Is it time to exit the "X"?

kiterp

On 6/15/2023 at 2:16 PM, mahdnc said:

Our cabins have always been right above it, so I get to salivate from up there!

image.thumb.jpeg.321ed039b81f2e8072569fc1baff6ca8.jpeg

We had a PH in May and it was so amazing. At the price is was sadly a one and done for us but at least I can say we did it and it was great.

Laura

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, creativewanderers said:

I definitely do not consider celebrity as a luxury cruise line anymore. The ghastly techno rap that blasted around the ship every day was horrible. 

Agree................

La Petit Chef was ruined by the blasting music from the Martini lounge...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, creativewanderers said:

I definitely do not consider celebrity as a luxury cruise line anymore. The ghastly techno rap that blasted around the ship every day was horrible. 

Really? Hope it’s not like that when we sail in September, doubt it will be. What is techno rap by the way? And is unghastly techno rap better than ghastly? Could you hear it in your cabin?

7 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Agree................

La Petit Chef was ruined by the blasting music from the Martini lounge...

Techno rap, ruined many a cruise whatever it is 🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

We had a PH in May and it was so amazing. At the price is was sadly a one and done for us but at least I can say we did it and it was great.

Laura

Nice.  Did you notice the people like me looking down at you from above so enviously?

It seems that more people like the Penthouse Suites on the Millennium class ships better than Solstice class.

3 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

Laura

It is not a luxury cruise line and never has been. Really not even a premium line.  It is an adult focused mass market line competing with Princess and HAL. It does have a class system that is a bit more upscale in the appropriate cabin classes, but still in the mass market range.

To get to premium you need to go to Oceana or Viking or equivalent. To go to Luxury you are talking about Regent or Seabourn or equivalent.

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

It is not a luxury cruise line and never has been. Really not even a premium line.  It is an adult focused mass market line competing with Princess and HAL. It does have a class system that is a bit more upscale in the appropriate cabin classes, but still in the mass market range.

To get to premium you need to go to Oceana or Viking or equivalent. To go to Luxury you are talking about Regent or Seabourn or equivalent.

What ships do you sail on and whats your favorite cruise line?

On 6/12/2023 at 7:21 AM, karmamule said:

Their parent company RCL must really love them because they're bringing IV-style rooms to their new pride and joy, the Icon of the Seas.

My understanding is that there is substantially less drag and fuel savings with the IVs.  That is why the cruise lines are big on them. Definitely not for us unless we are in a cold weather climate.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

My understanding is that there is substantially less drag and fuel savings with the IVs.  That is why the cruise lines are big on them. Definitely not for us unless we are in a cold weather climate.

On board at Q&A sessions they claim it's 20% and who knows, perhaps they're including the slight energy savings of having the A/C off.  With the RCI ships, you at least have a choice traditional balconies...On X, your choices are an IV, a dark porthole with a shallow balcony or an expensive SV

38 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

That is the real purpose of the IVs. But so many people believe the hype that it’s a cruise enhancement. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Nice.  Did you notice the people like me looking down at you from above so enviously?

It seems that more people like the Penthouse Suites on the Millennium class ships better than Solstice class.

We have been lucky enough to cruise both. Two very different experiences.

The S class PH is a decadence of light and space. The balcony is big with sunshine and shade but rather long and thin, not wonderful for entertaining. Views everywhere….If  I was to criticise it…almost too much space….We never understood why they didn’t put a small sauna in the bathroom as there is enough room in there to dance in. In the lounge area now the piano has gone, or is going to go, there is enough space for two sea facing inside lounging chairs but none there. If we were on a cold weather cruise (Alaska or Norway) I would ask the butler to round up a couple of sun beds for inside, there is plenty of space. On S class there are more options of speciality restaurants to enjoy which is a factor…

The M PH feels more opulent. The hallway separating the bedroom from the lounge makes it more suitable for 3/4 guests. The strengths are the bath with a view and the balcony….Simply stunning. The negative is I would not book it for a cold weather cruise. Firstly it is right at the back so you do feel the motion on rougher seas and from the inside of the room your wake view is some distance away, lovely still though, you can’t beat a wake view. Obviously less dining options but when I return to the M PH next year I can see us enjoying several meals on the balcony…

To answer your question we did notice some people looking down on us. We invited two of them for a look around and a drink on the balcony one evening…

11 hours ago, chemmo said:

We have been lucky enough to cruise both. Two very different experiences.

The S class PH is a decadence of light and space. The balcony is big with sunshine and shade but rather long and thin, not wonderful for entertaining. Views everywhere….If  I was to criticise it…almost too much space….We never understood why they didn’t put a small sauna in the bathroom as there is enough room in there to dance in. In the lounge area now the piano has gone, or is going to go, there is enough space for two sea facing inside lounging chairs but none there. If we were on a cold weather cruise (Alaska or Norway) I would ask the butler to round up a couple of sun beds for inside, there is plenty of space. On S class there are more options of speciality restaurants to enjoy which is a factor…

The M PH feels more opulent. The hallway separating the bedroom from the lounge makes it more suitable for 3/4 guests. The strengths are the bath with a view and the balcony….Simply stunning. The negative is I would not book it for a cold weather cruise. Firstly it is right at the back so you do feel the motion on rougher seas and from the inside of the room your wake view is some distance away, lovely still though, you can’t beat a wake view. Obviously less dining options but when I return to the M PH next year I can see us enjoying several meals on the balcony…

To answer your question we did notice some people looking down on us. We invited two of them for a look around and a drink on the balcony one evening…

Are you saying you would book a S Class PH for a cold weather cruise, but not the M PH?  Why?  Just curious.

In a crazy moment I decide that I just had to try the Summit’s PH, so we are booked  Iceland to Boston in mid August.  Any tips about the PH?

Thanks

Edited by jagoffee

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

Are you saying you would book a S Class PH for a cold weather cruise, but not the M PH?  Why?  Just curious.

In a crazy moment I decide that I just had to try the Summit’s PH, so we are booked  Iceland to Boston in mid August.  Any tips about the PH?

Thanks

Hi there,

Please note this is my reasoning and others may feel different…

Firstly the S PH is mid ship so less likely to be uncomfortable in bad weather. I am motion sensitive and didn’t struggle at all in the RS (next to PH) on an S class TP cruise despite high waves. We were at the edge of a storm in the Millie PH in the Caribbean and I definitely needed some meds…

On the S class, with the balcony only being a few feet wide and the windows being enormous mean you are close to the sea and can easily look out. In bad weather you can huddle in the covered area outside the bedroom with blankets unless the wind is driving. Alternatively you can sit inside and enjoy the great big window views.

The PH balcony on M class does have a covered section (outside bedroom) so it is possible to sit out with blankets under cover even if the weather is a bit inclement. However, if it is bad enough for you to need to stay indoors you have the full length of the deck before the wake. It still is a good view but you do feel more distant.

We do have a real soft spot for the M PH, we have booked the Infinity for next year (Best of Greece). I guess what I am trying to say they are both beautiful but different. If you have a cruise with iffy weather you do miss the crowning glory of the M PH…A magnificent enormous balcony to enjoy the sun on, to dine on, to watch the world go by, to watch the stars on late at night…I honestly don’t know enough about your cruise and weather in August to advise, hopefully someone else can. Nor do I know if these things are important to you.

We have cruised in the Summit PH but pre revolution so I can’t really comment on the room now.

Re tips on the PH. The phrase I tend to always keep using is talk to the butler and let him/her know exactly what you want. For example, we are intending to dine in the suite more on our Infinity cruise (owing to limited choice of specialty restaurants) and we will, in advance (to give the butler chance to organise) be clear about what we want. For example, one evening we may ask for an Indian selection to be served family style. I will be happy for this to be from the buffet selection, I will just want to eat it on my balcony or in my suite rather than in the buffet. With the much bigger and more efficient fridge in the butlers pantry it is also possible to ask for better stocking.

If your weather is likely to be challenging then plan for it so you can still enjoy that wonderful space! As always, layers being the key. If you have calm seas the views over the wake are fantastic!

I hope this all makes sense…Sincere best wishes for a wonderful cruise!

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Hi there,

Please note this is my reasoning and others may feel different…

Firstly the S PH is mid ship so less likely to be uncomfortable in bad weather. I am motion sensitive and didn’t struggle at all in the RS (next to PH) on an S class TP cruise despite high waves. We were at the edge of a storm in the Millie PH in the Caribbean and I definitely needed some meds…

On the S class, with the balcony only being a few feet wide and the windows being enormous mean you are close to the sea and can easily look out. In bad weather you can huddle in the covered area outside the bedroom with blankets unless the wind is driving. Alternatively you can sit inside and enjoy the great big window views.

The PH balcony on M class does have a covered section (outside bedroom) so it is possible to sit out with blankets under cover even if the weather is a bit inclement. However, if it is bad enough for you to need to stay indoors you have the full length of the deck before the wake. It still is a good view but you do feel more distant.

We do have a real soft spot for the M PH, we have booked the Infinity for next year (Best of Greece). I guess what I am trying to say they are both beautiful but different. If you have a cruise with iffy weather you do miss the crowning glory of the M PH…A magnificent enormous balcony to enjoy the sun on, to dine on, to watch the world go by, to watch the stars on late at night…I honestly don’t know enough about your cruise and weather in August to advise, hopefully someone else can. Nor do I know if these things are important to you.

We have cruised in the Summit PH but pre revolution so I can’t really comment on the room now.

Re tips on the PH. The phrase I tend to always keep using is talk to the butler and let him/her know exactly what you want. For example, we are intending to dine in the suite more on our Infinity cruise (owing to limited choice of specialty restaurants) and we will, in advance (to give the butler chance to organise) be clear about what we want. For example, one evening we may ask for an Indian selection to be served family style. I will be happy for this to be from the buffet selection, I will just want to eat it on my balcony or in my suite rather than in the buffet. With the much bigger and more efficient fridge in the butlers pantry it is also possible to ask for better stocking.

If your weather is likely to be challenging then plan for it so you can still enjoy that wonderful space! As always, layers being the key. If you have calm seas the views over the wake are fantastic!

I hope this all makes sense…Sincere best wishes for a wonderful cruise!

Yes, it all does make sense.  I appreciate the detailed explanation.  I will make a point of dining in the suite for dinner at least once, depending on the weather.  We are cruising with friends who are in a R.S.  There first Ocean cruise.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

In a crazy moment I decide that I just had to try the Summit’s PH, so we are booked  Iceland to Boston in mid August.

Fantastic itinerary and amazing cabin - you'll LOVE it!  There's one chair in the living room that's weird, looks like an egg and it spins all the time, but otherwise, it's awesome.  

• Like 1

On 6/18/2023 at 1:53 PM, creativewanderers said:

What Ship was That?

I've never experienced That but maybe because I avoid the Edge class ships.

10 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Yes, it all does make sense.  I appreciate the detailed explanation.  I will make a point of dining in the suite for dinner at least once, depending on the weather.  We are cruising with friends who are in a R.S.  There first Ocean cruise.

Thank you.

I am sure you will have a fantastic time! Dining with friends in your suite or on your deck will be fantastic.

One final comment. The M class is made for entertaining. Sailing away from any port  is simply wonderful on that deck….

8 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Fantastic itinerary and amazing cabin - you'll LOVE it!  There's one chair in the living room that's weird, looks like an egg and it spins all the time, but otherwise, it's awesome.  

Sounds like your itinerary is fantastic too!

• Like 1

On 6/18/2023 at 8:07 PM, 81Zoomie said:

That's just a sales gimmick.  I'm sure it's less drag, but I doubt it's very significant.  If it were really that important and the IV concept was that great, can someone tell me why they didn't put them on the suite cabins?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

That's just a sales gimmick.  I'm sure it's less drag, but I doubt it's very significant.  If it were really that important and the IV concept was that great, can someone tell me why they didn't put them on the suite cabins?

People in suites pay much more.  And are less likely to believe that doing away with verandas in favor of windows is a cruise enhancement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Because for the price that suite cruisers are paying they do not want a downgraded IV cabin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Because for the price that suite cruisers are paying they do not want a downgraded IV cabin.

I would think this is a lesson they learned a long time ago with M-class Celebrity Suites.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

It IS on the Edge class ships.

Not surprising and another reason I enjoy the M & S class ships.

My DW and I will be on Beyond in Jan. 2024 because we always do X cruses in January in  the Caribbean for the weather.

She wants to try Beyond and I will approach it with an open mind but the IV cabin will never take the place of a Real Veranda.

• Like 1