Swamped by Viking brochures?

Cienfuegos

Viking seems to be in overdrive for sending out brochures, booklets, postcards, etc for their river and ocean cruises.  Yesterday we received five separate pieces of mail from them, none were duplicates.  All to the same address and person (me).

I've called Viking twice, asking them to throttle back the volume of stuff, the same stuff,  they send week after week. It can't be an inexpensive investment for them to print and send glossy materials.  If it was new cruises, added river adventures, etc that would be one thing. But this is the same stuff...

[/end of rant]

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

e mail links are handy but glossy "dream books" capture people and hold them.

I paged through my river cruise book and noted the nice SE Asia tour.  It then went in to the recycle bin.

I face the same mail volume from my Medicare Advantage provider.  Statements every months in multiple forms about how I have used my benefits.  I dont need this stuff, particularly the notification that I did not use any benefits .  (rollyeyes)

• Like 1

Direct mail works.

We moved and then noted that "another company" was sending the past owners of our home brochures.  (Primarily a land based tour operator)

So many came, we started to take note and look at them, and we have now booked our first tour.

Viking have a marketing budget.  They spend it where it works and I am certain that there are discount codes and things that they track.  They know where they send this "junk mail" and no company the size of Viking spends money without some justification that there is a return.

• Like 1

Good points, but I'm still scratching my head about the same brochure showing up twice in one week, then again the next week, etc. Would I suddenly decide that the Mosel trip which didn't interest me last week is now the object of my desire?

I knew we got a lot of this stuff, but my wife and I stopped mail while we were away for a week.  Our letter carrier delivered a small tote container of stuff when we returned.  Much of it from Viking, Oceania, and Talbot's

3 hours ago, MikeyB said:

For those receiving Viking brochures with promo codes-

What are your reasons for not posting the codes for others?

I hadn't given that the slightest consideration, but it's not a bad idea.  I wonder if Cruise Critic would agree to pin a thread with codes at the top of the forum?

23 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

I hadn't given that the slightest consideration, but it's not a bad idea.  I wonder if Cruise Critic would agree to pin a thread with codes at the top of the forum?

How about making people work for it by going to the thread already dedicated to that purpose? 

• Like 2