Currently on the Enchantment of the Seas

It has been a minute since we last cruised on RCI and I am not sure if its me but has the service deteriorated significantly from let say 10 yrs ago?

Is housekeeping not supposed to tidy up the room daily and bring the daily planners?

When we embarked the room was ready, beds were made (except my DDs) and bathroom was clean however there were hairs everywhere, windows and mirrors were dirty, floors were not well vacuumed.

Our room steward was nowhere in sight, finally later in the evening my DD saw her and asked her to make the bed.

Today there was nobody in sight

Have things changed that I am not aware?

13 minutes ago, purplethorn said:

It has been a minute since we last cruised on RCI and I am not sure if its me but has the service deteriorated significantly from let say 10 yrs ago?

Is housekeeping not supposed to tidy up the room daily and bring the daily planners?

When we embarked the room was ready, beds were made (except my DDs) and bathroom was clean however there were hairs everywhere, windows and mirrors were dirty, floors were not well vacuumed.

Our room steward was nowhere in sight, finally later in the evening my DD saw her and asked her to make the bed.

Welcome to post Covid RCI. 

• Like 2

Do we have to ask now for the room to be cleaned? And daily planners to be delivered?

We even had to go to guest services to get my daughter’s muster bracelet , i remember being it in the room in prior cruises 

19 minutes ago, purplethorn said:

Maybe your room is to be cleaned in the evening.  It's only once per day now.  You will have to ask for a Cruise Compass on paper.  If you are unhappy, you can call housekeeping or go to Guest Services.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, purplethorn said:

No.  We've been on EN 5 times in the last two years out of Baltimore and our rooms were always spotless and since we were in a JS, we did get twice a day service, but no issues at all.  We saw our steward and others every morning and evening, either in the hallway or in other cabins.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, moposh said:

Maybe your room is to be cleaned in the evening.  It's only once per day now.  You will have to ask for a Cruise Compass on paper.  If you are unhappy, you can call housekeeping or go to Guest Services.

It's twice a day for JS and above.  We were onboard in April and our friends who were in an ocean view still were getting twice a day.  We were in a JS.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

On Enchantment a few weeks ago, our steward asked on the first day if we wanted morning or evening cleaning. They always left us a paper Compass - they are trying to encourage people to use their phones to see the compass to save paper.  That's how things are now! 

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies, I did not want to complain to guest services in case things have changed. I am perfectly fine with cleaning once a day or even every other day, but the room was not up to par with what we are used to. Enchantment is an older ship so i was expecting wear and tear but clean

• Like 1

We sailed on Enchantment five times in 2022-23.  Service was excellent.  Many of the crew we spoke to wanted to stay in Baltimore, but were kept on the ship for the Med.  Of course, all our observations are based on the individual cabin stewards, MDR servers, etc. that we are served by. One poor one will certainly color our experience, so I'm glad you asked here.

I agree with many of the above that some elements have changed, but not necessarily deteriorated. Cabin servicing is now once a day.  Paper planners might need to be requested.

We've never, ever, had a cabin that was anything other than spotless!

• Like 1

I just started cruising last year, but I notice that many times people have issues that could have been easily addressed if they mentioned them to staff. For the cabin, I keep a small note pad on the table to write down issues/requests. They do have more cabins to keep track of than before, they are not as likely to be nearby for you to talk to them every day.

Edited by goldfish65
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

I just started cruising last year, but I notice that many times people have issues that could have been easily addressed if they mentioned them to staff. For the cabin, I keep a small note pad on the table to write down issues/requests. They do have more cabins to keep track of than before, they are not as likely to be nearby for you to talk to them every day.

Helpful point! I’ll make sure to ask the cabin attendant to remove unwanted pubic hair from the bathroom floor and crumbs from the previous passengers next time I board. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

Helpful point! I’ll make sure to ask the cabin attendant to remove unwanted pubic hair from the bathroom floor and crumbs from the previous passengers next time I board. 

Why not? Find an easily solution rather than being scornful. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

Why not? Find an easily solution rather than being scornful. 

I think kruzerci is scornful because what you suggested was entirely unreasonable and truthfully scorn worthy.

It's not acceptable to not have a room 'properly' cleaned before new passengers occupy it.

The state of the bathroom sounds truly disgusting- I don't want to see my own pubic hairs in my bathroom, let alone those of someone else!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, purplethorn said:

bathroom was clean however there were hairs everywhere, windows and mirrors were dirty, floors were not well vacuumed.

That's not clean! I would have been on the phone to GS immediately reporting this and demanding it be taken care of ASAP.  I (we) would have been suspicious of other things that might not be cleaned properly. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, davekathy said:

That's not clean! I would have been on the phone to GS immediately reporting this and demanding it be taken care of ASAP.  I (we) would have bene suspicious of other things that might not cleaned properly. 

Same here.   Definitely would have made the call as soon as I saw those hairs.   Gross!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kruzerci said:

I have to ask for a friend

If on boarding day you found pubes and crumbs in your bed and your steward was nowhere to be seen

This is just for you and a possible scenario that could never happen to you

what would you do

a. Nothing 

b. Nothing because it never happens

c. Nothing because you never complain

d. Nothing because service is perfect

e. Order New Pom Poms

f. email Mr Bayley and tell him

g. Clean it al up yourself because your attendant is too busy

h. actually complain as you paid for a clean room with perfect service and shouldn’t have to put up with mess

Everyone should get a clean room on boarding it’s part of the cost included in your cruise fare 

would you except that at any land hotel

My friend is intrigued 

FYI… it’s alll Utopia today so I’m just killing time and having fun 🤩 

Edited by PompeySailor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, goldfish65 said:

That's between the employee and RC. Not my problem. Doing more with less doesn't mean not doing their job. 

• Like 4

It amazes me the people that defend the staff, when the company made a change that directly effects the customers experience 

You pay for X you should still get X level of service 

regardless of a companies cutbacks 

it astonishes me when people think it is ok to get sub par service and not complain 

And still tip, when your not even getting the baseline service, it’s bonkers 🤯

That’s when a company think they are doing ok as all the feedback they get is Pom Poms and 10’s 

When in reality as we read on here sometimes it is not so rosy and shiny.

There are a few who cannot smell the roses and stuff never ever happens to them, so how could such bad things ever happen 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, davekathy said:

That's not clean! I would have been on the phone to GS immediately reporting this and demanding it be taken care of ASAP.  I (we) would have been suspicious of other things that might not be cleaned properly. 

The crumbs and pubic hair incident actually did happen on the Serenade this year. 

I called guest services immediately. They said somebody would be up to clean. 

About two hours later I went down because it was not yet cleaned. Rather than apologizing, they said they had no record of me calling and that I must have called somebody else. 

A cleaning manager came up to the room to inspect and said “I am here to inspect your stateroom, I heard there was a little dust in your cabin”. I emphatically told him no, there was pubic hair on the floor, in a hand towel, and crumbs on the floor beside the bed. 

He half heartedly apologized and somebody came to clean it. That was the last I ever heard of it. 

It really made me wonder if they even vacuum or just pick up the big pieces. Much less the level of “cleaning” they are doing. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

The crumbs and pubic hair incident actually did happen on the Serenade this year. 

I called guest services immediately. They said somebody would be up to clean. 

About two hours later I went down because it was not yet cleaned. Rather than apologizing, they said they had no record of me calling and that I must have called somebody else. 

A cleaning manager came up to the room to inspect and said “I am here to inspect your stateroom, I heard there was a little dust in your cabin”. I emphatically told him no, there was pubic hair on the floor, in a hand towel, and crumbs on the floor beside the bed. 

He half heartedly apologized and somebody came to clean it. That was the last I ever heard of it. 

It really made me wonder if they even vacuum or just pick up the big pieces. Much less the level of “cleaning” they are doing. 

We always keep our expectations low but not when it comes to cleaning. Especially the cabin bathroom and more importantly on TAD. It would be noted as a big fat "0" on our PCS. 

As far as leaving notes, we do that for extra hangers or ice. Not cleaning. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PompeySailor said:

I have to ask for a friend

If on boarding day you found pubes and crumbs in your bed and your steward was nowhere to be seen

This is just for you and a possible scenario that could never happen to you

what would you do

a. Nothing 

b. Nothing because it never happens

c. Nothing because you never complain

d. Nothing because service is perfect

e. Order New Pom Poms

f. email Mr Bayley and tell him

g. Clean it al up yourself because your attendant is too busy

h. actually complain as you paid for a clean room with perfect service and shouldn’t have to put up with mess

Everyone should get a clean room on boarding it’s part of the cost included in your cruise fare 

would you except that at any land hotel

My friend is intrigued 

FYI… it’s alll Utopia today so I’m just killing time and having fun 🤩 

You left out asking on CC before doing anything about it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

it astonishes me when people think it is ok to get sub par service and not complain 

And still tip, when your not even getting the baseline service, it’s bonkers 🤯

Only on Cruise Critic can a thread seamlessly transition from a spirited pubic hair discussion to a tipping debate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3