Leaving luggage with porters but checking in later

Phildel

We have a cruise booked on Viva departing Trieste at 8pm . Was wondering if anyone knew if we could leave our luggage with the porters at the cruise terminal but come back later to actually check in . This would give us some time to have a walk around Trieste before departing . Not sure what the latest check in time would be with an 8pm departure . 

32 minutes ago, Phildel said:

We have a cruise booked on Viva departing Trieste at 8pm . Was wondering if anyone knew if we could leave our luggage with the porters at the cruise terminal but come back later to actually check in . This would give us some time to have a walk around Trieste before departing . Not sure what the latest check in time would be with an 8pm departure . 

It should be listed in your cruise confirmation papers if all guests have to be on board 1 hour or 2 hours prior to departure on embarkation day. We had a cruise out of Trieste on the Gem last year, and our papers had this listed on page two of the confirmation:
Final Boarding Time Policy:
Please be advised that on embarkation day, all guests must be onboard the ship no later than one (1) hour prior to the departure time noted on their cruise
documents or they will not be permitted to sail.

The all aboard "deadline" being one or two hours prior to the scheduled sailing time on embarkation day may vary by port and country, it could also vary by ship. So you should check what is listed on YOUR confirmation and go by that.

Edited by TrumpyNor
Editing the quote
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TrumpyNor said:

It should be listed in your cruise confirmation papers if all guests have to be on board 1 hour or 2 hours prior to departure on embarkation day. We had a cruise out of Trieste on the Gem last year, and our papers had this listed on page two of the confirmation:
Final Boarding Time Policy:
Please be advised that on embarkation day, all guests must be onboard the ship no later than one (1) hour prior to the departure time noted on their cruise
documents or they will not be permitted to sail.

The all aboard "deadline" being one or two hours prior to the scheduled sailing time on embarkation day may vary by port and country, it could also vary by ship. So you should check what is listed on YOUR confirmation and go by that.

Thanks . Hopefully I can leave the luggage with the porters earlier then come back in the afternoon to actually check in. Saves me leaving luggage at my hotel then going back to pick it up before check in

42 minutes ago, Phildel said:

Check in 2 hours before departure. There is a difference between check in (to finalize the ship’s manifest) and all aboard for those wandering around the port. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm planning to do this in Seattle on my way to Alaska. Will get to the ship late morning, (shuttle) but have found that the lines are always long at that time. In the past we have arrived after lunch and the lines were non-existent. I'm traveling with my grandson and I would love to walk along the waterfront or even go up to Pike's with him. Think the stress will be much less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

There is no reason you cannot drop your bags off and then disappear into the city for some sightseeing before checking in later.  There is no mechanism that ties the two steps together.  

Thanks . That’s what I was hoping to do but wasn’t sure if it was possible . I have already booked my speciality dinners and hope to book shows 3 weeks before our cruise ,so no reason to go onboard early would rather spend more time sightseeing . Then explore the ship in the evening

We have checked our luggage with the porters a couple of times in New Orleans on another cruise line and then gone to the French Quarter for the day. Probably lucky to stumble back to the ship but we were the only people in line for a late check-in.

We ended a cruise on another cruise line in Trieste in April. We were on a much smaller ship (1200 passengers) and looked to me they were stretched to the limit. Be advised this is a very small port that was not designed to handle a big ship. The potential for long lines should be expected. I saw no sign of porters as we left.

Trieste looked to be a very nice city to explore. Nothing too exciting across the street from the port but a short taxi ride would provide some nice places to see. If, when we ever leave or arrive from Trieste again we plan to spend at least one night there.

• Thanks 1

Did this in Trieste last October.  The port is right in the middle of town, you can walk to everything from the port.  The desk to hand over the luggage (not to porters) is outside, to the right of the terminal entrance.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Phildel said:

Be Careful with your plans in Trieste as the alternate between the town and a commercial dock some distance away. When they use the commercial dock there is a shuttle from the town dock & they wait for it to fill up.

We left from the commercial dock and returned to the town dock with left the next cruise also departing from the town.

No reason why you can't still drop off bags with porters but it may involve 3 shuttle journeys, a shuttle journey to the dock, back into Trieste and back to the dock to check in.
If you do get the commercial dock, I would have a backup plan of a local bag drop in Trieste.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Be Careful with your plans in Trieste as the alternate between the town and a commercial dock some distance away. When they use the commercial dock there is a shuttle from the town dock & they wait for it to fill up.

We left from the commercial dock and returned to the town dock with left the next cruise also departing from the town.

No reason why you can't still drop off bags with porters but it may involve 3 shuttle journeys, a shuttle journey to the dock, back into Trieste and back to the dock to check in.
If you do get the commercial dock, I would have a backup plan of a local bag drop in Trieste.

Thanks we will be staying at The Savoia Exelsior Palace before the cruise so if it is docked in town we will see it and can leave our luggage ,if it is in the commercial dock we can leave our luggage at the hotel and do some sightseeing then pick up our luggage and get the shuttle so will all depend on where the ship is docked 

• Like 1