Simply more's impact on current bookings?

Nashna

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

What you said!  It is akin to one of my posts from a few weeks ago.  We do understand that "O" has many loyal fans who tend to be "one line" cruisers.  Many folks who are "one line" cruisers traditionally do not even look beyond their favorite line and often talk about making a big change to another line.  For some reason, these folks cannot deal with the idea of cruising many lines (we have been on 16 lines to date).  For the "one line" folks who liked the option of booking cruise-only with "O,"  they have indeed run out of cruise lines.  Finding a premium or luxury line that has truly cruise-only pricing no longer exists.  Even mass market lines have been moving to various inclusions (such as drink packages) although you can still find true cruise only pricing if you use a decent cruise agency.  

So, where do one-line "O" folks go to find what the previously loved about "O?"  At the moment, I think they are generally out of luck (and options).  And this sudden movement towards Azamara does not consider that they also have some inclusions and are actually a pretty small cruise line.  Although we look forward to our upcoming Vista cruise (booked under the previous O-life rules), we simply consider "O" one option out of many.  Our next 3 cruises are on Explora Journeys (Luxury), Princess (mass market) and O (premium).  Beyond that we will likely soon book another cruise with Seabourn (our current favorite line).  The variety of using many different lines always keeps our cruises "fresh" with completely different menus, entertainment, and atmosphere.  The new "all in" does not impress us since we seldom take any cruise line excursion (we are long time DIY folks).  And we see no reason to deal with "O" air since we prefer to fly Biz Class and "O" has that ridiculous custom air fee along with lousy Biz Class pricing.  

Hank

Windstar? Im not familiar with them but was on their website yesterday and they offer a cruise only fare.

9 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

$7398 was the full price for 2 on 5/31? And what is the current price? Which sailing?

Yes for 2 or $3,699 pp. All info listed prior but here it is again, A2 Vista 12 day Caribbean in November. However, why is sailing or ship important?  Number of days determines daily new cost. Bottom line is our cruise is now $900 pp or $1,800 more.  Sailing, ship, etc. is of no importance…New price is $75 pp daily or $150 daily for 2. 
Enough questions please….if you feel SM works for your cruises, go for it. 
For this booking the numbers say it all…Cruise Only. 
$1800 more for excursion credit and beer/wine and 2nd connection is no value. We have $700 SBC and using that up in 12 days is more than enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, basor said:

What existing SBC are you discussing?  If it was SBC from a promotion and you are now switching to SM, then yes you give up the amenities of your old promotion.  This is the same as before, booked under Extraordinary Savings and then switch to 4 category upgrade - you lose the amenities of ES and gain the amenities if the 4 category upgrade.  If you are talking about loyalty SBC or TA given SBC then you keep those,.

Thanks for confirming my presumption…our current $800 SBC is part of a booking promotion & thus would be lost switching to SM.

By switching to SM we’d lose $800 of SBC in addition to the extra $1,000 cruise fare increase for our 15 day cruise (all amounts used are per couple). The $1,000 fare increase & $1,000 tours credit are a push. Losing our current $800 SBC to get their beer/wine/champagne at lunch & dinner plan (and maybe a 2nd WiFi connection) would be equivalent to paying $53/day/couple instead of what I’m seeing in my reservation at $79.90/day/couple.

We’ll continue to crunch our numbers & read about others experiences but for us it appears SM would be a push if we wanted the tour credit & drink package which is unlikely for us & would stay with our cruise only booking & $800 SBC…thanks for sharing your insights.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

My understanding is that you can still take the Executive Collection, you just won't get the 25% discount.

There's a 25% built in if you book 5 or.more. Same as it was before. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks for confirming my presumption…our current $800 SBC is part of a booking promotion & thus would be lost switching to SM.

By switching to SM we’d lose $800 of SBC in addition to the extra $1,000 cruise fare increase for our 15 day cruise (all amounts used are per couple). The $1,000 fare increase & $1,000 tours credit are a push. Losing our current $800 SBC to get their beer/wine/champagne at lunch & dinner plan (and maybe a 2nd WiFi connection) would be equivalent to paying $53/day/couple instead of what I’m seeing in my reservation at $79.90/day/couple.

We’ll continue to crunch our numbers & read about others experiences but for us it appears SM would be a push if we wanted the tour credit & drink package which is unlikely for us & would stay with our cruise only booking & $800 SBC…thanks for sharing your insights.

Crunching the numbers and looking at overall picture is the only way to evaluate current booked cruises - in the future decision will be easy...with air or no air.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Coach Tom said:

Folks, anyone called Azamara lately?? Their service went right to the bottom.Hold times of 1-2 hours, or hangups.After an hour on hold I got a message "please call back tomorrow when we will be in" !! Not kidding -- go look at the cruise critic forum for their world cruise, many, many complaints. I used to be an Azamara fan!

The handwriting was on the wall when Azamarawas purchased for a song by Sycamore Partners.

26 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

Yes for 2 or $3,699 pp. All info listed prior but here it is again, A2 Vista 12 day Caribbean in November. However, why is sailing or ship important?  Number of days determines daily new cost. Bottom line is our cruise is now $900 pp or $1,800 more.  Sailing, ship, etc. is of no importance…New price is $75 pp daily or $150 daily for 2. 
$1800 more for excursion credit and beer/wine and 2nd connection is no value. We have $700 SBC and using that up in 12 days is more than enough.

If this is the case, then this is an anomaly. Typical increase for OV or veranda is $40-45. Some other people checked the prices and confirmed it.

3 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

There's a 25% built in if you book 5 or.more. Same as it was before. 

Perhaps a poor choice of wording.

It was never “5 or more” (which suggests “at least five”).

In O Life, each itinerary had a specific minimum and I assume this will be the case with Simply More where the minimum for this YWYW replacement will be listed on page one of the shore excursions PDF and in the online Cart.

BTW: the new tours credit is for any tour purchase. It will be subtracted from your bottom line of tour purchases after application of any qualifying minimum purchase (whether it’s required to be five or six or whatever). Remember too that the minimum requirement number is “per person.”

• Like 2

Just now, cruisemom42 said:

So.......another thing that's not "simplified".

???  It is the same excursion package as before that gave you a discount if you booked a certain number of cruises .....book a few , no discount.....book several and receive a discount.....purchase unlimited package and book all you want.  When you are done choosing what works for you, your SM shore excursion credit is deducted and you pay the difference.   Nothing has changed.

• Like 1

Simply MORE is nothing more than simply requiring all passengers to pay for the price of:

-Old OLife premium (except what you "get out of it" for shore excursions is most likely less, depending on how they decide to price their excursions in the future).

and

-Beverage package

and

-Wifi package for the second passenger

Before July 1, these were meant to be an optional add-on.  Now, they are all bundled into the total price.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, basor said:

???  It is the same excursion package as before that gave you a discount if you booked a certain number of cruises .....book a few , no discount.....book several and receive a discount.....purchase unlimited package and book all you want.  When you are done choosing what works for you, your SM shore excursion credit is deducted and you pay the difference.   Nothing has changed.

Yes. I'm just suggesting that if O's purpose in rolling out "Simply More" was to simplify their current offerings, this doesn't exactly do the trick, neh?

As a first time O cruiser, figuring out all the ins and outs of what's offered in O life, how to get the best value out of various options, etc. was a bit of a learning curve. Initially it was mentioned that "Simply More" was supposed to make it easier...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes. I'm just suggesting that if O's purpose in rolling out "Simply More" was to simplify their current offerings, this doesn't exactly do the trick, neh?

As a first time O cruiser, figuring out all the ins and outs of what's offered in O life, how to get the best value out of various options, etc. was a bit of a learning curve. Initially it was mentioned that "Simply More" was supposed to make it easier...

Still don't understand - you would prefer that they do not offer any discount for booking more excursions or offering an all in excursion package?    SM does simplify it though by giving a bottom line credit rather than trying to figure out which excursion fits the OLife perk of so many shore excursions included pricing.    As you said, figuring out the OLife excursion option was a learning curve and this has now been eliminated.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

Agree 100%, it really doesn’t matter if it was a sale or not, the price you paid pre SM is the price paid, period. Just like prices now reflect the SM and Olife doesn’t matter, it simply comes down to the numbers and for many we’re happy with pre SM but if it works for others then great.

Options are abound, no one is tethered to ANY cruise provider and I’m glad to have a few others until I win Powerball and then private yacht! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, basor said:

Still don't understand - you would prefer that they do not offer any discount for booking more excursions or offering an all in excursion package?    SM does simplify it though by giving a bottom line credit rather than trying to figure out which excursion fits the OLife perk of so many shore excursions included pricing.    As you said, figuring out the OLife excursion option was a learning curve and this has now been eliminated.

Just suggesting that if one of their goals was to simplify the system and attract new cruisers, this ain't it. I'm assuming O wants to attract new cruisers to the line, not simply market to the existing ones...

• Like 1

Booked a Vista cruise 6 months ago cruise only. got $400 obc

When I looked at Simply more, the price was $750pp more than when I booked. That was the no air option.

We don't drink or seldom take ship excursions.  Oceania ship excursions are often not good.

I am guessing that our Vista cruise will be our last O cruise.  Prices are too high.

If people resist the new higher prices, you may see lower prices return. It's supply and demand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, vtgumby said:

Agree 100%, it really doesn’t matter if it was a sale or not, the price you paid pre SM is the price paid, period. Just like prices now reflect the SM and Olife doesn’t matter, it simply comes down to the numbers and for many we’re happy with pre SM but if it works for others then great.

Options are abound, no one is tethered to ANY cruise provider and I’m glad to have a few others until I win Powerball and then private yacht! 😉

You still don't get it.

There are two questions here:

Question # 1. Is the new SM price better than my booked cruise? To answer this question, you compare the new SM price with the price you originally paid, and then decide if it's beneficial to swith to SM.

Question # 2. What is the real price increase of SM? To answer this question, you need to compare the full price of cruise only on May 31 with the new SM price.

That's it. Two SIMPLE questions. SIMPLE math.

9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Just suggesting that if one of their goals was to simplify the system and attract new cruisers, this ain't it. I'm assuming O wants to attract new cruisers to the line, not simply market to the existing ones...

What solution would you suggest that would simplify the shore excursion system for new and old cruisers?

1 minute ago, ak1004 said:

You still don't get it.

There are two questions here:

Question # 1. Is the new SM price better than my booked cruise? To answer this question, you compare the new SM price with the price you originally paid, and then decide if it's beneficial to swith to SM.

Question # 2. What is the real price increase of SM? To answer this question, you need to compare the full price of cruise only on May 31 with the new SM price.

That's it. Two SIMPLE questions. SIMPLE math.

Let’s stop this silliness. YOU do you and number crunch and decide your value of your cruise. Others of us HAVE crunched the numbers and don’t like the added ‘value’ or cost for unused amenities.

It really is simple math and yet you refuse to understand so let’s just end this although it is fun for other CC readers to watch these stupid exchanges, I’ve enjoyed following a few in the past.

You will enjoy your $45 per day increase, I will not and therefore not ‘upgrade’ to SM on the two booked and in the future will see if O offers me the value I seek. This has become too personal for you so don’t fret, O isn’t going bankrupt (I hope as a stockholder) and you’re going to enjoy your added perks. I’m personally hoping for the cruise only fare to come back, time will tell. Until then, happy with my two earlier booked cruises and we’ll see about the future.

Now go crunch someone else’s numbers or volunteer at a food pantry, you’re getting way too crazed about other peoples cruises! 😉

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, basor said:

What solution would you suggest that would simplify the shore excursion system for new and old cruisers?

Offer one price for all and allow use of OBC to book. Don't offer discounts, don't offer packages, don't include them as part of the fare.

Seems simple enough. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

Offer one price for all and allow use of OBC to book. Don't offer discounts, don't offer packages, don't include them as part of the fare.

Seems simple enough. 

Thank you for your idea - so shore excursion are one price and there is no discount for booking several.  Still include the SBC for shore excursions and it comes off bottom line as is the case now.  

14 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hm - I think there are two different 'how complicated' paths and I know I'm confusing and blending them!

Path 1, a new booking - here Simply More does seem simpler than old O-Life.

Old version 4 choices of fare basis and for 2 of those, another choice of 3 amenities, and also some air choices. Choice one, fare basis, cruise only, or air only, or O-Life only, or O-Life + air. Choice two, if selecting O-Life, which of the 3 amenities - set number of excursions, OBC to use on anything onboard, or house beverage package. Air one way or both, any deviations etc

New version 2 choices of fare basis and also some air choices. Fare basis either SimplyMore with air or Simply more without air. No change for air (one way or both, any deviations etc)

Path 2, an existing booking. Figuring out whether to switch into Simply More is Simply-a-lot-of-Details! What your in-force fare is, and what OBC or amenities that came with, vs. new SM fair and its amenities - there are a lot of moving parts and depending on your habits and goals the same math may lead to different folks making different choices.

Example: if you don't now have the drinks package, and the change to SM would cost less than adding the drinks package - if you are a drinker, you may not change because it's no deal for you. If you are a drinker you may happily change. If you are a drinker but you don't like O tours, you might not change because you want to keep (lower) OBC you could use on bottles of wine, etc and not take on new (higher) SM $ that can be used only for excursions

I think Simply More is less complicated than O-Life, and also less flexible.

For us it's a forced price increase vs old cruise-only. Even after the price increase O pricing is attractive enough to not drop O, but it does mean there are fewer compelling (that is cheap) voyages.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Perhaps a poor choice of wording.

It was never “5 or more” (which suggests “at least five”).

In O Life, each itinerary had a specific minimum and I assume this will be the case with Simply More where the minimum for this YWYW replacement will be listed on page one of the shore excursions PDF and in the online Cart.

BTW: the new tours credit is for any tour purchase. It will be subtracted from your bottom line of tour purchases after application of any qualifying minimum purchase (whether it’s required to be five or six or whatever). Remember too that the minimum requirement number is “per person.”

Yes to add to this I found with my cruise in January 2024 that I'd already booked with 4 free shore excursions per person the $199 limit not longer applied.  I can book a shore excursion for over $200 and it will show up as free.  I hope they don't "fix" this for currently booked cruises before the change.  I guess for me I should get the shore excursions booked now...

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We agree with your thinking about "value" as opposed to cost.  So what is the best value in cruising?  We think it varies from cruise to cruise.  For example, from our point of view MSC" Yacht Club is, by far, the best value for those wanting to take a 1-3 week Caribbean cruise.  For many other cruises we think that Seabourn offers the best "value"...especially when you can find a voyage priced at under $500 per person/day (keep in mind that SB is truly all-inclusive without any shore excursions).  

We can also find a lot of "value" in some Princess cruises, and an upcoming Explora Journeys cruise was a terrific value at under $500 per person day (assuming that this new luxury line lives up to most of the hype).  We will continue to give "O" consideration but have yet to cost out the "value" with the new pricing.  When we do "value" analysis we simply look at the price per person/day in terms of quality and inclusions.  This does give an advantage to CCL products because of their decent Biz Class air pricing (which can be done on-line via their proprietary search engine).  As an example, when we cruised Seabourn to Europe (last year) our cruise ended in Monte Carlo.  But we were able to use SB's Air to purchase one-way Biz Class from Prague (where we had earlier flown from Nice) to EWR for about $1000.  We recently flew to Tokyo from IAD on Biz Class (British Air to JAL) for $2100 (using HAL's online booking engine which is the same as Princess and SB).  None of these lines charge any kind of custom air fee and they easily allow folks to choose their own airports (which do not have to be the same as the embarkation/debarkation places).

Hank

Hank 

I did not know this about SB air. Great information. Thank you. 
I need to check into this. Wonder if they allow miles to be used for upgrade.