Final documents

Tas353

I'm not sure what "final documents" are, but when we took a selfie on the Viking app and uploaded it, we got an email with our boarding passes.  We're almost 4 weeks out from our cruise.  We got our luggage tags a couple of weeks ago in the mail.  Should we be receiving something else?

24 minutes ago, ropomo said:

You should get an email with them about 14 days out, that's what we experienced a couple of weeks ago

24 minutes ago, ropomo said:

You should get an email with them about 14 days out, that's what we experienced a couple of weeks ago

Thanks! That would be tomorrow. 

17 minutes ago, Packman1000 said:

I'm not sure what "final documents" are, but when we took a selfie on the Viking app and uploaded it, we got an email with our boarding passes.  We're almost 4 weeks out from our cruise.  We got our luggage tags a couple of weeks ago in the mail.  Should we be receiving something else?

You will get an email with your booking summary and list of your excursions. 

2 hours ago, Packman1000 said:

Well --- if it was two - three years ago you'd be receiving a nice travel pouch.

1 hour ago, Tas353 said:

You will get an email with your booking summary and list of your excursions. 

Some things you should know about this e-mailing

1. There is nothing contained in the email that you need in order to board the ship. There are no vouchers that you must present in order to board. So, don't panic if they are late or don't arrive. It is annoying but not a fatal error. All you need to board the ship is your passport and a credit card.

2. If you worked with a TA, sometimes the e-docs will go to your TA to be checked over for mistakes/changes and then forwarded to you from the TA. If you have seen them by 10 days out, call your travel agent before you call Viking. Some TAs set it up so that the guest also gets this e-mail.

3. If you don't work with a TA and you haven't received this e-mailing by the 10 day mark, call Viking. If the agent you talk to doesn't know how to send you that e-mail right then and there, politely say thank you, hang up and call again. Rinse, repeat until you get an agent who knows what to do.

4. As Tas353, said the "document" contains a summary of your booking and the list of excursions you booked. Check this information against the "final" guest statement that you received; the one that said you were paid in full and against the list of shorex that you booked.

5. The e-mail also contains some important information that you don't already have.

•  Embarkation location (and this is subject to change)

•  Ship's phone number

•  Ship's e-mail address

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Some things you should know about this e-mailing

1. There is nothing contained in the email that you need in order to board the ship. There are no vouchers that you must present in order to board. So, don't panic if they are late or don't arrive. It is annoying but not a fatal error. All you need to board the ship is your passport and a credit card.

2. If you worked with a TA, sometimes the e-docs will go to your TA to be checked over for mistakes/changes and then forwarded to you from the TA. If you have seen them by 10 days out, call your travel agent before you call Viking. Some TAs set it up so that the guest also gets this e-mail.

3. If you don't work with a TA and you haven't received this e-mailing by the 10 day mark, call Viking. If the agent you talk to doesn't know how to send you that e-mail right then and there, politely say thank you, hang up and call again. Rinse, repeat until you get an agent who knows what to do.

4. As Tas353, said the "document" contains a summary of your booking and the list of excursions you booked. Check this information against the "final" guest statement that you received; the one that said you were paid in full and against the list of shorex that you booked.

5. The e-mail also contains some important information that you don't already have.

•  Embarkation location (and this is subject to change)

•  Ship's phone number

•  Ship's e-mail address

1. There is a barcode with your registration that can quickly identify your record, IF the person doing the check-in chooses to use it. Most just use the docs you present.

2. If we do the comfort check-in, we get the check-in docs back directly. Hard copy bag check tags go to our TA.

13 hours ago, Packman1000 said:

How did you take a selfie on the Viking Voyager app? I downloaded the Viking Voyager app onto my phone but it doesn't really "do" anything but let me explore cruises and show me art. There is no sign in with booking number and no way to take a selfie. 

It's not done with the phone app. You take a photo with your phone or camera. The My Viking Journey website has the check in there and will prompt you to load and resize the photo. If you access the MVJ website from your phone, you will be able to do the check in there and grab the photo from your phone. Otherwise, you will have to transfer the photo to your computer to complete the process.

Also, the Voyager App is pretty useless before the cruise (as you've found). Once you get on board and connect to the ship's network, all the useful features appear when they download the data. You'll be able to see your personal calendar, dailies, restaurant menus, able to make reservations, etc.

2 hours ago, ropomo said:

It's not done with the phone app. You take a photo with your phone or camera. The My Viking Journey website has the check in there and will prompt you to load and resize the photo. If you access the MVJ website from your phone, you will be able to do the check in there and grab the photo from your phone. Otherwise, you will have to transfer the photo to your computer to complete the process.

I have to say that all of the hassle is why I skip comfort check in and let them take whatever photos they need at boarding.  Those who are not tech-comfortable may find it a relief to know that advanced check-in is not a requirement and can be skipped.

1 hour ago, formernuke said:

Also, the Voyager App is pretty useless before the cruise (as you've found). Once you get on board and connect to the ship's network, all the useful features appear when they download the data. You'll be able to see your personal calendar, dailies, restaurant menus, able to make reservations, etc.

The app only works when it is connected to the ship's wifi. So, if you are wandering around port for the day, it is not usable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ropomo said:

Ropomo is correct....It was very simple...snap a pic with your phone and send it to your computer. The entire check in process to check in took minutes, then you can print off your boarding pass. 

Rang Viking today 11 days out (river cruise) and was told by the UK office that it had already  been sent. No idea what happened to it, but perhaps a glitch in the system (?)   She immediately sent it again and we’ve now got and read the final documents.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kcpvwill said:

Rang Viking today 11 days out (river cruise) and was told by the UK office that it had already  been sent. No idea what happened to it, but perhaps a glitch in the system (?)   She immediately sent it again and we’ve now got and read the final documents.  

Many important emails - including one from Viking a few months ago - have wound up in my junk box. Good chance that’s where they first landed.

I have also had emails from Viking go missing (not in the trash). One time I stayed on line with the Viking agent while she mailed it to me. Waited 5 min- no email. Had her do it again and the second one showed up in a minute. Usually no issues getting emails from them, but every once in a while... No explanation, but something to be aware of that can happen. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 12:25 PM, Peregrina651 said:

I have to say that all of the hassle is why I skip comfort check in and let them take whatever photos they need at boarding.  Those who are not tech-comfortable may find it a relief to know that advanced check-in is not a requirement and can be skipped.

We also skipped the comfort check-in and it took at most 5 minutes for the on site check-in including taking the photo.  The only advantage I can see of comfort check-in is that your selfie photo may look better than what the Viking check-in agent takes of you 🤣 

• Like 2