Ember on Vista

jjwoben1

3 hours ago, jjwoben1 said:

From those of you that have been on Ember: impressions?

On Vista now. Embers compares to an upscale American chain restaurant like J. Alexander or P. F. Chang’s serving you in Des Moines. Strictly American food and in and out in 1-1:15 hours. Popular with some, ho hum with others. I haven’t heard of anyone clamoring for a second reservation there. I do believe it will have a following. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

On Vista now. Embers compares to an upscale American chain restaurant like J. Alexander or P. F. Chang’s serving you in Des Moines. Strictly American food and in and out in 1-1:15 hours. Popular with some, ho hum with others. I haven’t heard of anyone clamoring for a second reservation there. I do believe it will have a following. 

Doesn’t sound like a worthy successor to Jacques… 

• Like 7

Since we have never dined in Des Moines, we will have to equate Ember to a Cheesecake Factory for an upscale Bistro type dining. Definitely a different vibe and a noisier venue. We found it good, but certainly not an Oceania Specialty restaurant. Ember should become a walk in lunch and dinner restaurant, forget the reservations, just come and go as you will from perhaps 11 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. It will be interesting to see how it evolves by October when we are back aboard Vista and Oceania has had some time to evaluate its acceptance with the thousands of critiques. Food was OK, maybe a B to B- IMHO. 

We have not seen much written about the Aquamar Kitchen.  Again, IMHO, the jury should still be out on it being a hit or miss. An OK place to stop for a healthier, lite bite without venturing into the Terrace Cafe and the Oceania version of a crowd. It will be interesting to see who it appeals to.  We ate there once mid morning after a time change /alarm faux paux.  We were on a 7 Day cruise and wanted to try every restaurant once to get a feeling for Vista and her changes. I would probably go with a B- as well, JMHO. 

As I misdirect this topic again, We really loved the casual atmosphere and quick coffee and pastry fare of Barista’s. DEFINITELY an A.  The Bakery is great and offers a classy little Starbucks type eatery with far better quality of everything. Gosh, maybe even some great taste in those infamous “tasteless” Oceania cookies 🤪🤙😇, JMHO again. 

Have a great Father’s Day all and Enjoy 

Mauibabes

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We thought the food was outstanding at Embers. We were disappointed with Polo Steak house, ordered a ribeye at Polo's and it was the smallest steak I had seen served, very disappointing. Ordered a Ribeye at Embers that was excellent. It is more casual, we found the servers very friendly and the atmosphere was casual but nice. 

4 hours ago, mauibabes said:

Since we have never dined in Des Moines, we will have to equate Ember to a Cheesecake Factory for an upscale Bistro type dining. Definitely a different vibe and a noisier venue. We found it good, but certainly not an Oceania Specialty restaurant. Ember should become a walk in lunch and dinner restaurant, forget the reservations, just come and go as you will from perhaps 11 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. It will be interesting to see how it evolves by October when we are back aboard Vista and Oceania has had some time to evaluate its acceptance with the thousands of critiques. Food was OK, maybe a B to B- IMHO. 

Have a great Father’s Day all and Enjoy 

Mauibabes

Come and go as we please from 11am to 9pm would make Ember a more distinctly American dining experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We did not like Embers at all. The decor is lovely though. The food ho-hum and it was so noisy we couldn't hear anyone. I get the concept but as others have said a poor substitute for Jacques. It's more of a casual lunch type place, me thinks. We loved Aquamar though, but we enjoy that type of food. They are still working our some kinks in the service but overall it was our favorite lunch place if we were on the ship and much quieter than Waves! 

Someone we were dining with did enjoy the steak in Embers though and said it was the best they had had on the ship. 

• Like 1

I don’t follow the management reasoning of changing the French-Italian-Asian-Steak/American foursome of specialties into a foursome of Italian-Asian-Steak/American-Steak/American.  The Oceania site itself recommends a dinner of crabcake, beet salad and grilled ribeye as the example of an great Ember experience; how did they not say “oh, wait, that’s the Polo experience also!”

1. Teach the bakers to mix the cookie dough soft ingredients first, then fold in the dry ingredients. 
2. Replace the plonk that is Germain Champagne. 
3.  Turn Embers back into Jacques.

My new mantra of Oceania helpful and constructive suggestions. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

We found the food at Ember to be quite unexciting/dull and it was also very noisy - the ceiling panels bounced all the noise back down again.

Tried it twice, then cancelled the third reservation - the Terrace was a much better option.

• Like 4

I had a little mixed emotions about Ember. Food was not up to par with the other specialty restaurants.

I love Aquamar Kitchen. I even tried the vegan burger (although I´m not vegan) and it was delicious. The avocado toasts are great. For a lighter, healthier fare or a late lunch it´s a wonderful place. But they need to get the wind out of it.

A great addition is also Waves as a pizza and burrata place for the evening.

steamboats

• Like 3

Sorry to go off Embers topic, but has anyone on a Vista Concierge extended balcony cabin had loungers on them?  Heard none provided on several previous Vista cruises 

Thanks so much!

On topic, for a cruise line touted for its food, what were they thinking eliminating Jacques for a casual noisy venue?  We have JR Alexanders here…it’s casual, average food and noisy. We switched a Caribbean cruise from Vista to Marina….similar itinerary and Jacques.  

3 hours ago, Jayne E said:

Sorry to go off Embers topic, but has anyone on a Vista Concierge extended balcony cabin had loungers on them?  Heard none provided on several previous Vista cruises 

Thanks so much!

On topic, for a cruise line touted for its food, what were they thinking eliminating Jacques for a casual noisy venue?  We have JR Alexanders here…it’s casual, average food and noisy. We switched a Caribbean cruise from Vista to Marina….similar itinerary and Jacques.  

1. If they put Jacques name on a new restaurant, they owe Pepin continuing additional royalties.

2. Some of the current passengers have stated they are pleased having a sit down service venue of simple American food. They emphasized simple and American. 

Still haven’t heard of anyone aboard asking for a second reservation.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jayne E said:

On topic, for a cruise line touted for its food, what were they thinking eliminating Jacques for a casual noisy venue? 

As Jacques Pepin has reached a certain age he´s not doing any new restaurants onboard. But regarding the fact how the announced Ember I was expecting a little bit more...

steamboats

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steamboats said:

As Jacques Pepin has reached a certain age he´s not doing any new restaurants onboard. But regarding the fact how the announced Ember I was expecting a little bit more...

steamboats

Based on what you and others are saying steamboats I don't think I shall book Ember.  So that makes 2 restaurants we don't eat at -- Embers and Toscana.   (I hate the portion sizes in Toscana and the preponderance of tomato based sauce. )   

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

.   (I hate the portion sizes in Toscana and the preponderance of tomato based sauce. )   

You can ask for larger or smaller portions

Ask  for something without tomato  sauce  or less of it  if that is the issue

I have a sensitivity  to tomato sauce  in small amounts I am ok  but things like  lasagna  I get a reaction

Just  a thought

10 hours ago, steamboats said:

steamboats

We were too....a cafe setting OK but with more ambience and elegance as the norm on O dining venues, not a chain style venue.  Hearing that some have refused additional visits there says it all!!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

You can ask for larger or smaller portions

Ask  for something without tomato  sauce  or less of it  if that is the issue

I have a sensitivity  to tomato sauce  in small amounts I am ok  but things like  lasagna  I get a reaction

Just  a thought

Thanks for the suggestion.  Problem is we are used to really northern Italian cuisine.  Piedmonte etc.  (Near where we live in Switzerland).   The tomatos based dishes are mostly from the Mezzogiorno.  Southern Italy.   However I did see when looking at a Toscana menu that they had some things that interest us - like the fresh octopus carpaccio etc.     I think we will give it another try.

Reading other reviews I really do not see why they can't scrap Embers and put Jacques back ...  Jacques is a sure hit and most of us love it!  Embers seems to be missing the mark.

• Like 2

I guess my personal disappointment is that the Ember concept just seems like someone didn't even try to come up with something more interesting for us North Americans.  We can get this menu just about anywhere in these parts.    I mean, off the top of my head, why not a Spanish tapas type concept.  Maybe another bistro type French restaurant instead of Jacques if licensing is a problem.  Or a high end Indian experience.  I'll definitely try it of course but the lack of imagination is perplexing.

Edited by PirateShark
  • Like 8

19 minutes ago, PirateShark said:

I guess my personal disappointment is that the Ember concept just seems like someone didn't even try to come up with something more interesting for us North Americans.  We can get this menu just about anywhere in these parts.    I mean, off the top of my head, why not a Spanish tapas type concept.  Maybe another bistro type French restaurant instead of Jacques if licensing is a problem.  Or a high end Indian experience.  I'll definitely try it of course but the lack of imagination is perplexing.

Maybe the target audience is not North Americans...and maybe some North Americans would like to have a sit down respite from the other cuisines. 

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Maybe the target audience is not North Americans...and maybe some North Americans would like to have a sit down respite from the other cuisines. 

I don't disagree with this assessment that Ember would be attractive to others for a multitude of reasons.   As food is subjective, we each have our own palates.  I'm just expressing mine as mine alone and contrasting what I have available here at home vs my desire to have different on vacation.  In any case, our cruises will be enjoyable as neither of us has to cook and do the dishes 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PirateShark said:

I've been wondering if the Ember concept is just a temporary "holding pattern" until O forms a partnership with a chef or some other brand. I also like to eat things that aren't readily available at home (or that are subpar) and that I won't normally cook. I've often thought, "I should try making a souffle" but it's never happened, so we tried some dessert souffles (didn't see the others) last week...yum! (Although my spouse said the strawberry souffle tasted like booberry cereal 🤪👻)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hey, wait folks.  I never said it was not good food, it was good.  IMHO it is not an Oceania Specialty restaurant befitting the need for a Reservation. Guests we ate with liked their meals and the different menu items. You can not eat 2-3  “RICH” meals everyday, so why not enjoy a good meal, just not a great meal like those offered in the other Specialty restaurants. There are a number of very good menu items and believe me, no one stopped eating the triple chocolate desert that arrived at our table. 
Like I said before, it would be a great 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 walk in full service restaurant that would also be a popular lunch spot, especially after 2:00 p.m. when the TC closes. I know, Waves is open but why not Ember? Staffing could be an issue however 🤞

I am sure, lots more comments to come as Vista gets more sailings under her belt and the Culinary Director’s have a chance to analyze the the surveys.  
Just Enjoy it all,

Mauibabes 

• Like 2

I'm sure the food is up to snuff for Oceania.  Well prepared, good ingredients etc.  I'll be able to taste for myself shortly but I think as you alluded to, it maybe a concept that is better suited to no reservations/walk-in/extended hours.  Time will tell.  As for rich foods (which we love) O is pretty good at offering items in the GDR and TC that you can mix and match to get healthier options for dinner.  And now Aquamar too for breakfast and lunch which is where we generally go light anyway.  That part of mixing it up I can say I personally do more often than not and leave the specialties as "special".  Being on 30 days this upcoming trip, I will be mixing it up a lot and indulging sporadically.  Wish me luck 😁

Edited by PirateShark
  • Like 1