Report on Scenic 14 day Zurich to Amsterdam Cruise May 2023

dcl999

Last month we were on the 14 day scenic Zurich to Amsterdam. Overall it was a great cruise.
Email documents can about a month before cruise. Nothing came by mail. Staff was all very friendly. They seemed a little short staffed and staff worked very hard. Captain was very happy to talk about himself and invited us to the wheelhouse for a tour and explanation of ship operations. Bartender Monica made great drinks and was good at suggestions once she knew your preferences. 

We used the ship board credit to buy earrings and a stuffed rabbit. Talked to others who used it for laundry or a massage. Much better than heavy backpack or messenger bag they used to send out. 

Food and drink were all good. Some food combinations were unusual. 
Only had one shore excursion guide that was poor. The day spent cruising on the Mosel was boring. There were no daytime activities available. Trip to the formula 1 racetrack and the delta storm barriers were a great change from the usual castle, town or winery visit. Not much available for those with mobility issues although there was sometimes extra transportation available. We climbed a lot of stairs and walks were not short. It was nice to be able to easily change shore excursions after the port talks. 
Huge complaint about electronics for tours. The guides connected through an UNSECURED local WiFi on your smartphone. They did have a limited number of phones to borrow. If you stood too close to the guide you get an echo. If you were too far away the signal dropped and often had to manually reconnect. My husband has hearing aids and very much appreciated the system. 
We also had a major complaint about the survey. It was only available online on the ship and only for one day at the end of the cruise. It was poorly designed and took a long time to complete. Many gave up. I managed to get about 3/4 done. Definitely not a pleasant end to a very nice cruise. 
We have gone on several Scenic river cruises and several Viking ones. We prefer Scenic but continue to cruise with Viking depending on itinerary and cost. Scenic is slightly more upscale and we appreciate the fact that it is totally inclusive. There is a choice of included tours and some different destinations for those of us who have traveled for years. Also like that the majority of passengers are usually Australian or British. Regular rooms feel slightly bigger due to “balcony” included in room. Storage is better on Viking. Viking does a much better job with before the cruise logistics (we book our own air so can not comment on the included air) and has the advantage of a large fleet which helps if the river is not navigable at a lock or bridge. The larger fleet is also a drawback when several Viking ships are docked at the same place. Hordes of Viking guests descend upon the popular sites. Viking generally does a good job with their slow walker group. 

Thank you dc1990 very interesting we’re off with Scenic in a few weeks time first time since a year before Covid, we were in the States before everything was closed down. It will be interesting to work with the changes. I know you had problems with Scenics tech challenges they weren’t so bad here. When I booked with Scenic office in the U.K. they explained about the paperless information which has worked very well and in very good time so we’ve had plenty of time to sort a timing issue with the chauffeur company out. I must admit to have had no problem with Scenics slow working groups, I use them for photography ease. We’ve had a few poor tour guides but have just made our feeling known. I’m a little concerned about unsecured Wi-Fi.

thanks for your review.

am doing similar tour with Scenic in September - Amsterdam to Budapest, 14 days.

There are no days just sailing though - which I agree would be boring on a river ship. I'm not someone who likes just sitting and watching  scenery for long, I like to be out doing things or at least things on the ship like a wheelhouse tour.

couple of questions -

1)

does Scenic divide all walking tours into slow and stronger groups. We are fit and happy to do long intensive walking tours

2) did you get one free bag of laundry mid trip and if so, how much could you put in it?

was it easy/ reasonable cost to get more done?

3) did you do the once per trip invitation to exclusive dinner? it sounds all about wine specialty pairing with each course - is it worth is if you dont drink wine (which I dont)  ? is it rude to decline?

I can only address your third question, based on our Scenic Seine cruise in spring of 2022.  I love wine and DW doesn't drink at all.  We both felt that the menu for the special dinner sounded really interesting (in our case it was baguette with boursin cream cheese, smoked river trout mousse with cranberry aspic, onion soup, saffron risotto with smoked duck breast, braised beef cheek with vegetables, and for dessert Paris Brest [a typical type of pâtisserie])  The food was excellent through our cruise, but this menu was a step up even from the usual high standard.  Unfortunately we felt that the chef's reach exceeded his grasp on it.   [You of course will have a different menu cooked by a different chef.]

As suite guests we were also invited to the Table La Rive special dinner, which was far more successful.  (Our menu, which again would be different for you, started with three flavors of tapenade of olives for our rolls.  Next was a mini (ice cream) cone with layers of mashed rutabaga, parsnip and caviar.  There was an herb soup with 2 halves of a quail egg.  We had a fish plate with a small square of tuna and two tiny chunks of salmon.  Then green apple sorbet atop popcorn for a palate cleanser.  The main course was excellent—perfectly tender and delicious short ribs.  Dessert was a delicately lime flavored mousse igloo.  Lots of courses, but the small portions made it manageable)  This time the chef was fully up the job and – here's the important part for you – DW enjoyed with it without the paired wines just as much as I did with them.

For more information, here is my blog of that cruise:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2875979-review-of-normandy-gems-of-the-seine-cruise-on-scenic-gem-from-april-25–may-5-2022/

Jazz is right we have traveled with Scenic pre the special meals and the introduction of them has been a real success. Table de Rive is worth it for the interest and a good place to natter about the trip. Portabellos is certainly worth it try teaming up with another couple. I’ve brought home recipes from both experiences with notes from the chef personally on two occasions, just because they highlight the wine it’s the food that they hope is the star.

I haven’t been on a cruise since covid but why not talk to the Cruise Director and let him, or her know you like a real exercise they will point you in the right direction that’s what they’re there for. Yes there tours were split into at least three sections in the past I usually take the slow for photographic purposes, once we even had ‘gentle’ and ‘photo’.

The wash bag is supposed to be 1kg (2.2lb) I’m pretty sure they don’t weigh them and you can squeeze in more, depending on your deck you could get two items pressed daily, although laundry is not extortionate but is quick and efficient.

Its certainly not rude to decline, it’s your holiday but why not go it’s another experience go for it and really enjoy it’s a super cruise.

yes  I  guess  I am just being silly and  I do enjoy trying different foods - I just imagine everyone else being wine connossiouers and wine snobs and me drinking something mundane and tacky like diet coke 🤪

• Thanks 1

No be yourself there is no way I’m a wine connoisseur although I like wine but for some obscure reason cannot tolerate Merlot. How about a discussion on Coca Cola v Pepsi, sugar free or full fat, to my mind (however small) an equally interesting subject. Wine is very subjective as in I like what I like and there are some I really dislike as in very dry yes sweet ohhhh no. Turn the tables on the wine snobs ask loads of questions as to why they consider a wine good, superior etc., just carry on until your board with them there are only ten of you so loads more to talk about especially if your from different countries. We had a friend who was the International representative for Taitinger Champagne the most wonderful old world gentleman he knew everything there was to know about fizz nothing at all about other wines and was the first to admit it.

• Like 1

On our river cruise, dear wife drank Diet Coke while someone we often dined with drank Coke Zero.  A discussion ensued about what was the difference, if any.  Waiter overheard us, and offered a taste test!

He brought us a couple of bottles of each, and the 'connoisseurs' had at it------nobody could detect a difference between the two!  I think it has to do with the choice of sweetener used.

Also, after the first night, our waiter, whenever we sat in his section, remembered every one's drink of choice.  The perks of less than 200 passengers, but still amazing.

• Like 3

On 6/8/2023 at 9:00 AM, sharkster77 said:have choice.  The perks of less than 200 passengers, but still amazing.

Sorry still haven’t figured out how to undo a quote. 
There was not always a slow walker group. Sometimes only one group for an excursion. Guide would sometimes give a place to sit and wait for the group or explain an alternate route. Very good the night before talking about activity level. Also program director was very available at other times to talk about concerns. 
Laundry prices were less than prices in nice European hotels. People used their 50 euro credit. Heard second hand that someone was charged for excess weight.  
No problem at all for non alcohol drinkers. 

thanks for replying to my specific questions.

I dont think we get this euro obc from Australia - havent seen anything about it other than on this forum.

PS I do drink some alcohol, just not wine.

Kristelle I’m sure I’ve seen the obc for Australia on the website will troll through and find it. Or have you been offered the choice of luggage etc? as the obc replaces that.

Alcohol don’t worry about the wine just think of your most superb favourite cocktails make a list and work your way through them or likewise with the spirits. It’s not a case of drink till you drop, actually I think I’ve only seen one person over the eight and he just got the most awful case of hiccups. It’s try what you enjoy and maybe have a little experiment.

• Like 1

If you can find any reference to obc for people coming from Australia, I would appreciate it, havent seen it myself

Extra luggage for the ship would be bit pointless as we can only take on the plane what the airline limit is anyway.

Many Australians, including us,  get these river cruises as packages - ie one package price which includes airfare - not sure if that changes one's other extras entitlements

One place it’s mentioned is Scenic Club FAQs it applies to all travelers so you get 50€ per person to use how you want - shop, laundry wellness centre and maybe really high end alcohol, I have yet to discover what that is it’s got to be really good as for example we spent an evening on a Bordeaux cruise with some of your compatriots and Canadians and drunk the boat dry of Laphroaig a very special memorable evening and the crew were amazing.

We get a package as well if we want, we can change air to train (Eurostar) for some cruises and as far as I know there are no differences in offers or entitlements.

On 6/8/2023 at 10:10 AM, Kristelle said:

I just imagine everyone else being wine connossiouers and wine snobs

They certainly weren't on my Scenic cruise in the capital of wine, Bordeaux.

The waiters come around with a bottle of red and a bottle of white and will pour those unless you refuse. So you don't need to look at the wine list. But if you do, there's a description of each wine and if you don't like it, say so and ask for another. It's all paid for, so you may like to taste a range of wines to see what you prefer. 

No worries, it's only a drink and there's a first time for us all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

One place it’s mentioned is Scenic Club FAQs it applies to all travelers so you get 50€ per person to use how you want - shop, laundry wellness centre and maybe really high end alcohol, I have yet to discover what that is it’s got to be really good as for example we spent an evening on a Bordeaux cruise with some of your compatriots and Canadians and drunk the boat dry of Laphroaig a very special memorable evening and the crew were amazing.

We get a package as well if we want, we can change air to train (Eurostar) for some cruises and as far as I know there are no differences in offers or entitlements.

is that from this link: https://www.scenic.com.au/scenic-club/faqs ?

it says "Membership is restricted to those who have previously toured with Scenic." and then talks about 'onward guests' receiving things like the 50 euro OBC

I was taking 'onward guests' to mean people who are on their 2nd or more Scenic cruise - which isnt me, this is my first one.

Maybe somebody else who has recently been on a first cruise with Scenic could verify if this applied to them or not.

On page 10 of all the emailed paperwork you get it states about the 50€ no mention of what level of travel you are. It’s all part of their ‘commitment’ to eco such as single use water bottles, and no backpacks (these used to be provided) this has only been introduced this year. Try double checking with your TA.

The membership has four levels and depends on how many days you’ve toured with Scenic you’ll be a Gold member after your first cruise. I have heard a rumour that they are either doing away with the system or drastically changing it. I strongly suspect it’s all to do with costings.

Edited by Canal archive
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kristelle said:

Maybe somebody else who has recently been on a first cruise with Scenic could verify if this applied to them or not.

I did my first cruise with Scenic in August 2022 and didn't get any OBC but even if I did, I wouldn't know what to spend it on, as there are no optional excursions to buy and drinks are included.

But that was last year and things change; for instance last year we got backpacks and a free chauffeured car to/from airport, but this year first time travellers get neither. 

Edited by pontac

When Scenic first started offering chauffeured cars free up to a set distance, it was a come on/perk to get people to book it grew from there. OBC only started with the river cruises at the start of this season. The OBC can be used in the shop for spa treatments and laundry.

10 hours ago, Canal archive said:

On page 10 of all the emailed paperwork you get it states about the 50€ no mention of what level of travel you are. It’s all part of their ‘commitment’ to eco such as single use water bottles, and no backpacks (these used to be provided) this has only been introduced this year. Try double checking with your TA.

The membership has four levels and depends on how many days you’ve toured with Scenic you’ll be a Gold member after your first cruise. I have heard a rumour that they are either doing away with the system or drastically changing it. I strongly suspect it’s all to do with costings.

when do we get this emailed paperwork?

I agree obc (I would use for additional laundry, maybe souvenirs from gift shop) is more useful than a backpack - I have a good backpack I use for travels already, no point in getting another  one.