottles of Cheval Blanc wine or such, for example.

There are some ultra-lux destinations/etc., that do not charge extra for fine wine (and will even try to stock a preferred wine/vintage), but even those that make that claim... there *must* be some limits, or even they won't be in business long.

So does the "all inclusive" of the luxury lines actually mean "mostly inclusive", or is it really "everything on the ship is included"?

Finally, others have raised an important question (one that doesn't affect us because we take private excursions [and sometimes include others in the Roll Call], but it's important more generally!):  What happens about those "included excursions" (or money for them) if the excursions one wants (or in some cases, is able to do, such as long walks) are full?

It's not so great if that 3- or 4-figures of included excursions end up being things you absolutely are not interested in, or absolutely cannot even do?

Inquiring minds (who enjoy fine wine! 😉 )... etc... 

Thanks.

GC

• Like 2

Simply not interested in "SimplyMORE " since my medications don't allow mw to drink alcohol and sugared drinks and I've been to most ports many times and simply stay on the ship or walk around port area. For me, the ship is the destination. We all look for different things and I hope Oceania provides a cruise only option.

• Like 8

I am pleased that travel agents have let people know about these changes on Cruise Critic and Facebook, so bookings can be made before July 1. I guess by not giving a "heads up" to passengers, O figures those that will still book will offset those that walk away. 

Edited by Benita
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

Hate to hear this, as it is bad news for those who do not wish to pay for the wine and beer and shore excursions that they don't want.

IMHO, it appears to be a calculated business decision:

• The cruise lines are all in a big financial bind with the debt accumulated during the shut down
  • Many different cruise execs have commented over the years that much of the cruise line profits are derived from the add on spending that occurs
  • O changing to a compulsory fare that includes selected add ons will be, in theory, more profitable - especially since they know that some people will not use the drinks or excursions that are going to be embedded in the new fare structure
  • If the ships continue to sail mostly full, then it is a good business decision. However, if O experiences what happened at Celebrity, then maybe not. One has to believe that they have considered this.

From a consumer perspective we think it is a pretty significant negative. It is being positioned as a classic case of win/lose despite the marketing speak of simplification. Could have been a win/win if they had simply eliminated the O Life marketing and adopted a basic fare with a list of options each priced separately or packaged at a discount. But, if the current reports are true that will not be the case.

• Like 2

It's not about beer and wine,  it's about raising rates.  We have had massive inflation and they are in debt.   If you want the cheaper rates you are going to have to go down to the mainstream lines.

• Like 3

The person I spoke with at Oceania said that the "cruise only" option would be available under Simply More.  However, they did not define "cruise only."  Perhaps there will be no "cruise only" as it exists today.  I do feel mislead by the O rep.

2 hours ago, Croooser said:

Hate to hear this, as it is bad news for those who do not wish to pay for the wine and beer and shore excursions that they don't want.

IMHO, it appears to be a calculated business decision:

• The cruise lines are all in a big financial bind with the debt accumulated during the shut down
  • Many different cruise execs have commented over the years that much of the cruise line profits are derived from the add on spending that occurs
  • O changing to a compulsory fare that includes selected add ons will be, in theory, more profitable - especially since they know that some people will not use the drinks or excursions that are going to be embedded in the new fare structure
  • If the ships continue to sail mostly full, then it is a good business decision. However, if O experiences what happened at Celebrity, then maybe not. One has to believe that they have considered this.

From a consumer perspective we think it is a pretty significant negative. It is being positioned as a classic case of win/lose despite the marketing speak of simplification. Could have been a win/win if they had simply eliminated the O Life marketing and adopted a basic fare with a list of options each priced separately or packaged at a discount. But, if the current reports are true that will not be the case.

What happened to Celebrity? Are you referring to a large increase in price resulting in people moving over to O or other brands similar to O or ? Thanks

27 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

What happened to Celebrity? Are you referring to a large increase in price resulting in people moving over to O or other brands similar to O or ? Thanks

Celebrity switched to "Always Included" pricing in November 2020, in which most fares included a beverage package, gratuities, and internet access.  There were always some fares that excluded AI, such as last minute discount fares.  Earlier this year, they dropped AI for all cabins except for suites and Aqua class.  They still offer AI as an add on on all other cabin categories.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1