Hot Lobster rolls

con3

Hello, We are going on a Canada/NE cruise in September. I have never had a lobster roll and really want to try a few really good ones. I don't think we want the ones with mayo so looking for places that have good hot butter ones! We will be in Newport RI, Boston, Bar Harbor, Sain John and Halifax. Would love any 1st hand experience and photos would really be a plus! Thanks

Connie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, con3 said:

Hello, We are going on a Canada/NE cruise in September. I have never had a lobster roll and really want to try a few really good ones. I don't think we want the ones with mayo so looking for places that have good hot butter ones! We will be in Newport RI, Boston, Bar Harbor, Sain John and Halifax. Would love any 1st hand experience and photos would really be a plus! Thanks

Connie

The restaurants in NY area call a Lobster Roll with Butter - Connecticut Lobster Roll

We always go to Salty's in Halifax but they have a Mayo one.

• Like 1

Try Neptune Oyster in the North End of Boston for the best hot buttered lobster roll. And their New England clam chowder is out of this world. Neptune Oyster was on the New York Times best restaurant list last year. The North end is Boston’s Little Italy.  While you are there, pick up a cannoli at Mikes Pasty!  Easy to take a cab or Uber there from the port. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 11:40 AM, 1025cruise said:

Sorry, a lobster roll is lobster mixed with a bit of mayo served on a split hot dog bun. That other sandwich is something else. You might find one in Newport, but it will be tough to find one in Maine.

I've looked at several restaraunts in bar Harbor that say tradional and also hot buttered, but not all have both. Just wondering if anyone had any favorite spots

On 6/17/2023 at 3:28 PM, mets123 said:

Try Yankee Seafood in Boston, it's about 3 blocks from where the ship docks. Just check out their website for all the info you need.

Thanks! 

On 6/18/2023 at 10:17 PM, Ellis1138 said:

Several restaurants in Bar Harbor have both the traditional cold mayo lobster roll and the warm butter Connecticut roll. I saw a few while perusing restaurants.

So many places to choose from!

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 10:21 PM, tinaclose said:

Try Neptune Oyster in the North End of Boston for the best hot buttered lobster roll. And their New England clam chowder is out of this world. Neptune Oyster was on the New York Times best restaurant list last year. The North end is Boston’s Little Italy.  While you are there, pick up a cannoli at Mikes Pasty!  Easy to take a cab or Uber there from the port. 

Thanks! Sounds good

On 6/17/2023 at 10:07 AM, con3 said:

Connie

Dave’s Lobster on the Boardwalk in Halifax offers the mayo style as well as the hot butter style. It’s within walking distance from the ship.

We’re going there in September as well and that will be our first stop.

Just an option.

Randy

On 6/17/2023 at 10:40 AM, 1025cruise said:

Sorry, a lobster roll is lobster mixed with a bit of mayo served on a split hot dog bun. That other sandwich is something else. You might find one in Newport, but it will be tough to find one in Maine.

I have only had the pleasure of eating 1 lobster roll.  But, I could have sworn it was just butter and lobster!

1 minute ago, alrose251 said:

I have only had the pleasure of eating 1 lobster roll.  But, I could have sworn it was just butter and lobster!

Lobster Roll with Mayo is a Regular Lobster Roll

Lobster Roll with Melted Butter is a Connecticut  Lobster Roll

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Lobster Roll with Mayo is a Regular Lobster Roll

Lobster Roll with Melted Butter is a Connecticut  Lobster Roll

All I know is the menu said lobster roll and it was delicious!!😁 I dislike mayo!🙁

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, alrose251 said:

All I know is the menu said lobster roll and it was delicious!!😁 I dislike mayo!🙁

We get the cold mayo one "hold the mayo".

If someone wants hot buttered lobster they should order a lobster or a lobster casserole

3 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

We get the cold mayo one "hold the mayo".

If someone wants hot buttered lobster they should order a lobster or a lobster casserole

I don't understand this logic.  Why would I order a cold lobster roll when hot buttered lobster rolls are available.  I understand not all places serves the hot buttered ones, but some places do!

10 minutes ago, alrose251 said:

I don't understand this logic.  Why would I order a cold lobster roll when hot buttered lobster rolls are available.  I understand not all places serves the hot buttered ones, but some places do!

Depends on if you want to taste Lobster or Butter, I guess.

I never add butter to my lobster, no matter how it is prepared.  I like the taste of Lobster!

2 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Depends on if you want to taste Lobster or Butter, I guess.

I never add butter to my lobster, no matter how it is prepared.  I like the taste of Lobster!

I would rather taste lobster and butter instead of lobster and mayo any day!!

• Like 4

On 6/30/2023 at 11:41 AM, alrose251 said:

I would rather taste lobster and butter instead of lobster and mayo any day!!

Then order your lobster roll without any mayo and you've got the perfect meal!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am born and raised in Connecticut, and a Lobster Roll is cold lobster salad with mayo! They are so common, my local supermarket sells them. DW, who I transplanted from New York, thinks the Hot Buttered ones are the real deal...she is incorrect!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2023 at 9:21 PM, tinaclose said:

Next to the Neptune Oyster (or a couple doors down) is Pauli's, a "hole in the wall" local place with WONDERFUL lobster rolls, both cold and hot! We were there in May, and the hot was $29, I think, but cheaper than the one on the menu at Neptune. You can sit at a counter or get it to go, and walk a block to the Rose Kennedy Greenway for an al fresco lunch.

I’ve never seen a “hot lobster” roll, at least not in Maine.  The butter will be melted and warm, if you choose that style (which oftentimes is called Connecticut style here - but if AFS1970 says that is mis named-I’ll defer to him) or if you choose Maine style it will have a little mayo - but you shouldn’t see the mayo - it just adds a little something.  It might have chives or a little lettuce on it.  But the lobster meat itself is always cold.  They are not cooking the lobster to order - they have to hand pick the meat which they will do when it cools down a bit.  And I wouldn’t want my lobster meat reheated - so I think if I saw a hot lobster roll on a menu I would skip it.