Copenhagen to Copenhagen June 11-25 Sailing The Coast of Norway

SLSD

Here's the menu from the Patio Grill  and the results of our order.  It's the Napa Burger.  A good burger--I've had better, but don't have real complaints about this one. But Mr. SLSD says these Napa Burgers did not have quite the "zing" of Napa Burgers in the past.    Service was absolutely superb at the Patio Grill--in fact, it was the best service in that area we have ever had on a Seabourn cruise.  

As we were leaving the Patio Grill, a waiter (perhaps the manager of the are) told us that they have just unloaded Danish Carlsberg Beer onto the ship.  Mr. SLSD was glad to hear this as he likes it.  

IMG_5299.jpg

IMG_5307.jpg

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, SLSD said:

Hopefully, I'll get my devices working better for me later today so that I can post some photos of food, menus, and such.  I'm not the best when it comes to adapting to Seabourn's wifi and figuring everything out.  I may have to go in for remedial tutoring.  

@SLSD, Seabourn’s IT is not their area of strength!  While most love to board the ship and go to the Colonade for lunch, we prefer to go to the patio bar and meet the bartenders!  Inevitably, we end up being IT support - helping other passengers get their devices connected - great way to meet people.  We had to reconnect our devices multiple times a day.  If you are having issues, try going to the Source and reconnect - it is a pain but usually solves our issues.  Sometimes their satellite signal is just too weak - I’m curious what will happen once you get in the fjords.  Our Panama Canal cruise in Dec 2021, we had no internet for 8 hours or so.

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

Here's the menu from the Patio Grill  and the results of our order.  It's the Napa Burger.  A good burger--I've had better, but don't have real complaints about this one. But Mr. SLSD says these Napa Burgers did not have quite the "zing" of Napa Burgers in the past.    Service was absolutely superb at the Patio Grill--in fact, it was the best service in that area we have ever had on a Seabourn cruise.  

As we were leaving the Patio Grill, a waiter (perhaps the manager of the are) told us that they have just unloaded Danish Carlsberg Beer onto the ship.  Mr. SLSD was glad to hear this as he likes it.  

IMG_5299.jpg

IMG_5307.jpg

Enjoying your reports!  Thanks for sharing your experiences, and for posting the Patio Grill menu.

We missed out on the Yountwurst dog recently on Odyssey...  it was not available.  This was our first Seabourn cruise and I was on a mission to try all things Thomas Keller.  Maybe next time!

Edited by RJ2002

1 hour ago, LMB01 said:

@SLSD, Seabourn’s IT is not their area of strength!  While most love to board the ship and go to the Colonade for lunch, we prefer to go to the patio bar and meet the bartenders!  Inevitably, we end up being IT support - helping other passengers get their devices connected - great way to meet people.  We had to reconnect our devices multiple times a day.  If you are having issues, try going to the Source and reconnect - it is a pain but usually solves our issues.  Sometimes their satellite signal is just too weak - I’m curious what will happen once you get in the fjords.  Our Panama Canal cruise in Dec 2021, we had no internet for 8 hours or so.

We decided to upgrade to the premium Wifi.  It has solved most of my issues so far.  I use two devices and got tired of logging on and off.  It's a small price to pay to alleviate my frustration.  Mr SLSD agrees.  Now, it's more like using my devices at home.  I'm sure others wouldn't need the premium package, but I've always been challenged by my iphone. I'm an Iphone klutz and prefer my laptop, but need to use the Iphone for Source--especially around the ship.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, SLSD said:

We decided to upgrade to the premium Wifi.  It has solved most of my issues so far.  I use two devices and got tired of logging on and off.  It's a small price to pay to alleviate my frustration.  Mr SLSD agrees.  Now, it's more like using my devices at home.  I'm sure others wouldn't need the premium package, but I've always been challenged by my iphone. I'm an Iphone klutz and prefer my laptop, but need to use the Iphone for Source--especially around the ship.  

Agree it is worth it

Fortunately, we get included in our suite category

do you use an Apple laptop?

• Like 1

I have some breaking news.  There is a DOG on this cruise.  Imagine my surprise about five minutes ago when a little poodle type dog came scampering into the Observation Bar where we are enjoying a leisurely tea time.  There are three people who may be part of a family--none of them especially elderly or infirm.  Of course we don't know about disabilities.  I don't want to start an argument here--because I love dogs and service dogs--but I've never seen a service dog of this type.  Of course it COULD be.  I know we have discussed this ad nauseam previously.  I don't THINK the dog has on a special vest signifying that he is a service dog, but I can't tell for sure because the dog is now under the table next to us--about six feet from where I am sitting.  The people who own him are either from Spain or Mexico.   Add to this, they had saved their table with a jacket draped over a chair for a full 45 minutes when other people were looking for chairs to enjoy tea.  (Some other passengers sitting nearby were very annoyed by the saving of a tea table with a jacket and talked about removing the jacket.)  Shades of the pool lounge savers with a dog in the mix.  The hand you see on the right of the photo is my husband's hand.  We are that close to the dog. 

Hmm.. I think they may be slipping the dog some of the tidbits from tea under the table.  

I even managed to get a photo.  

IMG_5320.jpg

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just incredible, regarding the dog and the humans!

In regards to the premium Wi-Fi…for the most part, it worked very well for us on our Norway cruise last summer and the 2 cruises we took in Oct 22 and the crossing 2 months ago.  The first time we cruised Norway, 2008,  on a different lux line, we were without internet for almost a week.  We went to “Internet cafes” in Bergen, trondheim, Alesund and Honnigsvag to check our emails.  Boy have times changed.  On the recent crossing, somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean, my husband was able to attend a board meeting via zoom and never lost the connection,

Keep on enjoying,  thanks for your posts. I know more about your day than I do mine! 😄☺️

Nancy

• Haha 1

We’re on Sojourn currently and have been using the included wifi with 4 devices connected at the same time and fortunately we’ve had wonderful connectivity over the last 15 days

• Like 1

@SLSD at least the dog is on the floor - the one on the Encore used to sit on the chairs (it was small and white too 😜). 

It's one thing if someone is sat at the table waiting for others to join them and quite another to save a table with a jacket.

Oh dear, are we in for another long long thread about dogs - I hope not; it has already been done to death and it would be a shame to spoil the interesting stuff about the cruise coming up.  Most of us have pretty firm opinions, but have already said what they are.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

@SLSD at least the dog is on the floor - the one on the Encore used to sit on the chairs (it was small and white too 😜). 

It's one thing if someone is sat at the table waiting for others to join them and quite another to save a table with a jacket.

And later, one of them was feeding the dog under the table.

Edited by SLSD

10 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Oh dear, are we in for another long long thread about dogs - I hope not; it has already been done to death and it would be a shame to spoil the interesting stuff about the cruise coming up.  Most of us have pretty firm opinions, but have already said what they are.

I agree.  But I could not resist reporting and posting the photo.  I was so surprised.  

• Like 3

@lincslady - for me it's the lack of manners and consideration for others regarding (yes bringing a dog into a dining venue) but actually, saving a table for 45 minutes with a jacket whilst others look for somewhere to sit and eat.

I agree re the other thread which was closed down by Dan in the end. I do believe that a lady reporting on another social media site is not letting this go and is insisting Seabourn investigate 😁

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

Add to this, they had saved their table with a jacket draped over a chair for a full 45 minutes when other people were looking for chairs to enjoy tea.

That jacket would have been in the lost and found after ~ 20 minutes if I would have been there. I'm surprised the staff didn't take notice and remove it themselves.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, LMB01 said:

No Internet for eight hours.

What did you do without being able to use a device.😁

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, SLSD said:

For the record, we have liked ALL the Cruise Directors (now Entertainment Directors) we have had in the past.  

Just curious, it certainly is of no real import, but could you ask around and find out the stated reason/rationale behind the change from Cruise Director to Entertainment Director, etc. 
Seems like such a useless waste of time and energy for any company to make a meaningless change like this. I am assuming the responsibilities are the same.
If true, there must be better things the staff at corporate could be doing, like figuring out how to improve the customer experience, even in some small way. 
Enjoy the cruise!

2 hours ago, labonnevie said:

Just curious, it certainly is of no real import, but could you ask around and find out the stated reason/rationale behind the change from Cruise Director to Entertainment Director, etc. 
Seems like such a useless waste of time and energy for any company to make a meaningless change like this. I am assuming the responsibilities are the same.
If true, there must be better things the staff at corporate could be doing, like figuring out how to improve the customer experience, even in some small way. 
Enjoy the cruise!

Personally I’m inclined to agree, but I happened into a conversation including Loula’s assistant yesterday where this vary comment was made, she replied (perhaps towing the company line) that the change actually better described the nature of their duties and how their talents are utilized.

By the way, Melissa is a very charming a young lady from middle America she bubbles with enthusiasm.  A treasure.

3 hours ago, labonnevie said:

Enjoy the cruise!

I will say that customer service has been exemplary so far on our voyage.  All the crew seem to be onboard to give the best service possible.  In fact, it is the best service we've received so far on a SB cruise.  Loula, the "Entertainment Director" made light of the new title as if it was a bit silly.  If I get a good opportunity, I will ask why the change was made, but I'm sure I'll get the same answer jondfk was given.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 3

I've had a chance by now to sample the Seabourn water kept in large clear plastic bottles with screw on caps in suite.  It is Ok.  It does not taste brackish or anything like that.  Mr. SLSD says it is not the best water he has tasted.  I don't have a complaint.  We did ask for some bottled still water and two large bottles of Acqua Panna were delivered as well as two large bottles of Perrier.  We did bring on the ship one small bottle of water from our hotel room in Copenhagen--and we will be holding onto that bottle.  I don't know if the large plastic bottles we have in our suite as the kind taken on shore for excursions.  I guess we 'll find that out this morning when we disembark in Alesund.  

Last night was formal night and we dined in The Restaurant.  We dined fairly early and the dining room filled quickly.  Toward the end of our meal, it looked like every single table was occupied and as we left there were about four couples standing in line at the back of The Restaurant waiting for tables.  This was about 8pm or perhaps a bit later than that.  I had the lobster dish and Mr. SLSD had sea bass. My lobster was not rubbery as it has been on some previous SB cruises.  We both enjoyed our meals.  My appetizer was a twice baked goat cheese souffle  and it was quite good.  I could only eat half as it was quite rich.  Afterwards, we went to the musical entertainment in the Grand Salon.  It was a Tim Rice show--"The Circle of My Life".  We had not seen this particular Tim Rice show and it was well done.  After the show, we went to the Observation Bar.  There were plenty of empty spots at the bar, but we sat at a table looking out at the night sky--of course it was almost totally light outdoors even though it was 10pm.  There were not that many passengers in the Obs Bar at that hour.  The shows were at 9pm and I believe 10:30pm last night.  Loula said tonight's  early show will be at 8:30pm.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I've had a chance by now to sample the Seabourn water kept in large clear plastic bottles with screw on caps in suite.  It is Ok.  It does not taste brackish or anything like that.  Mr. SLSD says it is not the best water he has tasted.  I don't have a complaint.  We did ask for some bottled still water and two large bottles of Acqua Panna were delivered as well as two large bottles of Perrier.  We did bring on the ship one small bottle of water from our hotel room in Copenhagen--and we will be holding onto that bottle.  I don't know if the large plastic bottles we have in our suite as the kind taken on shore for excursions.  I guess we 'll find that out this morning when we disembark in Alesund.  

Thanks for these comments! 
I’ll be interested in what they provide for you to take along on shore excursions. 

4 hours ago, JSC77 said:

Thanks for these comments! 
I’ll be interested in what they provide for you to take along on shore excursions. 

They provide the same bottles but smaller

they leak and break easily

• Like 1

Ovation is going to be in the port of Alesund until after 10pm this evening.  We are back at the ship after taking a guided excursion through this lovely town this morning.  I'll say more about Alesund later.  We came back to the ship to regroup and have lunch, but are headed back into Alesund shortly.  

We had lunch in The Restaurant today and it was very good.   We were eating light--I had shrimp cocktail and tomato soup and Mr. SLSD had smoked haddock/potato soup.  I'll post the lunch menu later.  The Restaurant Director (W. Oban) is very friendly and remembers our name--which is a nice touch.  We learned today that The Restaurant served 360+ passengers last night at dinner and the Restaurant Director thought that all went well.  He was not so happy about how breakfast in  The Restaurant went this morning.  He said that 17 tables showed up at once when breakfast opened.  He was disappointed that some had to wait 25 minutes for their food as the kitchen was not keeping up.  I think they didn't expect that many for breakfast--but the ship did not dock until 9am--and everyone had time for a leisurely breakfast.  The Restaurant Director said that they are going to kill it tomorrow.  It's really nice that they recognize that they didn't get the job done as well as they would like--but have set a goal to do it tomorrow. 

That's all for now--as we are headed back into Alesund to explore a bit more.  There are several places we want to go.  

• Like 3