CPAP/Outlets/Quantum

Trying to connect a CPAP seems to be a different problem on every ship.

On many ships, such as Navigator of the Seas, there are no outlets anywhere near the back of the bed...so I've had to request an extension cord...and string it all along the walls, clear around the cabin.

On Celebrity Apex, we found an outlet right at the nightstand.  Why can't all ships be designed like this?

On some older Celebrity ships, we found the lamp on the nightstand plugged into a Euro outlet right behind the bed...which worked well since I have an adapter that turns a Euro outlet into two outlets--one Euro, one US...So I could unplug the lamp, insert the adapter and then plug in both the lamp and the CPAP.

Now, this August, I will be on Quantum of the Seas for the first time.  Before I call RCCL to request an extension cord, the question is whether or not there are any usable outlets for a CPAP in a standard balcony cabin...

Anyone know?  Thanks...

Navigator is 20 years old.  The class of ship was designed a decade before that.  

People didn't have so many gadgets back then and CPAP machines were not that commonly carried on vacation.  Neither were cell phones (carried by everyone on vacation) in the early1990's during the design phase of those ships.

A lot has changed and now newer ships have features old ships do not.  

Quantum class ships have an outlet on one side of the bed near the lamp by the nightstand.  

Edited by twangster

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

Navigator is 20 years old.  The class of ship was designed a decade before that.  

People didn't have so many gadgets back then and CPAP machines were not that commonly carried on vacation.  Neither were cell phones in early 1990's during the design phase of those ships.

A lot has changed and now newer ships have features old ships do not.  

Quantum class ships have an outlet on one side of the bed near the lamp by the nightstand.  

Thanks.  So...similar to what we had on Symphony? Just one side only?

image.png.96b5c7b34eaa58de4770554867cddedf.png

Still not ideal with the outlet on one side...BOTH my wife and I use CPAPS...and since the cords aren't quite long enough, we still needed to ask for an expension cord (and had to use a multi-outet adapter) to plug both units into the one outlet.

1 minute ago, E&D2004 said:

Any info about outlets near the bed on Oasis.  I am Suite GTY so likely a Jr. Suite.  Many thanks

I can't help you with a JS on Oasis, but I was in a Central Park balcony in December.  I didn't see an outlet close by so I asked our room steward for an extension cord.  He said "no need" and pulled the bed out revealing an outlet directly behind the bed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, E&D2004 said:

Any info about outlets near the bed on Oasis.  I am Suite GTY so likely a Jr. Suite.  Many thanks

44 minutes ago, dwp10mm said:

I can't help you with a JS on Oasis, but I was in a Central Park balcony in December.  I didn't see an outlet close by so I asked our room steward for an extension cord.  He said "no need" and pulled the bed out revealing an outlet directly behind the bed.

Yes, you must pull out the bed to access it.  Grab the cord coming out of the phone, and follow it to the outlet.  The other side is available for your plug.  🙂 

1 hour ago, dwp10mm said:

I'll be on Quantum in 11 days with my CPAP machine.  I'll check to see if there is an outlet on both sides and report back.

On Quantum now. Plug is only on one side of bed. Just like pic above. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Trying to connect a CPAP seems to be a different problem on every ship.

On many ships, such as Navigator of the Seas, there are no outlets anywhere near the back of the bed...so I've had to request an extension cord...and string it all along the walls, clear around the cabin.

On Celebrity Apex, we found an outlet right at the nightstand.  Why can't all ships be designed like this?

On some older Celebrity ships, we found the lamp on the nightstand plugged into a Euro outlet right behind the bed...which worked well since I have an adapter that turns a Euro outlet into two outlets--one Euro, one US...So I could unplug the lamp, insert the adapter and then plug in both the lamp and the CPAP.

Now, this August, I will be on Quantum of the Seas for the first time.  Before I call RCCL to request an extension cord, the question is whether or not there are any usable outlets for a CPAP in a standard balcony cabin...

Anyone know?  Thanks...

Would you need the adapter to also be a converter so you don’t ruin the CPAP? 

Always, always let them know up front that you are bringing a CPAP, so room attendant can have an extension cord and distilled water in your room.  Last couple cruises the room attendant wasn’t advised - even though it was clearly marked on my booking.   Both times they had to run all over the ship looking for a cord.  Embarkation day is difficult enough.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JsMom2 said:

Always, always let them know up front that you are bringing a CPAP, so room attendant can have an extension cord and distilled water in your room.  Last couple cruises the room attendant wasn’t advised - even though it was clearly marked on my booking.   Both times they had to run all over the ship looking for a cord.  Embarkation day is difficult enough.  

I always send the email for my DH but as of yet, they have never had anything ready and didn’t know about it. So I’ll continue to send the email hoping it gets to the room steward one day 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JsMom2 said:

They supply distilled water on the ship?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, slotmomma3 said:

They supply distilled water on the ship?

YES.  Every ship we've been on since getting the CPAPs.  Call or write ahead of time, they will leave a gallon jug of distilled water and an extension cord (if necessary) in the cabin....though, sometimes, they seem to forget it and you have to call the Guest Services desk.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Anyone now what the outlet situation on Jewel of the Seas is?

6 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

From what I recall it’s the same as on all the Radiance class ships.  Just the outlets on the desk…unless something changed since January

Correct.  Just the standard two american and one european outlet on the desk/vanity.CIMG0509.jpg.a70d5f9d6a5415fec2a178b7fc39666f.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 5:04 PM, Bruin Steve said:

YES.  Every ship we've been on since getting the CPAPs.  Call or write ahead of time, they will leave a gallon jug of distilled water and an extension cord (if necessary) in the cabin....though, sometimes, they seem to forget it and you have to call the Guest Services desk.

Quicker to let your room attendant know directly, as they are the one responsible.  Sometimes they get the word in advance, but sometimes it’s not passed down. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 11:33 AM, lovesthebeach2 said:

I always send the email for my DH but as of yet, they have never had anything ready and didn’t know about it. So I’ll continue to send the email hoping it gets to the room steward one day 

Call in to reservations.  They will put it on your booking.  You will see the note “BRG CPAP” under his name on your Guest Invoice.