Price drop

ronheg

there is no such thing as over payment. after final payment they do not offer any refunds. they might give you some obc or a free upgrade depending on the price difference and it is a one thing only

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ronheg said:

We are 2 days before final payment

Call and ask for a price adjustment.   If they say no, hang up and call again.  You will receive a price adjustment; however, you would then have to take the current promotion and lose the one you had at your original booking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronheg said:

How will NCL pay us for our overpayment?

Technically you're not overpaying.  If you pay the fare without adjustment you're simply paying the fare you agreed to.  Are you paying more than someone that books today?  Sure are, but you're still paying the fare you agreed to.  If the fare increases, do you expect NCL to call you and tell you that you're under-paying and ask you to pay more?

What sometimes comes with price drops is changes in perks, be fully aware of the perks you're getting if you call for a re-fare.

As others said - call.  My cabin for my Escape cruise in March dropped by $100 just before final payment.  I called the day before it was due, got the price drop and the triple points promo added (the standard one per night plus two bonus) and made my final payment.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, ronheg said:

We have fully paid for our cruise.  We are 122 days from sailing and the price has dropped.  How will NCL pay us for our overpayment?

One option that may be available to you is to pay for a stateroom upgrade.  Let's say you paid for a Balcony at $4000 total.  The price has dropped to $3000, but the price of a Haven or Suite also has dropped from $8000 to $5000.  If you would be willing to splurge on the Haven, and assuming that a desirable room is available on your cruise, you could offer to change your reservation to the Haven.  You'll have to pay more, but you'll get a much nicer room and amenities for considerably less than you would have paid if you had booked the Haven originally.  As long as you end up paying a bit more, they usually will allow you to move up to a nicer stateroom.  As others have stated, though, many have reported having success in asking for a portion of the price drop to be returned to them as On Board Credit (OBC).  Whichever route works for you, it's worth the effort to ask NCL.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ronheg said:

We have fully paid for our cruise.  We are 122 days from sailing and the price has dropped.  How will NCL pay us for our overpayment?

Call NCL. 

It is not an overpayment. You paid the price you agreed to. 

You can try to get them to pay you the price difference. 

The fallback is to cancel and rebook. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, ronheg said:

We have fully paid for our cruise. 

We are 2 days before final payment.

This is an interesting scenario. Please let us know how NCL handles it when you call them.

How will NCL pay us for our overpayment?

As a number of others have said, there is no overpayment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RoundGuy2771 said:

This is an interesting scenario. Please let us know how NCL handles it when you call them.

Not really that unusual.  I explained in my previous reply that I called the day before final payment and got the price drop on my cabin (and the bump to 3 Latitudes points for cruising in a Studio!)

36 minutes ago, hallux said:

Not really that unusual.  I explained in my previous reply that I called the day before final payment and got the price drop on my cabin (and the bump to 3 Latitudes points for cruising in a Studio!)

But you hadn't made your final payment yet, like he has, right?

15 minutes ago, RoundGuy2771 said:

But you hadn't made your final payment yet, like he has, right?

That is irrelevant it only matters that he hasn’t reached the payment deadline. 

• Like 2

Just now, zqvol said:

That is irrelevant it only matters that he hasn’t reached the payment deadline. 

Ok, cool. I just found it interesting because in one case, NCL just changes the fare, but in the other case they have to actually give money back.

This happened to me once, just called my PCC, got a refund to my original form of payment.

But you do get the current promos so you could lose points - or gain more.  And airfare prices have increased in some cases.  Also, if you had a double up CN promo when you booked and you don't have a balcony, they will return the 2nd CNC to your account.

30 minutes ago, julig22 said:

This happened to me once, just called my PCC, got a refund to my original form of payment.

But you do get the current promos so you could lose points - or gain more.  And airfare prices have increased in some cases.  Also, if you had a double up CN promo when you booked and you don't have a balcony, they will return the 2nd CNC to your account.

I've never had a PCC, but every CSS I've worked with has been unexpectedly sharp and knowledgeable. I've only taken advantage of price drops before final payment date, and before I make my final payment. I always have the CSS read back to me all the promo codes on the change and match them to my current ones. If they are the same or better, great. If I'm losing something, I have to decide if the price drop is worth it.

I called NCL and received the price drop back to the NCL credit card.  It’s so close to final payment time that my price drop will appear on the same billing cycle on the credit card as the initial payment.  My amenities didn’t change.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ronheg said:

I called NCL and received the price drop back to the NCL credit card.  It’s so close to final payment time that my price drop will appear on the same billing cycle on the credit card as the initial payment.  My amenities didn’t change.

Happy to read you called and received the price drop.

On 6/21/2023 at 6:53 PM, hallux said:

For reservations made in the US, and most other locations other than the UK, as long as you have not made final payment there should be no problem with changing a booking to get a lower rate.  After final payment, however, there can be some complications.

20 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

For reservations made in the US, and most other locations other than the UK, as long as you have not made final payment there should be no problem with changing a booking to get a lower rate.  After final payment, however, there can be some complications.

Excuse my ignorance but why is the UK different please?

Just now, farringtonb said:

Excuse my ignorance but why is the UK different please?

I don't know for sure, but apparently they have some different consumer protection laws across the pond.  As a result, NCL seems to have different rules about cancelling or modifying a reservation once a deposit has been made.  Quite a few CC members from the UK have mentioned it in posts on other threads.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

I don't think it's just UK. I suspect it's EU. There is a cancellation fee of 20% from the start. And then it goes up in a couple of stages that I don't recall off hand (On the other hand, final payment for me (Sweden) is just 30 day from sailing.)

In the UK they won't adjust the price if it drops. We have booked our first NCL cruise and it dropped £400 after the scammy offer ended that we stupidly booked under not realising NCL run fake offers. We called them they said nothing they can do, so emailed the cruise consultant that never stops calling and emailing and he did nothing needless to say he's not been in touch since. 

4 minutes ago, Obobru said:

In the UK they won't adjust the price if it drops. We have booked our first NCL cruise and it dropped £400 after the scammy offer ended that we stupidly booked under not realising NCL run fake offers. We called them they said nothing they can do, so emailed the cruise consultant that never stops calling and emailing and he did nothing needless to say he's not been in touch since. 

Sorry to hear that but it doesn't surprise me about the cruise consultants.

12 hours ago, Obobru said:

Actually while it doesn’t work the same as the US, in the U.K., NCL I’ve found out will reprice a cruise as long as it’s over 60 days before sail date, for a charge of £35pp

Edited by rattla

13 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

I don't know for sure, but apparently they have some different consumer protection laws across the pond.  As a result, NCL seems to have different rules about cancelling or modifying a reservation once a deposit has been made.  Quite a few CC members from the UK have mentioned it in posts on other threads.

12 hours ago, Obobru said:

Actually while it doesn’t work the same as the US, in the U.K., NCL I’ve found out will reprice a cruise as long as it’s over 60 days before sail date, for a charge of £35pp.

you are right that generally in the U.K. companies don’t offer this, but it seems that NCL do have an option!

Edited by rattla