Knitting Basics activity

14 minutes ago, PolythenePam57 said:

Does anyone know if knitting needles and yarn are available onboard when participating in the Knitting Basics event?

Only on the World Cruise does Holland America Support a Program called Project Linus, Where over 1 million yards of yarn is on board as well as needles and crochet hooks.

Holland America does not have anything on other cruises.

I Volunteer and run the program.

Marty

martygottlieb13@gmail.com

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It was also offered on the Koningsdam last month. I’m a seasoned knitter, and I thought about joining in, but I never got around to it. I don’t know this for certain, but based on what I heard about the other arts/crafts classes listed, I would assume that it was a very basic introduction to knitting and that they would provide the supplies, as there’d be no way for passengers to know ahead of time they should bring anything, much less what to bring. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 12:39 PM, SusieKIslandGirl said:

It was offered on the Nieuw Statendam last month. The crew member who was leading the class saw me knitting and asked a few questions so I'm not sure how much she really knew about knitting. I think they had supplies, but not positive.

If it was Ingrid, she mentioned that her love of knitting got her interested in other Arts & Crafts, so she took a number of certifications then applied for the A&C position at HAL.  She was a lovely young lady with lots of patience.  We really enjoyed her many classes.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

If it was Ingrid, she mentioned that her love of knitting got her interested in other Arts & Crafts, so she took a number of certifications then applied for the A&C position at HAL.  She was a lovely young lady with lots of patience.  We really enjoyed her many classes.

We will probably be sailing on Nieuw Statendam in August.  Do you remember which other classes were offered?

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

So do I. It's all about the stash!

I generally bring at least 3 projects with me, with at least one 'in reserve' (usually a skein of fingering to start socks if I magically finish one of the other projects, which never happens.) 

• Haha 1

Just now, anniegram said:

Stable....Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy

Oops...That should have been SABLE...or in the case of us quilters....FABLE...Fabric Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy. This from the woman who brought along TWO sewing machines on the 2014 World Cruise!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, anniegram said:

Oops...That should have been SABLE...or in the case of us quilters....FABLE...Fabric Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy. This from the woman who brought along TWO sewing machines on the 2014 World Cruise!

I totally understand that!  I bring two machines on a four day quilting retreat!  Much easier when one drives or gets a ride to the port; I have to fly to get to any port so won't be bringing even one machine!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, anniegram said:

My mom is a former yarn shop owner. Her yarn stash is… well, it dwarfs some actual yarn shops. She’s also a spinner, an occasional dyer, a weaver, and has recently gotten back into sewing and quilting. She’s not anywhere close to the end of her life, of course, but my own stash already meets SABLE criteria, and combined with hers… It’s overwhelming to think about sometimes. 😂

(And yet, every time I visit a new city, I still always try and hunt down a local shop to find some unique hand-dyed yarn or fiber to add to my stash. And I refuse to feel guilty for it. I’m supporting a local industry and artist(s), and yarn is squishably easy to pack.)

• Like 4

We are doing a cruise which includes Sydney NS next month. Someone in Nova Scotia has a mobile yarn shop which is on the wharf when the ships come - what a brilliant way to monetize your yarn stash problem! 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, lissie said:

We are doing a cruise which includes Sydney NS next month. Someone in Nova Scotia has a mobile yarn shop which is on the wharf when the ships come - what a brilliant way to monetize your yarn stash problem! 

Oh man, that makes me want to go on another New England / Eastern Canada cruise again! It’s not quite at the port, but I love the yarn shop in Ketchikan, AK that’s right off Creek Street. I bought some lovely hand-dyed yarn by a woman based in Sitka last time I was there. 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

We will probably be sailing on Nieuw Statendam in August.  Do you remember which other classes were offered?

Off the top of my head there was water colour painting, origami, calligraphy numbering, and colouring.  I have a vague recollection of there being another one but I would have to double-check with my sister.

• Thanks 1