Guarantee assignment

seachelt

33 minutes ago, BSR said:

@Sthrngary I been reading your posts and you mentioned you paid for your upgrade to the Vista Suite. Did you also write letters to the top executives? Is this how you got your Vista Suite for only $4700 per person? Sounds like a great deal.

@BSR I did write a very nice letter to top executives.  Not sure if you know the story but I was misquoted an paid upgrade.  It was a MISTAKE by Oceania while I was on the phone listening with my Travel Agent.  When I heard the amount to upgrade, I knew it was To Good To Be True.  So when I got my credit card which all of 60 seconds, the offer they gave me was off the table.  

Mistakes happen.  I sent a letter making sure that I fully understood mistakes happen.  All I asked in my letter was, if and when "Paid Upgrades" were to happen on my cruise, would they consider offering one to me.  That is all I asked for.  I got a call, an upgrade was provided which was "A LOT" more then the original amount.  Still, it was a value to me. I was impressed with Oceania's willingness to communicate with me and acknowledge that an mistake had been made.  

Did I gain a fair deal and now have a "Once In A Life Time Cruising Experience." Yes.  I did not expect it, I did not demand it. I was also impressed with the shear speed my situation was handled and resolved.  Win/Win situation. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

9 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@BSR I did write a very nice letter to top executives.  Not sure if you know the story but I was misquoted an paid upgrade.  It was a MISTAKE by Oceania while I was on the phone listening with my Travel Agent.  When I heard the amount to upgrade, I knew it was To Good To Be True.  So when I got my credit card which all of 60 seconds, the offer they gave me was off the table.  

Mistakes happen.  I sent a letter making sure that I fully understood mistakes happen.  All I asked in my letter was, if and when "Paid Upgrades" were to happen on my cruise, would they consider offering one to me.  That is all I asked for.  I got a call, an upgrade was provided which was "A LOT" more then the original amount.  Still, it was a value to me. I was impressed with Oceania's willingness to communicate with me and acknowledge that an mistake had been made.  

Did I gain a fair deal and now have a "Once In A Life Time Cruising Experience." Yes.  I did not expect it, I did not demand it. I was also impressed with the shear speed my situation was handled and resolved.  Win/Win situation. 

Good to hear that Oceania acknowledged their mistake and you were given the Vista Suite for an incredible deal. Enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, BSR said:

Sthrngary can provide you the link if he chooses to do so.

What BSR is saying is TRUE.  I purposefully did NOT disclose any numbers here for this very reason.  I was given a professional courtesy.  I was very thankful to Oceania. I knew if I disclosed my total investment here, on this blog,  it would cause a stir.  I was obviously right.  I used this situation to high light how to handle issue with brands and to show how brands will do the right thing if you approach it right.   Also, to address that the "Upgrade Fairy" exists.  The information provide is accurate and quite frankly I was THRILLED.  

The actual link is on the blog, "First Time Cruisers".  The entry # is 28.  It is on the first page with my screen name as the Author.  I explain what happened and the result.  

I could have just not responded to this inquiry, but if BSR makes a statement that is factual, and it seems like others are challenging that statement.  Even if I did not want to disclose that here, I will not allow any member to come across as not being honest.  

I hope that is the end of this inquiry.  

Edited by Sthrngary
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

What BSR is saying is TRUE.  I purposefully did NOT disclose any numbers here for this very reason.  I was given a professional courtesy.  I was very thankful to Oceania. I knew if I disclosed my total investment here, on this blog,  it would cause a stir.  I was obviously right.  I used this situation to high light how to handle issue with brands and to show how brands will do the right thing if you approach it right.   Also, to address that the "Upgrade Fairy" exists.  The information provide is accurate and quite frankly I was THRILLED.  

The actual link is on the blog, "First Time Cruisers".  The entry # is 24.  It is on the first page with my screen name as the Author.  I explain what happened and the result.  

I could have just not responded to this inquiry, but if BSR makes a statement that is factual, and it seems like others are challenging that statement.  Even if I did not want to disclose that here, I will not allow any member to come across as not being honest.  

I respect your decision.

Your posts have been beyond helpful to me, as well as others, to find ways to get things done! Thank you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

The actual link is on the blog, "First Time Cruisers".  The entry # is 28.  It is on the first page with my screen name as the Author.  I explain what happened and the result.  

Sorry I didn’t think by listing the dollar amount would cause a stir since you posted it in other threads. I think it’s great that you got such a good deal.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

You did not post in this  thread but you disclosed the number in another thread   so what is the difference  ...NONE

If you paid for an upgrade that is great for you 

I am not sure anyone  really cares  unless you took a cabin they were trying to upgrade to  as well

The drama  of it all

Enjoy the cruise

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

You did not post in this  thread but you disclosed the number in another thread   so what is the difference  ...NONE

If you paid for an upgrade that is great for you 

I am not sure anyone  really cares  unless you took a cabin they were trying to upgrade to  as well

The drama  of it all

Enjoy the cruise

True, you are always the voice of reason.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2023 at 8:16 AM, Sthrngary said:

I am just having fun here so please don't take this post/comment as if it is overly important.  

I am doing a daily check on my one (1) remaining Guarantee reservation and finding this little study very interesting.  I HAD two (2) bookings both Guarantee PH3 for a November 2023 10 day Mediterranean Cruise.  One reservation which was mine, I did a guest "Paid" upgrade so I have a stateroom now.  The other Guarantee is for the guest that will be joining us which is still in PLAY.

Here are the facts:

• This cruise is NOW in the deposit penalty period.

Newbee Assumption:  Logic tells me prior to this first penalty period, some folks would cancel with NO penalty. Like a first small wave of cancelations.  

• The final payment is scheduled for August 11, 2023.

Newbee Assumption: The second wave of cancelations logically would happen just before final payment avoiding additional guest loss. 

• Currently only two (2) Staterooms show available.  One (1) Vista Suite and one (1) Owners Suite.
  • All other categories are waitlist. 
  • The majority of waitlist happened when new bookings could take advantage of BOTH "four category upgrade" and "Extraordinary Saving Sale" at the same time. 
  • About once a week, a PH category becomes available and within an hour or two is gone. 
  • The Summer sale is current in effect for this sailing however I am not sure if that has any effect on the remaining Vista or Owners Suite category. 

Newbee Assumption:  The last wave of cancelations should be as the embarkment day gets closer most likely based on sudden health and scheduling issue crop up. I am sure there are other reasons. 

I find it very interesting to look at this data as it moves forward.  It now makes so much sense what so many people have stated on this specific thread. My interpretation. Unlike when a Air Craft overbooks, overbooking is rarely the case on a cruises. When/if it does happen again rare, the few Guaranteed Staterooms WILL  be filled.  Those on the cruise paid in full (Not those in Guarantee) may have an paid upgrade possibility presented OR may be offered a benefit to take another cruise OR may be given a benefit to take a lower stateroom category.  These offers are very calculated by the ships "Revenue" department for maximizing sales and profits as one would assume. All this is hypothetical of course with the logical assumption, staterooms WILL naturally become available up to the last minute. 

It now makes compete sense that the Guarantees are filled most of the time, after the final payment is due and as close to the sailing date as possible.  It also makes sense that although there is a possibility of an upgrade within the category you are booked (PH3 to PH2 to PH1), a higher category is HIGHLY unusual and very RARE if at all. Does the Complementary Upgrade fairy exist? Maybe but they are all based on algorithms that don't favor the kind of upgrade we all dream on.

As I continue to watch this every day (I have a lot of time on my hands obviously), I will report back.  Please know, regardless to when my final guarantee is filled, each cruise is an island to itself with unique aspects that control timing and placement of guaranteed staterooms. I am simply enjoying the process for "Sport".  

I did the above post on July 12, 2023:

I said I would report back on progress as time went on.  

I was tracking the results of a cruise sales (in the form or stateroom availability), as it related to my one remaining Guaranteed Stateroom Assignments.  This ship sailing currently is ALL waitlisted except one Owners Suite on Deck 8.  My remaining stateroom is a PH3 Guarantee.  The reservation is paid in full and there is 105 days to the embarking day. Final payment for others due date is August 11, 2023.

My daily checks have shown NO waitlist stateroom open in several weeks. The penalty stage is in effect for deposits.  In 15 days the penalty stage will be in effect for cruise fare paid in full. 

When reviewing ALL the comments in this stream, the earliest a Guarantee was assigned was 1 week prior to final payment and the latest was the day before embarkation. From everything shared by others, a waitlisted cruise STILL on the Summer Sale, there is NO business reason why my remaining guarantee stateroom should clear until the week before the cruise.  If this changes, I will report back.  

This is an interesting study for me.  Not everyone might think so unless you have a Guarantee Stateroom.  

16 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I did the above post on July 12, 2023:

I said I would report back on progress as time went on.  

I was tracking the results of a cruise sales (in the form or stateroom availability), as it related to my one remaining Guaranteed Stateroom Assignments.  This ship sailing currently is ALL waitlisted except one Owners Suite on Deck 8.  My remaining stateroom is a PH3 Guarantee.  The reservation is paid in full and there is 105 days to the embarking day. Final payment for others due date is August 11, 2023.

My daily checks have shown NO waitlist stateroom open in several weeks. The penalty stage is in effect for deposits.  In 15 days the penalty stage will be in effect for cruise fare paid in full. 

When reviewing ALL the comments in this stream, the earliest a Guarantee was assigned was 1 week prior to final payment and the latest was the day before embarkation. From everything shared by others, a waitlisted cruise STILL on the Summer Sale, there is NO business reason why my remaining guarantee stateroom should clear until the week before the cruise.  If this changes, I will report back.  

This is an interesting study for me.  Not everyone might think so unless you have a Guarantee Stateroom.  

Also have a GTY D -- on a fully wait-listed voyage in September.  So I'm interested in your comments.  FP was in June.  Don't really expect a higher level cat.  Will be happy just to be back onboard. 

Seems like cruise is oversold, so patiently waiting to see when/if I'll be assigned.  T&C's says they can bump you, but don't think it's likely to occur.  Assignment could be up to and including embarkation day.

5 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

T&C's says they can bump you, but don't think it's likely to occur. 

Please explain this comment.  Not sure what you mean.  Using airline tickets (I know they are not the same) as examples, Bump off a flight with a guaranteed seat, just not assigned, provides compensation.  As this thread outlined, it might be to those in catigories with assignments, or those with Guarantees and it sometime can be interesting propositions.  

The reality is the Guarantees will clear, no one will be involuntarily bumped, all will be cruising that choose to cruise.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Also have a GTY D -- on a fully wait-listed voyage in September.  So I'm interested in your comments.  FP was in June.  Don't really expect a higher level cat.  Will be happy just to be back onboard. 

Seems like cruise is oversold, so patiently waiting to see when/if I'll be assigned.  T&C's says they can bump you, but don't think it's likely to occur.  Assignment could be up to and including embarkation day.

a waitlist is not the same as a GTY

they will make offers to those confirmed in a specific cabin to move off the cruise so those with GTY booking will be accommodated 

some will take the offer some will hold fast  to their booking

Waitlists  are not guaranteed  to get a cabin   it is gamble that sometimes pays off

they will make offers to clear the waitlist  but if no takers then those on the W/L just  get left behind

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

Please explain this comment.  Not sure what you mean.  Using airline tickets (I know they are not the same) as examples, Bump off a flight with a guaranteed seat, just not assigned, provides compensation.  As this thread outlined, it might be to those in catigories with assignments, or those with Guarantees and it sometime can be interesting propositions.  

The reality is the Guarantees will clear, no one will be involuntarily bumped, all will be cruising that choose to cruise.

Please reference Clause 24 --  Guest Bookings

1 hour ago, FetaCheese said:

@FetaCheese I hope you know I am NOT challenging you in anyway. 

24. GUEST BOOKINGS As a condition of Our business, We retain the right to overbook Guest accommodations. In the event that the Guest accommodation referenced in this Ticket Contract is overbooked, or if We determine that the Ship is overbooked, We may, at Our discretion, deny boarding to any Guest and, at Our further discretion, refund all monies paid or offer another Cruise or CruiseTour in substitute.

Interesting read.  

Edited by Sthrngary

We are in a balcony for Alaska Sept 7 and a couple of months ago added a 7 day, Pacific coastal. Could only get an inside guarantee.  Now the whole ship is waitlisted, even though O is  still taking bookings.

Eager to see what we will end up having but that may be right up to the time of boarding.

Don't like the idea of having to pack and relocate but it is what it is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

I do not think I have heard of anyone getting bumped at the port check in

I am sure if they did  they would find cruise forums like CC to yell  about their treatment  by Oceania

This is a reason I never book  a GTY or waitlist  ..I could not  survive  the  stress of waiting  😄

Enjoy the cruise

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@FetaCheese I hope you know I am NOT challenging you in anyway. 

24. GUEST BOOKINGS As a condition of Our business, We retain the right to overbook Guest accommodations. In the event that the Guest accommodation referenced in this Ticket Contract is overbooked, or if We determine that the Ship is overbooked, We may, at Our discretion, deny boarding to any Guest and, at Our further discretion, refund all monies paid or offer another Cruise or CruiseTour in substitute.

Interesting read.  

No, didn't infer as a challenge.  No worries.

Glad you found and read it.

I am one who does read and (try to) understand T&C's, prior to depositing.

Edited by FetaCheese
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

If you have a GTY they will NOT bump you..you WILL be on the ship in a D or above

Jancruz1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

As I promised to do, here are the results of my observation with 97 days until our cruise.  For about a week, all staterooms at every level showed "Waitlist" on our voyage.  Just out of curiosity, I went to the guest contract and read the cancellation policy again.  My logic was to determine when the most about of guest currently booked might choose not to pay the balance at 90 days out. 

Interesting read by the way, I have had no issue falling asleep at night when I try to read this crazy long and detailed document.  Back to the point, business logic tells me, the majority of cancelation will happen on day 90.  Even though the penalty for the deposit went into effect at 120 days out.  

About five days ago, two Oceania Suites and one Owners Suite became available.  That was an interesting find.  I would have thought with a higher penalty for those suite, they would have been solid but I was wrong.  I am posting today, 97 days out because this was the first time that some of those who posted on this stream said their Guarantees had been filled.  

My gut tells me, Oceania on a ship that is filled, will clear Guarantee's after 90 days out or when full payments have been received.  The majority to be filled the week prior to sailing.  That is my observations to this point.  Just interesting how it all works. 

The 3 initial bookings to every cruise taken applies to Oceania as well. Do the algorithms occasionally miss the anomalies,? Of course! But over the course of time, the algorithms win out, or are changed based upon current activity.

• 2 weeks later...

My Next Observation on the Topic of Guarantee Stateroom:

I thought that my ship which only had two Oceania and on Owners Suite left would have lower stateroom show up when the Final Payment was due.  Following my thought, it seems if folks were going to cancel, they would do so before final payment.  Well the final payment was last Friday, on PH1 showed up and it was gone and never came back.  

Not what I thought would happen.  I find this very interesting.  Maybe the lack of cancelations is because the sale that filled the ship up was a really good one.  No one wants to lost the valuable fair they have.  Maybe it is another reason.  Again, just interesting to watch.

Back to logic.  I have no earthly idea how many Guarantees Oceania books in a given category.  To me this means that all that stateroom Category are sold and assigned to a guest. So, Guarantee followed by waitlist as Oceania's strategy to keep every stateroom filled. Kind of like a plane over booking passengers with the policy that you will be in a stateroom at your guarantee level or higher. 

Now I am interested to see what happens every time the penalty stage get higher.  I will report back. 

• Haha 1