What is your experience using one dining credit for two people in Food Republic since 5/1/23

Katie H

We cruised on Joy embarking May 1.  Later in the cruise, when we went to Food Republic and tried to use one dining credit for two people, we were told that wasn't allowed any longer effective May 1.  Usually we would order 4 items off one dining credit and that would be more than enough food for both of us.  Then we were able to repeat at a later date or take along another couple and treat them with one of our credits.  I expected to see comments here about this new policy, but nothing.  So I am wondering if it is being enforced.  Has anyone shared one dining credit at Food Republic recently? 

• Thanks 1

Probably just some one being picky the voucher is good for 4 items why does it matter how many eat.

What would they do if you turn up solo order 4 items then have a person turn as the food arrives?

Not done it recently  but the big  time I did  it was 9 sea days and only I took extra diners to have lunches to make sure ai tried loads.  for no problem with OH turning up sharing and if needed we would add a paid item.

same on our getaway late 2021 end early 2022  where we shared 4 items at the raw bar.

12 minutes ago, Katie H said:

We cruised on Joy embarking May 1.  Later in the cruise, when we went to Food Republic and tried to use one dining credit for two people, we were told that wasn't allowed any longer effective May 1.  Usually we would order 4 items off one dining credit and that would be more than enough food for both of us.  Then we were able to repeat at a later date or take along another couple and treat them with one of our credits.  I expected to see comments here about this new policy, but nothing.  So I am wondering if it is being enforced.  Has anyone shared one dining credit at Food Republic recently? 

I did it on Joy last summer and planned to do it again in July on Joy. 

I planned on using 1 credit to share at food republic and another to share st Q. 

I hope this hasn't changed. 

FAS Specialty Dining stipulate each dining credit is good for 2 people who are dining with each other at the same time.  So, if 2 are dining (regardless of what Specialty Dining venue) that would be one of the credits.  If 1 is dining on a credit, you have used up the entire credit. You can't order one dinner and claim you only used ½ the credit.  Once it's used, it's used, no matter if one or two dine on the credit.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

FAS Specialty Dining stipulate each dining credit is good for 2 people who are dining with each other at the same time.  So, if 2 are dining (regardless of what Specialty Dining venue) that would be one of the credits.  If 1 is dining on a credit, you have used up the entire credit. You can't order one dinner and claim you only used ½ the credit.  Once it's used, it's used, no matter if one or two dine on the credit.

FAS dining credits are not for two people.  Guest 1 and 2 both get dining credits as part of FAS, but they each has to use a credit if they both order.  For example, if two people went to Cagney's, you can't order two steaks and just use one credit.  The platinum dinners are for two people each.  In the case of Food replublic, you'd get 8 items using a platinum credit

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have one simple answer for you!!! Yes you’ve found the secret!!! Haha. Now I used to eat alot. My wife and I would go, use one credit each and have enough food sent back to the room (Haven so they took it back for us other wise I don’t think you can take it??? Dunno tbh) for the next three days. 

Anyway yeah. Share. They wont say anything. 

4 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

I have one simple answer for you!!! Yes you’ve found the secret!!! Haha. Now I used to eat alot. My wife and I would go, use one credit each and have enough food sent back to the room (Haven so they took it back for us other wise I don’t think you can take it??? Dunno tbh) for the next three days. 

Anyway yeah. Share. They wont say anything. 

but were you ordering 8 items (4 each credit)?  I believe OP is looking to order just 4 items (one credit) and share with the two of them

We did this on the Joy in March.  We actually planned on using two credits, but as fate would have it, we only at four dishes.  The service was slow and by the time we would have considered additional plates, we needed to leave for a show.  As such, we simply cashed out and used only one dining credit.

The next evening we went to Q smokehouse and did the same thing.  From past experiences at Q, we knew one dining package was more than enough food for the two of us.  We only used one dinning credit and shared the food we ordered.  

If this has been changed, that will be a frustrating experience and frankly cause us to call the manager to complain on the spot...There is no reason to MAKE people use that package at food republic...It's not the same as taking a seat at Teppanyaki (which I recall caused a big CC todo several months ago)

Edited by JandC_Cruising
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I can't find this info in the T&Cs, but I am assuming you are correct.  Then that would make sense why we cannot use half a credit now and the other half later.  This may be a change, because in the past when we used a dining credit (both ordering meals), we each had to  present our card and each got a zero balance check to sign.  On the recent cruise, the waiters said they only needed one card and presented one check.

On our next cruise, we will be traveling with another couple.  We hope to go to Food Republic and redeem our meals while the other couple does not order food - just drinks.  Then four of us will share the 8 items.  We have done this in the past.  Do you think that would still be allowed with the wording you say is in the T&Cs?

15 minutes ago, Katie H said:

I can't find this info in the T&Cs, but I am assuming you are correct.  Then that would make sense why we cannot use half a credit now and the other half later.  This may be a change, because in the past when we used a dining credit (both ordering meals), we each had to  present our card and each got a zero balance check to sign.  On the recent cruise, the waiters said they only needed one card and presented one check.

On our next cruise, we will be traveling with another couple.  We hope to go to Food Republic and redeem our meals while the other couple does not order food - just drinks.  Then four of us will share the 8 items.  We have done this in the past.  Do you think that would still be allowed with the wording you say is in the T&Cs?

"An SDP meal in a la carte restaurants includes 1 appetizer, 1 soup or salad, 1 main course and 1 dessert (does not apply to cover charge restaurants or Food Republic, Pincho Tapas Bar and Sushi, where a meal includes any 4 menu items). No sharing or to go orders permitted. SDP does not include beverages and additional and/or premium menu items will incur charges. A 20% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. No SDP kids pricing available. We encourage guests to visit ncl.com/myncl to make dining reservations in advance. Reservations are not required but highly recommended, once onboard, reservations will be subject to availability. SDP meals can be enjoyed at American Diner, Cagney’s Steakhouse, Food Republic, Italian, Le Bistro, Los Lobos, Moderno Churrascaria, Pincho Tapas Bar, Q Texas Smokehouse, Raw Bar, Seafood, Sushi and Teppanyaki."  Found at: https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

"An SDP meal in a la carte restaurants includes 1 appetizer, 1 soup or salad, 1 main course and 1 dessert (does not apply to cover charge restaurants or Food Republic, Pincho Tapas Bar and Sushi, where a meal includes any 4 menu items). No sharing or to go orders permitted. SDP does not include beverages and additional and/or premium menu items will incur charges. A 20% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. No SDP kids pricing available. We encourage guests to visit ncl.com/myncl to make dining reservations in advance. Reservations are not required but highly recommended, once onboard, reservations will be subject to availability. SDP meals can be enjoyed at American Diner, Cagney’s Steakhouse, Food Republic, Italian, Le Bistro, Los Lobos, Moderno Churrascaria, Pincho Tapas Bar, Q Texas Smokehouse, Raw Bar, Seafood, Sushi and Teppanyaki."  Found at: https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

Thanks.  I did search all over NCL site for this and was unable to find it.  If that same wording has always been there, then the rule has not been followed.  I learned about sharing the 4 items between two people or 8 items between four people from reading posts on these boards from many people who have done that.  And we did it ourselves (8 items - 4 people) on two previous occasions.  Maybe enforcement of the rule is inconsistent or maybe it is a new rule.   

4 minutes ago, Katie H said:

Thanks.  I did search all over NCL site for this and was unable to find it.  If that same wording has always been there, then the rule has not been followed.  I learned about sharing the 4 items between two people or 8 items between four people from reading posts on these boards from many people who have done that.  And we did it ourselves (8 items - 4 people) on two previous occasions.  Maybe enforcement of the rule is inconsistent or maybe it is a new rule.   

I believe to rule, and wording, are rather new, with "enforcement" being more likely since May.

Wishing you luck!

• Like 1

One time we shared 4 items and were charged 1 credit, then another lunch on the same trip we shared 4 items and were charged 2 credits.  It really didn’t matter to us, we had too many credits that trip anyway.  This was in January of this year.

4 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

I believe to rule, and wording, are rather new, with "enforcement" being more likely since May.

Wishing you luck!

Looking at old posts that quoted the FAQ, the "No sharing or to go orders permitted." was somehow squeezed in there between the "... four menu items..." part and the  "...does not include beverages..." part.

I hadn't noticed the change until I saw this thread.

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Katie H said:

I think you have to put a filter through some of the posts here at CC.  Invariably, someone will state they did something we know NCL won’t/wouldn’t do, just to be a contrarian.  

Either way, if your other couple has a dining package, they can certainly join you and pay their own way….or, just dine a la cart.

• Like 1

Do we have any clarification on this.

Last summer I used a single dining credit in my name and shared lunch (4 items) at Food Republic with my adult daughter.

I'm sailing Joy again and planned on getting the extra 2 dining credits that are offered prior to sailing for $82 total.

I wanted to use 1 credit to go to Food Republic with my adult niece and share lunch and I wanted to use the other 1 credit to go to Q the night we arrive in Bermuda and prior to an excursion and share with my wife.

Does anyone know definitively whether this can be done?

If not, I probably won't buy the extra dining credits.

TIA

I guess you could always go with another person and use your dining credit to order 4 items, then have the other person order one item (the cheaper, the better).

Once the food is on the table, no one should care who eats what.  It will cost a little extra, but not as much as an extra meal credit.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, goldmom said:

I guess ... go with another person and use your dining credit to order 4 items ... the other person order one item.  Once the food is on the table, no one should care who eats what.  It will cost a little extra, but not as much as an extra meal credit ...

Why not, there is no minimum or table charge per person anyway.  As I recall, a bowl of the (Vietnamese) style pho (noodles) in broth (soup) was like $16 + 20%, many other items are less - that's for one of the guest in the party.  When food is served, just dive in ... 

This is largely corporate office and senior management constantly flip-flopping on policies, as some of us have seen ... over the past 2 decades, nothing new - nothing changed - nothing different - in the quest for bottomline profits (nothing wrong with that).  The dining venue (asst.) managers and wait staff are caught in the crossfires as usual.  We're on the Joy last year & dine in FR, it was as a matter of fact, the server that nicely said to us, it's plenty of food and to not order more, save it & come back on another day ... we ended up getting some of the sushi rolls and dessert packed to go (they packed it for us, gave us napkins & utensils, covers for the plates, etc. - short of delivering it to our cabin.)  At that time, sharing was not prohibited or restricted (at one time or another, it was done for Haven guests ... talk about double standards, LOL)   

Fast forward to May 2023, playing games with their rules & prohibitions again - it's an ongoing thing with NCL, clarifications of the rules until infinity 😷 😉 😕    Another reason that I carry a pen and a piece of paper while onboard, at times - in consideration for filling out & signing one of the those vacation hero and comments card, and/or writing a note to the "Dear GM" to drop in the box/slot in the lobby at Guest Services.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, goldmom said:

I guess you could always go with another person and use your dining credit to order 4 items, then have the other person order one item (the cheaper, the better).

Once the food is on the table, no one should care who eats what.  It will cost a little extra, but not as much as an extra meal credit.

Enjoy!

This is likely what we will do if told we cannot share our credits.  The other couple can order one item to share and pay for it while we order 8 items.  I really don't think they will police whose mouth the food goes into once it is on the table.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I wonder if a lot of the issues were seeing like this are due to NCL ramping up their hiring of new crew - seems there’s a lot of issues that could be explained by poor management communication and new staff members not understand the rules. 

• Haha 1

I would think sharing at the 4 item restaurants was never the intent but has been allowed and even encouraged at times.  Every ships restaurant manager is in charge of their own budget/expenses so given the climate, I am sure they are under pressure to keep expenses down.  It will probably be a ship to ship decision on the manager if they are going to enforce the sharing rule.  

I'm trying to figure out a way to do the reverse.....I'm traveling solo and want to use my platinum dinner at food republic.  I want to get 8 items though (since the dinner is for 2).  I think I may get someone to check in with me, we order 8 items, then they can excuse themselves to use the restroom.  🙂  I'd then wrap up 4 sushi rolls to go and have as my 3AM drunk meal

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I love Food Republic! Am looking forward to enjoying it again on our September cruises.

• I feel like it is the best kept secret on NCL! We spent 27 days on Escape in the fall last year and went there several times. The first time, we made a reservation the day we got on the ship. They "managed to work us in". When we got there, maybe 3 other tables were being used. After that, we just walked up and always a fairly empty venue. 

I hope we are able to continue using one dining credit for two people since 4 items is plenty. If not, think we will use the approach of one dining credit, and pay for one item off the menu. As stated previously, they can't possibly police who is eating what!

Why does it need to be this hard? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

I'm trying to figure out a way to do the reverse.....I'm traveling solo and want to use my platinum dinner at food republic.  I want to get 8 items though (since the dinner is for 2).  I think I may get someone to check in with me, we order 8 items, then they can excuse themselves to use the restroom.  🙂  I'd then wrap up 4 sushi rolls to go and have as my 3AM drunk meal

In all seriousness the "refrigerators" in NCL cabins are actually "beverage coolers" and are not food safe as the lowest they go is 45 degrees Fahrenheit. It's not worth getting Bacillus cereus from the sushi rice.

Edited by Mistizoom
  • Like 1