Guarantee assignment

seachelt

I have looked and will continue to look as this isn't the article. But here's one in Australia where passengers showed up and denied boarding because the ship was oversold. I recently read an article where this happened, I'm almost positive, in Europe and I believe there were 11 passengers who had flown in from other places...and there they stood. We were in the GTY position and I'd rarely been more relieved than when we got assigned cabins. So, yes, it can happen.

Just now, clo said:

I have looked and will continue to look as this isn't the article. But here's one in Australia where passengers showed up and denied boarding because the ship was oversold. I recently read an article where this happened, I'm almost positive, in Europe and I believe there were 11 passengers who had flown in from other places...and there they stood. We were in the GTY position and I'd rarely been more relieved than when we got assigned cabins. So, yes, it can happen.

Oops, here's the link: https://www.cruisehive.com/royal-caribbean-ship-overbooked-guests-left-behind/116935

I think in 12 O cruises and 2 future bookings we've had a guarantee 2x, maybe 3? At least once we didn't get our assignment until check-in at the pier.

Don't worry, so far no one has reported O denying boarding to guarantees.

Sure it might happen someday, but remember as Ian Fleming said 'worry is a dividend paid to disaster before it is due'

• Like 4

12 hours ago, babysteps said:

I think in 12 O cruises and 2 future bookings we've had a guarantee 2x, maybe 3? At least once we didn't get our assignment until check-in at the pier.

Don't worry, so far no one has reported O denying boarding to guarantees.

Sure it might happen someday, but remember as Ian Fleming said 'worry is a dividend paid to disaster before it is due'

Yikes, no assignment until the pier.  That's worse than when we flew to Auckland and didn't have a cabin.  That was on Princess and we found out when we landed in Auckland where we would be.

We are 6 days from boarding and still no cabin.  In our case if Oceania called and gave us an offer to move off this cruise we would likely take it.  As of right now our other travel arrangements can be cancelled with no loss.  We have a lot going on in our lives right now and it would probably be best for us to stay put.  But I know we will enjoy it if we end up going.

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, tulefogg said:

We booked with a travel group, that we belong to.  I noticed that we were given a guarantee state room.  When I talked to the group leader he said that we were the only ones that were not assigned a room. He felt that  that we were guaranteed a room.  So not problem. We shouldn't worry about it.  We have had 10 cruises on Princess and have NEVER requested a guarantee.  We leave in 4 days and still no assigned room. I understand that the ship will put us wherever they feel they want to and it  may not be an upgrade.  They guarantee we will have a stateroom  which may be somewhere a little more undesirable, a little more noise or  ship movement.    I signed up  to bid for a mini suite.  My bid wasn't very high - so I may or may not get it.   My travel group says I should just wait and see.  

What cruise line are you talking about? This is the Oceania board. There has never been bidding for any upgrades on Oceania.

Edited by ORV
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Yikes, no assignment until the pier.  That's worse than when we flew to Auckland and didn't have a cabin.  That was on Princess and we found out when we landed in Auckland where we would be.

We are 6 days from boarding and still no cabin.  In our case if Oceania called and gave us an offer to move off this cruise we would likely take it.  As of right now our other travel arrangements can be cancelled with no loss.  We have a lot going on in our lives right now and it would probably be best for us to stay put.  But I know we will enjoy it if we end up going.

Don't worry, you'll get onboard with a Guarantee!

I guess it was how it was presented to us, we didn't really expect a specific cabin assignment until boarding so we weren't concerned.

This isn't the airlines where 'no seat assignment' can sometimes mean you are about to get bumped. At least it hasn't been like that in the past!

Guarantee on O is not 'standby', it just means you can't choose your exact cabin.

Typically Oceania will offer move-overs to folks with confirmed reservations to make space (if needed) for guarantees. In the past, they have always converted enough move-overs or move-ups to make space for all guarantees. Or if any guarantee ever was denied boarding, no one on CC has heard about it...

Reminder - O uses "guarantee" a bit different than some other lines. You can't choose it yourself, and it's not a discount. It's offered by O after they sell through enough cabins as "available" that they won't guarantee your cabin choice. Once enough guarantees are sold, the category switches to 'wait list'. Guarantees DO get onboard, Wait List may end up not getting a confirmed reservation at all. 

So don't worry, you'll get onboard with a guarantee on O!

Or have a first-ever-on-CC story - bragging rights??

And if you are the worrying type, that's ok too. Travel will always bring opportunity to worry...

• Like 1