Wi-Fi Changes & Updates FAQs Published on May 25, 2023

mahdnc

On May 25, Celebrity published a set of FAQs regarding "Wi-Fi Updates".  Celebrity has been communicating changes in this manner lately.  The problem for me is that you have to piece together what the change is based on the FAQs since it is not accompanied by an announcement that I could find.

It looks like a new pricing structure will be put into place and that Basic Wi-Fi will no longer be sold after Jun 1.  Now that I think about it, I recall CC members observing that Basic Wi-Fi offerings have disappeared from their Cruise Planner.  I just looked at my CP for my cruises and the Basic Wi-Fi option is gone along with the Basic to Premium Voucher option.

The Premium Wi-Fi pricing table in Question 8 does not indicate if the pricing is per day, but I think it is.  MCC must be the abbreviation for My Celebrity Cruise (see Question 11) but I don't know what it means..

Anyway, here are the Wii-Fi Updates FAQs: link

image.thumb.png.647cb88434faea9e82fafe6cfbaebd08.png

Edited by mahdnc
  • Thanks 3

• mahdnc changed the title to Wi-Fi Changes & Updates FAQs Published on May 25, 2023
3 minutes ago, prmssk said:

It looks like MCC is the pricing if you purchase pre-cruise in the cruise planner. 

It’s nice to see prices go down on something for a change. 

The pricing in my Cruise Planner looks cheaper than FAQ #8.

image.thumb.png.a1d29f5cd0a601bbba0f1bb44aed1777.png

image.png.30d82106f850732046a95cbca41a520f.png

While I don't have any knowledge more than what you posted it appears to be a Travel Agent message -    I read it as a daily rate -  in the bullet 9 -

9. DOES CELEBRITY CRUISES OFFER PROGRESSIVE PREMIUM WI-FI DISCOUNTS PER SAILING LENGTH?
No, the per day price of Wi-Fi remains the same with all cruise lengths

Found item 12 rather interesting and can see some irritated passengers

12. CAN CRUISE RATE ONLY GUESTS PURCHASE BASIC WI-FI?
No, only Premium Wi-Fi will be available for purchase beginning June 1, 2023

10 minutes ago, prmssk said:

It looks like MCC is the pricing if you purchase pre-cruise in the cruise planner. 

It’s nice to see prices go down on something for a change. 

Did you notice item 7

WHAT IF A GUEST PURCHASED PREMIUM WI-FI BEFORE JUNE 1, 2023?

Guests are re-imbursed the difference via On Board Credit onboard. Process to refund and charge at new rate:
• The Store Manager processes refunds on the first day of the cruise using the PCP participation report
• Refunds are in the form of On Board Credit based on the difference in what the guest paid
and the new price onboard
• A welcome letter is placed in the cabin of affected guests

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

While I don't have any knowledge more than what you posted it appears to be a Travel Agent message -    I read it as a daily rate -  in the bullet 9 -

Just to clarify, I found this FAQ on Celebrity's trade website (for travel agents/planners) which is at https://www.thecelebritycommitment.com/

1 minute ago, wrk2cruise said:

So will the All Included be premium now?

I asked myself the same thing--will this be the case for AI bookings after Jun 1?

Edited by mahdnc

1 minute ago, mahdnc said:

Just to clarify, I found this FAQ on Celebrity's trade website (for travel agents/planners) which is at https://www.thecelebritycommitment.com/

Understand.    I find it interesting that the current rates for my November Edge Cruise are less than what is published in the FAQ

image.png.140f8c38f7bc5263e367ce546ad15807.png

7 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

So will the All Included be premium now?

PER  Item 10 and 11

10. WILL ALL INCLUDED GUESTS STILL RECEIVE BASIC WI-FI ONBOARD?
Yes, guest that booked the All Included rate will receive Basic Wi-Fi.

11. CAN I UPGRADE MY BASIC WI-FI INCLUDED PLAN TO A PREMIUM WI-FI PLAN?
Yes, this can be done pre-cruise using My Celebrity Cruise - $7.99 per person per day or once Onboard at the iLounge -
$9.99 per person per day. Pre-Cruise pricing is always lower than onboard

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Understand.    I find it interesting that the current rates for my November Edge Cruise are less than what is published in the FAQ

Same here.

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

For our Conny Nov 2023 TA the price is $24.50 CAD a day ($18.34 USD) and a 20% discount 

but for our Equinox Nov 2024 TA the price is $25.56 CAD a day ( $19.12 USD ) and a 20% discount 

no option for upgrading 

I think you need an  Ouija board to understand Celebrity pricing 

IMG_5673.thumb.jpeg.f4fac080f62301a75515d28a44ec09e6.jpeg

IMG_5672.thumb.jpeg.34b7eb89e0cc4323ac1f02004d3e9802.jpeg

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer

23 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

For our Conny Nov 2023 TA the price is $24.50 CAD a day ($18.34 USD) and a 20% discount 

but for our Equinox Nov 2024 TA the price is $25.56 CAD a day ( $19.12 USD ) and a 20% discount 

Don't you think it's a bit tricky using what you paid in CAD, converting it to USD (perhaps without knowing the exact exchange rate on the date of purchase) then comparing the different USD rates as though they 'ought' to be the same?

BTW, on your 'recommendation' I ordered a SIM from SIM Corner Canada for a recent trip and was very pleased.  Thanks.

Edited by d9704011

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Don't you think it's a bit tricky using what you paid in CAD, converting it to USD (perhaps without knowing the exact exchange rate on the date of purchase) then comparing the different USD rates as though they 'ought' to be the same?

No , I don’t 

a cent or two difference on  on the exchange rate on $20 dollars will not make that much of a difference 

It is also a reference for our American friends to show the price in USD 

8 hours ago, snow bunny said:

If you do a mock booking, the AI references “Unlimited Premium Wifi”.  Will be interesting to see how this impacts the actual usage of passengers.

snow bunny

Hmm... not on the mock booking I just did on the UK website,  it still references 'Basic WiFi' for AI....

This is consistent with #10 on the published FAQ....

Edited by Mark_T

12 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

No , I don’t 

a cent or two difference on  on the exchange rate on $20 dollars will not make that much of a difference 

It is also a reference for our American friends to show the price in USD 

Yes.  The exchange rate used for the two separate purchases was the same; looks like it's simply a different pricing structure.

We had the new premium Starlink Wi-Fi on our June 4th Equinox cruise, and it was excellent service compared to past cruises with premium service. Never lost connection and I was able to send and receive phone calls and text messages with my Samsung Wi-Fi calling on my phone. I also was able to use video calling with the same excellent results. 

• Thanks 3

9 hours ago, snow bunny said:

If you do a mock booking, the AI references “Unlimited Premium Wifi”.  Will be interesting to see how this impacts the actual usage of passengers.

snow bunny

I just did a mock booking for the Ascent (I'm in the US) and the AI mentions basic WiFi.

Based on the FAQ 10, I had assumed AI would continue to include only the basic WiFi.

26 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We had the new premium Starlink Wi-Fi on our June 4th Equinox cruise, and it was excellent service compared to past cruises with premium service. Never lost connection and I was able to send and receive phone calls and text messages with my Samsung Wi-Fi calling on my phone. I also was able to use video calling with the same excellent results. 

Good to know.  We are on her in October.  I originally bought basic for 2 devices, but upgraded to premium for two people during the Memorial Day sale.  I'm skeptical, but the site took my money.  Will have to confirm onboard that I have wifi for both people, and not just 2 devices. 

9 hours ago, mahdnc said:

The pricing in my Cruise Planner looks cheaper than FAQ #8.

It is still cheaper than what I paid for on my last Celebrity cruise. I'm not surprised they may still have cruise planner sales that bring the price down further.

Although, logging into my own cruise planner, I see the pricing I'm used to (which is higher than 8).  The next cruise where I have an opportunity to buy Wi-Fi isn't until January of 2025 though.  IT must not have gotten around to later cruises yet.....

2 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I'm skeptical, but the site took my money.  Will have to confirm onboard that I have wifi for both people, and not just 2 devices. 

All Wi-Fi packages are per device (not per person).  So having a 2 device plan is essentially the same as 2 people having their own 1 device plan (unless you mean you bought 2 device plans for each of you).  You just share a login in the first case and have separate logins in the second case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, prmssk said:

All Wi-Fi packages are per device (not per person).  So having a 2 device plan is essentially the same as 2 people having their own 1 device plan (unless you mean you bought 2 device plans for each of you).  You just share a login in the first case and have separate logins in the second case.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it, but I bought basic wifi and it was cheaper to buy a 2 device plan than buy one device for two people, so I did that.  Then on the Memorial Day sale, the only option it gave me was to add for each person, and not upgrade my existing 2 device plan.  It works out the same, I paid for two, and I now have two upgraded, but it wasn't like I upgraded exactly what I bought originally.  I suspect it won't matter, but I am a bit nervous about it.  I have the documentation saved for each purchase, so hopefully it won't be an issue.

40 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We had the new premium Starlink Wi-Fi on our June 4th Equinox cruise, and it was excellent service compared to past cruises with premium service.

We had the 'Basic' Starlink WiFi on Eclipse in January and it was every bit as limited as the old 'Basic' WiFi unfortunately.

No question that it is an improvement for Premium, that seems to be well received by all, but Celebrity have kept the 'Basic' service locked down to such a low bandwidth that we couldn't even load this site...