Specialty Dining Coupons

Chesneygirl

We are sailing 6 people in one cabin. 
Our levels are as follows:

My husband and I are both Sapphire 

Each of our adult kids are Platinum 

and the other 2 are first timers. 

My question is how many coupons per cabin are given?  Do we all get coupon’s except for the first timers?  

You will get 2 sets of vouchers, for a total of 4 vouchers for the Sapphire and Platinum members - 2 meals each.  You might have to ask for the 2nd set.

How you use them is up to you - other than just giving them to the first-timers. In other words, I believe at least 1 eligible member must be present but can bring a guest.

And to stave off the "but vouchers are per room" argument that is sure to follow:

image.png.21bc18f3e9469ffa0b2461be4069d497.png

Edited by julig22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was just coming on here to ask another Platinum dining voucher question so since it is closely related, I hope you don’t mind @Chesneygirl if I piggyback it in this thread. I know that, officially, Latitudes vouchers are now supposed to receive the same 4-course meal as the FAS dinners. However, I’ve seen varying reports here on CC of people being told otherwise (that it is the 3-course meal). Can people who have sailed recently (especially the Joy) confirm that they are able to order 4 courses on the Platinum vouchers? Just trying to finalize plans of what we’re using where! Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Benefit is available on sailings 5 days or longer, and entitles each guest to one appetizer, one entrée and one dessert of choice. Entrée items up to $35 are covered. For items over this amount, an upcharge will be added to your onboard account. No restaurant substitutions. Names vary by ship. Restaurants not available on all ships. On Norwegian Bliss, Moderno is replaced by Los Lobos or Q. On Norwegian Joy, Moderno is replaced by Food Republic or Q. In Food Republic, the benefit entitles each guest to a total food value of $35 per guest. On Norwegian Encore, Moderno or La Cucina is replaced by Los Lobos or Q.

• Like 1

Yup; I know the website T&Cs. Thing is people have posted photos on here (threads I’d never be able to find again) I believe of the new vouchers stating different info, being good at any specialty, and being good for the same 4-course meal as the FAS. Since we all know how timely NCL always is at keeping their site updated, I’d like to see if anyone can confirm the reality from recent onboard experience. Because of course it’s also always possible that NCL made a temporary change and then went back to the old way again, as well.

17 minutes ago, Dorhead1230 said:

Yup; I know the website T&Cs. Thing is people have posted photos on here (threads I’d never be able to find again) I believe of the new vouchers stating different info, being good at any specialty, and being good for the same 4-course meal as the FAS. Since we all know how timely NCL always is at keeping their site updated, I’d like to see if anyone can confirm the reality from recent onboard experience. Because of course it’s also always possible that NCL made a temporary change and then went back to the old way again, as well.

I was told that they are using up the old vouchers, new ones to come.  But what they will say is anybody's guess!  NCL isn't known to make things very clear. And the T&Cs still say you can't go to the same restaurant twice but the CN folks onboard say you can - so that's kinda lucy goosey.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I was told that they are using up the old vouchers, new ones to come.  But what they will say is anybody's guess!  NCL isn't known to make things very clear. And the T&Cs still say you can't go to the same restaurant twice but the CN folks onboard say you can - so that's kinda lucy goosey.

Oh boy! So it’s just the NCL-normal anybody’s guess lol. Always anxiety-inducing for planners like me 🤪

1 hour ago, Dorhead1230 said:

I was just coming on here to ask another Platinum dining voucher question so since it is closely related, I hope you don’t mind @Chesneygirl if I piggyback it in this thread. I know that, officially, Latitudes vouchers are now supposed to receive the same 4-course meal as the FAS dinners. However, I’ve seen varying reports here on CC of people being told otherwise (that it is the 3-course meal). Can people who have sailed recently (especially the Joy) confirm that they are able to order 4 courses on the Platinum vouchers? Just trying to finalize plans of what we’re using where! Thanks in advance!

This is true.  On the TA on the Breakaway in April we only got three courses in Cagney’s with the Platinum voucher,  Wenwere a bit disappointed that we could not get both an appetizer and a soup or salad.  That being said, it was still plenty of food, but I believe the FAS meal includes four courses.  The Platinum voucher includes three.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

You will get 2 sets of vouchers, for a total of 4 vouchers for the Sapphire and Platinum members - 2 meals each.  You might have to ask for the 2nd set.

How you use them is up to you - other than just giving them to the first-timers. In other words, I believe at least 1 eligible member must be present but can bring a guest.

And to stave off the "but vouchers are per room" argument that is sure to follow:

Thank you this was the info I was looking for. We are sailing in the Haven so maybe the concierge will be able to get us the 2nd set if we end up needing them. I was also wondering if each of my kids being platinum could take their significant others to a specialty restaurant without incurring any an additional  cost which it appears that is also okay to do. 

7 minutes ago, Chesneygirl said:

Thank you this was the info I was looking for. We are sailing in the Haven so maybe the concierge will be able to get us the 2nd set if we end up needing them. I was also wondering if each of my kids being platinum could take their significant others to a specialty restaurant without incurring any an additional  cost which it appears that is also okay to do. 

Agreed.  I’m hoping for this too.  I am traveling with a friend in December in a 2 BR Haven cabin.  This is the first trip where she will be Platinum (I’m Sapphire).  Was hoping we’d each get a card, but now doubting that.  We’ll see come December.  Since we have the Haven restaurant we’re not that concerned the dining, but it would be nice to shake things up a bit.  But this also means that we don’t each get the bag of laundry, right?  That kind of sucks, although I’m pretty confident they won’t charge us for an extra bag on a 16 night cruise in the Haven.

1 minute ago, Russiamomm said:

Agreed.  I’m hoping for this too.  I am traveling with a friend in December in a 2 BR Haven cabin.  This is the first trip where she will be Platinum (I’m Sapphire).  Was hoping we’d each get a card, but now doubting that.  We’ll see come December.  Since we have the Haven restaurant we’re not that concerned the dining, but it would be nice to shake things up a bit.  But this also means that we don’t each get the bag of laundry, right?  That kind of sucks, although I’m pretty confident they won’t charge us for an extra bag on a 16 night cruise in the Haven.

Laundry bags don't need a coupon.

16n you will get at least 2 each.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Recent cruise May Star

Coupons(one gets a bottle), FAS diners and purchase package dinners.

Can use any of the included restaurants same rules  4 course or 4 items.

(Usual server discretion available)

Thanks! I knew I had seen reports of this. Just hoping there’s some consistency across the fleet (might as well hope to wake up with a million dollars under my pillow 😂).

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

Thanks!! This was exactly the information I was looking for, DH and I (both Sapphire)will be in the Bliss 2 bedroom and my good friend who just became Platinum will be cruising with us. We were wondering how this will be handled. The 3 of us had the 2 bedroom last November and totally enjoyed it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, julig22 said:

And to stave off the "but vouchers are per room" argument that is sure to follow...

what is interesting about the screen capture you provided is the reference to a third guest (without a fourth guest) being treated as a solo traveler entitled to just one dinner. currently, solo platinum and above guests get the same card that two people would get. as a solo traveler, my vouchers are for two diners for two and i can take a guest, perhaps somebody who i meet onboard. or a friend traveling in another cabin.

what's also interesting is the specific wording... "this guest will be treated as a solo traveler who get [sic] one dinner only." i think what they are trying to say is that the voucher is good for only one person... you would get two dinner vouchers, each good for a solo diner. of course, that's not what happens now... as a solo traveler, you get two dinner vouchers, each good for a dinner for two.

but then they go on to say:

"the benefit is only good if there are 2 guests dining on the same visit."

say what?

well, yes, of course, if only one person shows up to dine and uses a voucher, we understand that they are only redeeming the voucher for one meal. but it is unclear from that gobbledegook if NCL is trying to say that the third person only gets one coupon redeemable for one dinner for one. after all "the benefit is only good if there are 2 guests dining on the same visit."

and what is that benefit? the platinum and above benefit is two coupons for two dinners. 

i suspect, as with most NCL disclaimers, that is just horribly written... but... wow.

just wow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, UKstages said:

what is interesting about the screen capture you provided is the reference to a third guest (without a fourth guest) being treated as a solo traveler entitled to just one dinner. currently, solo platinum and above guests get the same card that two people would get. as a solo traveler, my vouchers are for two diners for two and i can take a guest, perhaps somebody who i meet onboard. or a friend traveling in another cabin.

what's also interesting is the specific wording... "this guest will be treated as a solo traveler who get [sic] one dinner only." i think what they are trying to say is that the voucher is good for only one person... you would get two dinner vouchers, each good for a solo diner. of course, that's not what happens now... as a solo traveler, you get two dinner vouchers, each good for a dinner for two.

but then they go on to say:

"the benefit is only good if there are 2 guests dining on the same visit."

say what?

well, yes, of course, if only one person shows up to dine and uses a voucher, we understand that they are only redeeming the voucher for one meal. but it is unclear from that gobbledegook if NCL is trying to say that the third person only gets one coupon redeemable for one dinner for one. after all "the benefit is only good if there are 2 guests dining on the same visit."

and what is that benefit? the platinum and above benefit is two coupons for two dinners. 

i suspect, as with most NCL disclaimers, that is just horribly written... but... wow.

just wow.

Another reason to book 2 cabins when the solo supplement drops to Zero, Extra dinners.

18 hours ago, omahabob said:

Benefit is available on sailings 5 days or longer, and entitles each guest to one appetizer, one entrée and one dessert of choice. Entrée items up to $35 are covered. For items over this amount, an upcharge will be added to your onboard account. No restaurant substitutions. Names vary by ship. Restaurants not available on all ships. On Norwegian Bliss, Moderno is replaced by Los Lobos or Q. On Norwegian Joy, Moderno is replaced by Food Republic or Q. In Food Republic, the benefit entitles each guest to a total food value of $35 per guest. On Norwegian Encore, Moderno or La Cucina is replaced by Los Lobos or Q.

This is all old and outdated information. 

Each cabin with a platinum or above will get coupons/vouchers (NCL calls them

coupons). If there are more than two platinum or above in the room, you can get a second set of coupons. 

There is no price limit

You get an appetizer, entree, dessert. All of the restaurant we have that we have been to (35+ since they changed the program) have treated the latitudes meals like SDP meals where they allowed a appetizer and salad. 

IMG_6515.thumb.jpeg.12fa88d1610796a36148face49f7d338.jpegIMG_6516.thumb.jpeg.ea2c70803906db993269f04c003443fd.jpeg

Upcharges apply to certain premium menu items; Raw Bar Seafood Platter is not included. Bottle of Wine offered in all venues offering Complimentary Wine list, Palomar not included. In à la carte restaurants, coupon can be redeemed for 4 menu items per person (Sushi, Wasabi, Nama, Teppanyaki, Hasuki, Food Republic, Pincho Tapas Bar or Raw Bar). 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

It is best to ask before you order since NCL is not consistent, not even on the same ship.

On the Bliss in April/May this year, Cagney's allowed four courses, La Cucina, Le Bistro, and Ocean Blue allowed three.

On the Escape for the last dozen cruises I've taken in the last year, four courses were allowed everywhere.

On Prima in February it was inconsistent, etc.

It seems NCL is transitioning to the three course standard for Platinum vouchers, but it isn't fully implemented across the fleet or across each ship. There is still some discretion in play.

As for the use of vouchers by solo travelers, I've had no problem on any ship using each voucher for two people, me and a dining partner. My understanding is that some solo travelers thought they could use each voucher twice just for themselves - so four solo dinners, rather than bringing a dining partner for two dinners. Upset people brought the issue to the Loyalty team repeatedly. I believe that is what the confusing T&C language is trying to address. So, for solo travelers, the vouchers are for either two solo dinners, or two dinners with a dining partner. It's a generous thing NCL does to try to encourage solo travelers to find friends. Some people with vouchers try to find other people with vouchers as a way to get four dinners. My inclination is to befriend someone with no vouchers, so they can experience a specialty restaurant.

One final bit of experience to pass on. I stopped putting platinum laundry vouchers in the laundry bag awhile ago, just filling out the laundry form and writing "sapphire" on the form and on the bag. Sometimes that works without issue. However, on both the Bliss and the Escape, my cabin steward dug out the laundry voucher from my voucher set (left by me on the shelf by the mirror) and placed it in the bag. 

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

This is all old and outdated information...

It's pasted from the NCL web site. Why am I not shocked that they haven't communicated well, yet again?

Thanks for the info.

I couldn't find anywhere that they referred to them as coupons, which is what confused me.

41 minutes ago, omahabob said:

It's pasted from the NCL web site. Why am I not shocked that they haven't communicated well, yet again?

Thanks for the info.

I couldn't find anywhere that they referred to them as coupons, which is what confused me.

This text from my prior post is from NCL’s website

https://www.ncl.com/latitudes-rewards-program

Uncharges apply to certain premium menu items; Raw Bar Seafood Platter is not included. Bottle of Wine offered in all venues offering Complimentary Wine list, Palomar not included. In à la carte restaurants, coupon can be redeemed for 4 menu items per person (Sushi, Wasabi, Nama, Teppanyaki, Hasuki, Food Republic, Pincho Tapas Bar or Raw Bar). 

Edited by BirdTravels

Yeah, I didn't find that when I looked. I got something different when I used the drop down menu under My NCL. Nothing in that drop down menu works at all for me anymore, so I can't even view my account. I guess I broke the web site.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2023 at 2:11 PM, Dorhead1230 said:

just got off the joy.

yes 4 course at le bistro, cagneys, and ocean blue for platinum vouchers.

but at cagneys, was limited to 1 side.

i thought that was a bit weird. that was the 1st time in dozens of cruises that i was limited to 1 side but i guess it's good for my wiastline since the 2nd side would have been french fries

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1