Please, please help me how do I resolve my problem and clear my name

esper10

4 minutes ago, ksmcdonald said:

I always wondered why Carnival can put a charge on your credit card and it shows up immediately, but it takes longer than 90 days to refund?  It is just a key stroke on their end. During the pandemic, just think of the interest Carnival was making holding on to many, many people’s fully paid cruise for months.  If they can charge your card immediately, then 5-7 business days should be sufficient to reimburse.  

Sounds good in theory, but not everyone books at once, but as cruises were all being cancelled due to the pandemic, it all hit at once. It is easy to see why they were overwhelmed.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ksmcdonald said:

I always wondered why Carnival can put a charge on your credit card and it shows up immediately, but it takes longer than 90 days to refund?  It is just a key stroke on their end. During the pandemic, just think of the interest Carnival was making holding on to many, many people’s fully paid cruise for months.  If they can charge your card immediately, then 5-7 business days should be sufficient to reimburse.  

Having worked virtually hundreds of these during and after the pandemic, t can tell you there is plenty of reasons why.  Not sure whre you get your timeframes from, but it is …..not even close to accurate or feasible.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Sounds good in theory, but not everyone books at once, but as cruises were all being cancelled due to the pandemic, it all hit at once. It is easy to see why they were overwhelmed.

Absolutely

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

Having worked virtually hundreds of these during and after the pandemic, t can tell you there is plenty of reasons why.  Not sure whre you get your timeframes from, but it is …..not even close to accurate or feasible.  

Anytime I’ve ever got a refund from a purchase, they tell you to look for the refund in 5-7 business days.  Carnival had $8,000 of my money for over 4 months, no excuse for that.   All three of my cruises were paid in full and all three cancelled. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Numerous airlines were fined 10s of millions of dollars for it.

...and the Federal Maritime Commission  amended its regulations governing non-performance by Passenger Vessel Operators in April 2022 specifically because of cruise line shenanigans related to refunds during the pandemic.

The changes -

1) cancelling or delaying a cruise more than 3 days is "non-performance" and entitles customers to a refund if they want it.

2) Refund includes all ancillary fees

3) You can claw back your refund by putting a claim on the cruise lines surety bond after 180 days.

"The changes define non-performance as cancelling a voyage or delaying a voyage by three or more calendar days if a passenger elects not to embark on delayed or substituted voyage offered by a PVO.  The Commission also changed its regulations to allow passengers of delayed or cancelled voyages to make direct claims against financial responsibility instruments, such as bonds, maintained by PVOs, after the passenger’s unsuccessful attempt to receive a refund directly from the PVOs.  Finally, the rule allows all fees, including ancillary fees, paid by a passenger to a PVO be eligible for a refund."

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ksmcdonald said:

Anytime I’ve ever got a refund from a purchase, they tell you to look for the refund in 5-7 business days.  Carnival had $8,000 of my money for over 4 months, no excuse for that.   All three of my cruises were paid in full and all three cancelled. 

So in your past history, were there 10’s of thousands of people all trying to do the same thing at the same time?  The covid and post covid was of course unprecedented and a series of events that no one saw coming and could not plan for.  Virtually thousands of calls all trying to get thru at the same time.   4 hour wait on hold, then you have to work thru the accounts, different credit cards used for different deposits, monies moved from ne cruise that gets canceled to another, tracking additional OBC to entice keeping money on the books, then repeat, then repeat then repeat.  The process went on and on.  The industry had to do this to stay afloat. At one point in time Carnival had almost 3 billion on deposits on the books they uses to keep from going under.

No other industry ever had to go thru this, no system would EVER have been built to handle this, to compare them to such is simply unfair.  

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

The industry had to do this to stay afloat. At one point in time Carnival had almost 3 billion on deposits on the books they uses to keep from going under.

So... Delaying refunds they could have given, to prop up their business.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, aborgman said:

Once you've qualified for a refund - that money is NOT Carnival money, and obviously isn't "owed" to them.

unless it is a non-refundable deposit 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ksmcdonald said:

I always wondered why Carnival can put a charge on your credit card and it shows up immediately, but it takes longer than 90 days to refund?

Same reason the credit card companies can post your purchases immediately but not your payments to them i suppose....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Cruise Lines could be incorporated in the US, flag their ships in the US, adhere to US regulations, and pay all applicable taxes... And they'd be eligible for those bailouts.

Instead they choose to avoid taxation and regulation, and are thus ineligible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with the others.  You should have waited for Carnival to issue the refund to you for your canceled cruise rather than doing a charge back.  That is the reason you are on the no sail list. 

*IF* you want to sail with Carnival again, I would imagine that if you paid the $250, they would probably allow you to sail again. I don't know this for sure, though.

If you don't want to sail with Carnival again, it would seem that they refunded your current cruise so I would just take that money and move on.  

• Like 1

Just now, aborgman said:

Cruise Lines could be incorporated in the US, flag their ships in the US, adhere to US regulations, and pay all applicable taxes... And they'd be eligible for those bailouts.

Maybe I will wish for powerball also.  The simple facts are their are differences, jsut as I said.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Did I say anything at all about whether they should be eligible for anything (by the way none of them should have gotten the handouts, but that is a different discussion, we could discuss how they all used it BUT WE WILL NEVER KNOW)?  I asked for comparable and there is none.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Maybe I will wish for powerball also.  The simple facts are their are differences, jsut as I said.  

There are differences, of the cruise lines choosing, that they chose to increase their profits at the expense of increased risk.

Many other industries suffered mass cancellations and the need to deal with refund volume way beyond normal. Most chose to slow play refunds to unethically (but legally) prop up their businesses on the customers backs.

• Like 1