Itinerary Advice?

clp0930

I'm looking at two different itineraries for Carnival Dream. We're a family of four, my daughter will be 11 when we travel and my son will be 7. My son has mild autism, so while he doesn't have meltdowns or issues with food/change, he dislikes really loud/rowdy environments.

The first itinerary is 6 Nights visiting Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel. Planned excursions would be the animal sanctuary with sloths in Roatan, San Gervaiso ruins in Cozumel, and an airboat ride in Belize.

The second itinerary is 8 nights and visits Key West, Nassau, Freeport, and Half Moon Cay. Planned excursions would be the butterfly conservatory in Key West, Pearl Island beach day or Queen's Staircase in Nassau, kayaking in Lucayan National Park for Freeport, and the stingray adventure in Half Moon Cay. I'm open to any other advice as well. 

4 hours ago, clp0930 said:

I'm looking at two different itineraries for Carnival Dream. We're a family of four, my daughter will be 11 when we travel and my son will be 7. My son has mild autism, so while he doesn't have meltdowns or issues with food/change, he dislikes really loud/rowdy environments.

Considering the planned excursions and your family, I would favor the first itinerary, even though it is shorter. The excursions just sound more interesting to 11yo me, and my 3-yrs younger brother.

Now, Nassau is the only one of your ports that I have been to, and if you choose the longer second itinerary, I can personally recommend https://ardastra.com/, a small but fascinating wildlife refuge. You would have to hail a taxi, and have the ticket booth call one for you when you are done with the park. They have dancing flamingos (check the show schedule) and an enclosure where you go inside and feed lovebirds fruit!

One thing that is true for all cruiselines and possibly especially Carnival, is that the longer the cruise, the less of a rowdy party atmosphere. I don't know if there is much difference 6 to 8 days, though. You might post on the Carnival board, here

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/133-carnival-cruise-lines/

And ask about the ship and particular cruises (give dates?) with that particular aspect in your inquiry.

Oh, let me not forget to welcome you to Cruise Critic, you are doing fine! And, here is the info that @1025cruise mentioned:

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/children-special-needs

and

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6469/~/kulturecity-sensory-certified

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

Airboats can be loud.   Pool decks can have very loud music.  Ear phones/plugs might be a good thing if an option.  I've seen them in use with younger children.  Sometimes wish I had some. 😀

• Like 3

On 6/11/2023 at 4:37 PM, clp0930 said:

San Gervaiso ruins in Cozumel,

I LOVE Mayan archaeology, and have been to San Gervasio several times.

...but I'm not sure I'd recommend it for kids... or anyone not pretty into Mayan archaeology.

There is a lot of walking - in HOT jungle, with LOTS of mosquitos... and the ruins are relatively minor and not particularly restored.

• Like 1

I'm leaning the other way.  8 days is better than 6 days and while I might favor the 6-day itinerary, I certainly do not think it's that much better.  I'm not a Nassau/Freeport fan, but Key West is a great little town, and Half Moon Cay has one of the best beaches in The Bahamas.  

If I could offer a bit of additional advice, with your son's affliction to loud/rowdy environments, are you sure Carnival is the line you should sail?  In all likelihood, you'll be ok but when it comes to cruise ship rowdy environments, Carnival is the first line that comes to my mind.  

Good luck with your choice.  

• Like 3

On 6/16/2023 at 5:13 PM, Aquahound said:

I'm leaning the other way.  8 days is better than 6 days and while I might favor the 6-day itinerary, I certainly do not think it's that much better.  I'm not a Nassau/Freeport fan, but Key West is a great little town, and Half Moon Cay has one of the best beaches in The Bahamas.  

If I could offer a bit of additional advice, with your son's affliction to loud/rowdy environments, are you sure Carnival is the line you should sail?  In all likelihood, you'll be ok but when it comes to cruise ship rowdy environments, Carnival is the first line that comes to my mind.  

Good luck with your choice.  

I wound up booking Harmony of the Seas (Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Roatan) I''l tweak the excursions for the kids. I had to go with that ship due to a family function that came up in July so those dates worked best for us. (Note to self: Never try to surprise husband--the universe will intervene)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have significant sensory issues with noise triggering my anxiety and recently purchased these noise cancelling ear plugs for my upcoming cruise. They are specifically intended for noise sensitivity. I have been using them and OH MY HECK they make such a huge difference! I'm still able to hear people speaking, but the loud background noise is quite diminished. Just wanted to share.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BFS1XSW8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Like 2

My hat is off to you, mama!!! At seven, my autistic son (now 33) was starving himself rather than try any of the "allergy food challenge" foods I offered. We took a family cruise when he was 19, and he'd outgrown most of the noise problems, but there we were in Ketchikan Alaska shopping for the right bread, the right peanut butter, the right jelly because a steady diet of hot dogs cooked the way he liked them was not available, and all dessert all the time was not available either...

I'm sure you know, prepare for any and every tiny little thing. My son loved that cruise, and still talks about it.  

• 3 weeks later...

My son has mild autism, so while he doesn't have meltdowns or issues with food/change, he dislikes really loud/rowdy environments.

Let me throw out an idea:  Last fall we accidentally sailed on "The Buddy Cruise" -- I say accidentally not because it was a mistake but because we didn't realize we were with a partial-charter until we booked.  "The buddies" are a large group that charters a cruise every fall -- they are families with children /adults with many different disabilities.  They were great travel partners, very family oriented, and we'd absolutely sail with them again.  You can google and find them easily.   Anyway, if you were to sail with that group, you'd find loads of travel companions who would be very understanding of your son's needs.  

The first itinerary is 6 Nights visiting Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel. Planned excursions would be the animal sanctuary with sloths in Roatan, San Gervaiso ruins in Cozumel, and an airboat ride in Belize.

We're doing this sailing in October and can't wait!  We've never been to Roatan or Belize.  

The second itinerary is 8 nights and visits Key West, Nassau, Freeport, and Half Moon Cay. Planned excursions would be the butterfly conservatory in Key West, Pearl Island beach day or Queen's Staircase in Nassau, kayaking in Lucayan National Park for Freeport, and the stingray adventure in Half Moon Cay. I'm open to any other advice as well. 

Be aware that to reach most excursions in Nassau, you must pass through the "gates" to the city, and it's extremely cramped /crowded /feels very, very unsafe.  We didn't even leave particularly early, but the sheer number of people being pressed through the bottleneck that is the entrance to Nassau is unpleasant -- and I'm neuro-typical!  Once you're past the crowds and with your excursion, you'll have no problem.  

You may find this to a lesser extent in Freeport, as people in that area are so poor that they're desperate to grab your business at any cost.  I personally have no problem with this, but it'd be smart to instruct your children -- especially your son -- to keep his hands in his pockets, look down, and keep walking.  Again, once you pass the crowds and are with your excursion group, you'll have no problems.  

On 6/16/2023 at 6:13 PM, Aquahound said:

I'm leaning the other way.  8 days is better than 6 days 

Hard to argue with math!  

• Like 1