Is Selecting a Cabin Not an Option Anymore?

phroggie

I ran into this same problem while booking a 2025 cruise.   I wanted a Deluxe Balcony and only  guaranteed cabins were showing up.   I found that by looking for a cabin with 3 guests the cabins showed up.   I had heard about the trick of booking for 3 and then dropping the 3rd person later but I didn't do that.   Instead I called Princess and asked for the Deluxe Balcony I wanted and they were gracious enough to honor my request.   The problem is that there are no Deluxe Balconies for only 2 people.  All have love seats that turn into a 3rd bed.   It doesn't seem fair to me that couples can't book a Deluxe Balcony.   Princess should reserve some for 3 people and some for couples.   Thats my opinion.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

...who have found a loophole in the system and booked in bad faith.

If you want a sofa, book a mini-suite.

Last year, when I booked an obstructed deluxe balcony for two people, I wasn't aware that I was acting in "bad faith". I selected the cabin I wanted and (depending on your view) either paid a small premium for the option or missed out on a discount. Princess (or least their website) had no problem booking it and taking money for only two fares. The fact that there was a loveseat was a pleasant bonus. And, BTW, wife says I'm great at picking cabins and I will continue to prefer to do that and pay a reasonable premium.

If Princess now has a policy where deluxe balconies, obstructed or not, are not given out to parties of two, they should make it clear on the website (including the chat window personnel) instead of doing (virtual) bait-and-switch. Thankfully, this there are some wonderful people on this thread who are helping to clarify the situation in ways that Princess won't.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, phroggie said:

f Princess now has a policy where deluxe balconies, obstructed or not, are not given out to parties of two, they should make it clear on the website (including the chat window personnel) instead of doing (virtual) bait-and-switch.

Yep.  None of the cabins I am interested in are more than 2 people, so I'm not sure how accurate all of that is.  I would like to think they are just updating the website and taking forever to fix, but it's impossible to know.   They could very easily handle more than 2 person cabins differently, than block every cabin on every ship in their system.  This makes no sense. 

Even talked to my TA yesterday, they are seeing the same thing.  Said everyone is calling them because they can't even see cabin availability for cruises a year and more out.  She was frustrated too.

Edited by kywildcatfanone
More detail
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Here's what Princess is trying to avoid - passengers who are booking with a extra dummy guest. 

It's widely spoken about here, selfishly booking 3 guests to get a cabin with a sofa, then cancelling the 3rd 'dummy' guest, yet keeping the cabin, only with 2 guests. This cuts into supply when there are truly parties with 3 or 4 guests, who need a cabin, which are already occupied by 2 guests, who have found a loophole in the system and booked in bad faith. Not to mention, Princess misses out of all the extra revenue guests 3 and 4 would have generated.

If "Princess Chooses", they can put 2 passengers in a cabin which has the capacity for 2 people, not 3 or 4 people.

Respectfully, I disagree. I do not consider it 'selfish' to book a deluxe balcony for 2 people if I am willing to pay the  extra for the seating area.  Would you tell the person wanting to book 3 people into the deluxe they should be required to book a mini? Or they could book a balcony with dropdown bunks? 

I have never tried this 'dummy guest' trick but I have straight out booked deluxe balconys for 2 of us. 

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Here's what Princess is trying to avoid - passengers who are booking with a extra dummy guest. 

It's widely spoken about here, selfishly booking 3 guests to get a cabin with a sofa, then cancelling the 3rd 'dummy' guest, yet keeping the cabin, only with 2 guests. This cuts into supply when there are truly parties with 3 or 4 guests, who need a cabin, which are already occupied by 2 guests, who have found a loophole in the system and booked in bad faith. Not to mention, Princess misses out of all the extra revenue guests 3 and 4 would have generated.

If "Princess Chooses", they can put 2 passengers in a cabin which has the capacity for 2 people, not 3 or 4 people.

While we should not have to resort to work-arounds, I do disagree with your basic premise.  Ever since Princess introduced the Deluxe Balcony cabin, they have been available to all guests.  They are all rated for more than two people, whether guests decide to put more in the cabin or not.  I am unaware of any policy change where PCL would completely want to restrict couples from booking this category of cabin.  (I do realize, they wouldn't exactly trumpet it out in a press release, but by now some folks would be in-the-know). 

There is something else afoot here, and it seems we regular customers don't know what is going on exactly, but what is wrong is the booking algorithm on Princess.com.  Clearly agents are able to book such cabins using POLAR and if the customer base access other 3rd party booking engines (i.e. various agencies), it can be seen that there are cabins to select in my recent experience.

• Like 2

Princess is sailing at 100%+ capacity.  It is their best interest to hold those cabins for bookings of 3.  They could always release them later or offer bids, or 'upsells' closer to the sailing date.  Website bookings may become a thing of the past except for GTY's, forcing a call to Princess, CVP, or TA.

and the more any workaround/loophole is discussed, the sooner it will be 'adjusted' - forfeiture of full deposit if the 3rd party is 'dropped', or moved to another category come to mind

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Respectfully, I disagree. I do not consider it 'selfish' to book a deluxe balcony for 2 people if I am willing to pay the  extra for the seating area.  Would you tell the person wanting to book 3 people into the deluxe they should be required to book a mini? Or they could book a balcony with dropdown bunks? 

I have never tried this 'dummy guest' trick but I have straight out booked deluxe balconys for 2 of us. 

Are you willing to pay for another passenger?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

Are you willing to pay for another passenger?

Geez, are you suggesting a guest who ends up booking an Inside with bunkies on the side walls should be paying for 3rd & 4th persons, even though they never wanted the things hanging there in the first place?

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Geez, are you suggesting a guest who ends up booking an Inside with bunkies on the side walls should be paying for 3rd & 4th persons, even though they never wanted the things hanging there in the first place?

more like booking a 3rd person in a specific cabin to be able to book it, knowing they are going to cancel that 3rd 'ghost' person

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

No.

Referring to the person who books a quad or 3 person cabin with a dummy third guest with no intention of ever having a third guest, and keeping the cabin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, phroggie said:

Last year, when I booked an obstructed deluxe balcony for two people, I wasn't aware that I was acting in "bad faith". I selected the cabin I wanted and (depending on your view) either paid a small premium for the option or missed out on a discount. Princess (or least their website) had no problem booking it and taking money for only two fares. The fact that there was a loveseat was a pleasant bonus. And, BTW, wife says I'm great at picking cabins and I will continue to prefer to do that and pay a reasonable premium.

If Princess now has a policy where deluxe balconies, obstructed or not, are not given out to parties of two, they should make it clear on the website (including the chat window personnel) instead of doing (virtual) bait-and-switch. Thankfully, this there are some wonderful people on this thread who are helping to clarify the situation in ways that Princess won't.

No, you absolutely weren't acting in bad faith IF the cabin came up as available when you searched for 2 guests.

I'm referring to people who search for 3 guests, then book a dummy guest in the third spot. THIS is what Princess is doing, I suspect, to quash the people who are manipulating the system. 

21 hours ago, rjack22 said:

I ran into this same problem while booking a 2025 cruise.   I wanted a Deluxe Balcony and only  guaranteed cabins were showing up.   I found that by looking for a cabin with 3 guests the cabins showed up.   I had heard about the trick of booking for 3 and then dropping the 3rd person later but I didn't do that.   Instead I called Princess and asked for the Deluxe Balcony I wanted and they were gracious enough to honor my request.   The problem is that there are no Deluxe Balconies for only 2 people.  All have love seats that turn into a 3rd bed.   It doesn't seem fair to me that couples can't book a Deluxe Balcony.   Princess should reserve some for 3 people and some for couples.   Thats my opinion.

There's a mini-suite if you want a sofa.

Princess should be able to get maximum occupancy for each cabin.

More and more families are sailing, as new cruisers.  They want to have cabins available. 

13 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

No.

Referring to the person who books a quad or 3 person cabin with a dummy third guest with no intention of ever having a third guest, and keeping the cabin.

There are Inside quads as well and perhaps a guest booking either only has that choice or do not like the location of available 2-person cabins.

9 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

There's a mini-suite if you want a sofa.

Princess should be able to get maximum occupancy for each cabin.

More and more families are sailing, as new cruisers.  They want to have cabins available. 

Mini-Suites are also rated for >2 people.  Why aren't you suggesting a guest ought to be paying extra for those as well?  Why should a couple be forced to jump a category and be excluded from an entire category of cabins on the ship?  It has also been stated on here in various historical posts, that PCL cannot fill every berth possible due to lifeboat limitations.  (Although I have always thought to myself "Why have the extra berths if they cannot all be used"?)  I wouldn't want to be on a ship maxed out, but of course have no control over that as never know what happens until aboard the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Princess sells cabins to whomever is willing to pay the price, solo, couples or otherwise.  
You don’t even have to do a third person dummy booking.  You only need to check which deluxe balconies are available online by plugging in three guests.  Then, call Princess or your TA to book it for you.  There is nothing manipulative or sneaky going on here.  
If a party of two wants a sofa, the same thing could be said for a couple or even a solo passengers about booking a mini suite or a suite.  Isn’t that the same exact premise that if it sleeps three or four and you are booking it for one or two passengers, that shouldn’t be allowed either.  
Deluxe cabins are more than regular balconies, mini suites are more than deluxe balconies, suites are more than mini suites .. all of them are more than an inside cabin. 
I am just not understanding the logic that two people shouldn’t be allowed to book a deluxe balcony cabin but book a mini suite instead.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Mini-Suites are also rated for >2 people.  Why aren't you suggesting a guest ought to be paying extra for those as well?  Why should a couple be forced to jump a category and be excluded from an entire category of cabins on the ship?  It has also been stated on here in various historical posts, that PCL cannot fill every berth possible due to lifeboat limitations.  (Although I have always thought to myself "Why have the extra berths if they cannot all be used"?)  I wouldn't want to be on a ship maxed out, but of course have no control over that as never know what happens until aboard the ship.

Yes, aware of the survival craft limitations.

Mini suites are also for a maximum of 2 people. 

If 2 guests want a sofa, they can book a mini suite if there isn't 2 guest deluxe cabins available. 

This is just another loophole Princess needs to close up - controlling their inventory for maximum profits.

I want my stock to keep going up, don't you?

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

Princess sells cabins to whomever is willing to pay the price, solo, couples or otherwise.  
You don’t even have to do a third person dummy booking.  You only need to check which deluxe balconies are available online by plugging in three guests.  Then, call Princess or your TA to book it for you.  There is nothing manipulative or sneaky going on here.  
If a party of two wants a sofa, the same thing could be said for a couple or even a solo passengers about booking a mini suite or a suite.  Isn’t that the same exact premise that if it sleeps three or four and you are booking it for one or two passengers, that shouldn’t be allowed either.  
Deluxe cabins are more than regular balconies, mini suites are more than deluxe balconies, suites are more than mini suites .. all of them are more than an inside cabin. 
I am just not understanding the logic that two people shouldn’t be allowed to book a deluxe balcony cabin but book a mini suite instead.  

For now.  Princess needs to change this. 

BOGO Happy Hour, Coffee Card, Military/Shareholder OBC, these are all revenue based decisions. 

This is something else which needs to change to maximize profits. 

4 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Because if a family of 3 wants to cruise, 2 passengers shouldn't be taking up a cabin for 3. 

Edited by startedwithamouse

9 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I found at least one example of a voyage not showing me a mini to pick unless I setup the search for 3 guests.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2023 at 9:12 PM, phroggie said:

A few days ago I booked a cruise for July, 2024. I specifically selected the choose-yer-own-cabin option (because cabin on our last cruise was awesome). In spite of this the booking became a Guaranteed Booking. Yuk.

Is selected your own cabin not an option anymore? Am I booking too early? Did I catch the website on a glitchy day?

And the live chat was no help. 

Same happened to me for a October 2025 cruise!  Only option was a guarantee which is not something I am willing to take a chance on!

30 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Because if a family of 3 wants to cruise, 2 passengers shouldn't be taking up a cabin for 3. 

If a family of three wants to cruise, there are several options of cabins to choose from, including just about all mini suites, some inside cabins, some balcony cabins and all suites.