Cruise First - Cruise Next, what are your best hacks?

Cruzin Fool

Just used up all of our Cruise Next certificates for a family cruise from Tahiti to Hawaii.  As usual, already planning our next few cruises.  NCL seems to change their offers more often than the average person changes their underwear.  It can get confusing when you see "Apply Cruise First and Double Cruise Next Certificates on your next cruise," or something similar.  Not that the promotion is confusing.  It's pretty straight forward.  But, is the current offer the best way to do it?  Or do you wait for the next one?

So what I am looking for is your best certificate hacks.  There is always someone out there who has cracked the code.  Maybe they found the best way is to leverage cruise first and cruise next certificates while onboard a NCL cruise.  Maybe it's best during a holiday sale such as 4th of July, Memorial day or Christmas.  

What have you found to be the best way to work the system when it comes to cruise first and cruise next certificates?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruzin Fool said:

NCL seems to change their offers more often than the average person changes their underwear.

i have no "hacks," i'm not sure there are any "hacks," but i'm fascinated... please tell us how often you change your underwear... inquiring minds want to know!

i'll go first. i change mine once, sometimes twice a day.  NCL changes the cruise first/cruise next purchase and redemption rules far less frequently than that, i should think.

and how would one leverage a certificate while on board?

(i guess we'll have to wait for the hackers to tell us.)

not really a hack...  but i've had great success buying $250 cruise first certificates when they are available for $125 and then i redeem them, one per reservation, when i book a cruise.

works every time.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, UKstages said:

i have no "hacks," i'm not sure there are any "hacks," but i'm fascinated... please tell us how often you change your underwear... inquiring minds want to know!

i'll go first. i change mine once, sometimes twice a day.  NCL changes the cruise first/cruise next purchase and redemption rules far less frequently than that, i should think.

and how would one leverage a certificate while on board?

(i guess we'll have to wait for the hackers to tell us.)

not really a hack...  but i've had great success buying $250 cruise first certificates when they are available for $125 and then i redeem them, one per reservation, when i book a cruise.

works every time.

I meant NCL's promotions in general.  One day it's 50% off all cruises, then the next it's 70% off second guest, then free airfare for second guest, then $99 air, then 3rd and 4th guests free, etc...  

This leads me to my second question - why would you need to change your underwear twice in a day?  Nevermind, I don't think we want to know.

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

It's not a hack but the promos for booking onboard vary sometimes.

Yes, they do run unique promotions on the ships.  Similar to how airlines run special promotions on flights for their branded credit cards.  Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

Hacks?  Not sure what you’re looking for.

I buy Cruise Next certs.  They double the value of what I pay.  You can use one or two of them (depending on cabin type and time of booking).

I think Cruise First certs are similar.

As you state, their use is pretty straight forward.

Math-wise, the NCL sales (35% off the cruise fare, 70% off second guest, etc) is all the same thing for the most part. So far, this is my only set of "hacks".

Put in the cruise I want to one of the cruise price fare alert sites. I also keep watch and do 'dummy' bookings to see what the prices with taxes and fees are. I also check for promos where you get extra latitude points and last minute deals. I watch for the $250 CruiseFirst and grab one in order to have on hand as a deposit.

I have a set budget amount and then when a cruise fare dips to that, I can go for it. 

• Like 1

Use of CruiseNext certificates is pretty straightforward but the ability to use more than one varies, depending on the current promo and cabin category.  CruiseFirst is more restricted but depending on the current promo may offer a better value if booking studio, inside or OV.

Booking onboard gives you an "in category" upgrade, so basically a better location on the ship for inside or balcony, an upgrade from obstructed to window for OV.  

Pre-covid, I think they may have offered OBC sometimes for onboard bookings.  When sales were slow post-covid they offered a 10% discount on onboard bookings a few times.  Haven't seen anything recently but it never hurts to ask. Note - they may tell you that an upcoming special, such as the triple-up, is an onboard special.  So far, that hasn't been true.

Holiday sales don't tend to be any different than non-holiday sales, although I do seem to remember an extra 10% discount at Thanksgiving about 5 years ago - I think it may have been for latitudes members only.

• Like 2

We only book balconies or above, so I always buy enough to have at least 2 ready at any time (you have to buy 2 or more on board to get the full 50% valuation, not sure why people buy many more than that at once).  

That is about it.  Well right now you can redeem 3 for balconies and above as part of the TripleUp promotion so I went to fleabay and got one extra for $145 (seller made $20 before fees, I got $105 of extra discount on my cruise).

• Like 2

So I'm not really sure there are ways to "hack" the CNs, other than using the promos such as the current triple stack on new reservations of a balcony or higher more than 120 days out... You can sort of "hack" the Cruise First for additional savings if you pay using a credit card that offers cash back or a rebate. Amex will run a CB promo a couple times a year which is often $350 when you spend $1000. You can purchase a CN valued at $500 for only $250 and then put a $750 deposit down on a new booking. this will result in a value of $1,250 while only spending $650. 

Other than that you will want to look into things like MyVEGAS where you can play games for free which earn points that can be redeemed for things like dollar off or % discounts on cruises as well as "free" cruises on select sail and ship itineraries. The offers frequently change, but I was recently able to Apply two $750 off coupons ($1500 off) with a cruise next ($500 off) and my Amex offer for a total value of $2700 towards a cruise for only $650 out of pocket. I booked the trip while NCl also extended an additional 50% off existing promos for certain Alaska Cruises. All in all I am in an aft balc, for under $750pp including NCL airplane tickets and leave next week.

I also have a "comp" cruise that I redeemed points for through MyVEGAS where I was only responsible for Port Taxes & Fees, grats, and the Daily Service. I upgraded to a Balc on that reservation allowing be to apply three cruise next certs under the current promo so for $375 out of pocket I was able to apply $750 total towards outstanding charges and be left with a virtually zero balance. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, 603NHCruiser said:

So I'm not really sure there are ways to "hack" the CNs, other than using the promos such as the current triple stack on new reservations of a balcony or higher more than 120 days out... You can sort of "hack" the Cruise First for additional savings if you pay using a credit card that offers cash back or a rebate. Amex will run a CB promo a couple times a year which is often $350 when you spend $1000. You can purchase a CN valued at $500 for only $250 and then put a $750 deposit down on a new booking. this will result in a value of $1,250 while only spending $650. 

Other than that you will want to look into things like MyVEGAS where you can play games for free which earn points that can be redeemed for things like dollar off or % discounts on cruises as well as "free" cruises on select sail and ship itineraries. The offers frequently change, but I was recently able to Apply two $750 off coupons ($1500 off) with a cruise next ($500 off) and my Amex offer for a total value of $2700 towards a cruise for only $650 out of pocket. I booked the trip while NCl also extended an additional 50% off existing promos for certain Alaska Cruises. All in all I am in an aft balc, for under $750pp including NCL airplane tickets and leave next week.

I also have a "comp" cruise that I redeemed points for through MyVEGAS where I was only responsible for Port Taxes & Fees, grats, and the Daily Service. I upgraded to a Balc on that reservation allowing be to apply three cruise next certs under the current promo so for $375 out of pocket I was able to apply $750 total towards outstanding charges and be left with a virtually zero balance. 

Hacker level - PRO.  Thanks for your insight!!

3 hours ago, 603NHCruiser said:

Been playing MyVegas for over 10 years. It's not what it used to be as far as rewards go but as long as they offer comp cruises and cruise perks I will keep playing.

• Like 2

I never pay full price for cruisenext cert, but I don't buy them on the ship. There are online sites where fellow cruisers are willing to sell their cruise next certs at a discount from what they paid because they can't use the certificate in time. In this case I'm saving money and helping a fellow cruiser who would 'eat' the cruise next cost entirely if it expired. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 2:58 PM, 603NHCruiser said:

Just noticed you are in the 603.  We are in the seacoast.  What part of NH are you from???

20 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I never pay full price for cruisenext cert, but I don't buy them on the ship. There are online sites where fellow cruisers are willing to sell their cruise next certs at a discount from what they paid because they can't use the certificate in time. In this case I'm saving money and helping a fellow cruiser who would 'eat' the cruise next cost entirely if it expired. 

Legit hack for sure.  Thank you!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cruzin Fool said:

Just noticed you are in the 603.  We are in the seacoast.  What part of NH are you from???

Haha too funny! So am I. Portsmouth. 

I was just on a cruise last month and a couple was from N. Hampton, we ended up on the same flight home. It’s a small world. 

On 6/26/2023 at 2:01 PM, graphicguy said:

Hacks?  Not sure what you’re looking for.

I buy Cruise Next certs.  They double the value of what I pay.  You can use one or two of them (depending on cabin type and time of booking).

I think Cruise First certs are similar.

As you state, their use is pretty straight forward.

And sometimes three!

• Like 2

Depending on our OBC situation, our 50% off onboard certificate purchases turn into nearly 100% off. Despite the hard sell to purchase 4 or 8 certs, we normally do 2 every cruise to keep the bank with a few for the double-up and rare triple-up offers. 

Our days of having the kids in the cabin are long gone, so 3rd and 4th person offers have no value to us. To some, even with grown kids, it matters. Last year we sailed in a 2BR Haven on the Breakaway… just the two of us. Next door was a family of 6 (mom, dad, and 4 adult kids) who sailed with guests 3-6 free. At have prices, they made out. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 12:06 PM, Cruzin Fool said:

Just used up all of our Cruise Next certificates for a family cruise from Tahiti to Hawaii.  As usual, already planning our next few cruises.  NCL seems to change their offers more often than the average person changes their underwear.  It can get confusing when you see "Apply Cruise First and Double Cruise Next Certificates on your next cruise," or something similar.  Not that the promotion is confusing.  It's pretty straight forward.  But, is the current offer the best way to do it?  Or do you wait for the next one?

So what I am looking for is your best certificate hacks.  There is always someone out there who has cracked the code.  Maybe they found the best way is to leverage cruise first and cruise next certificates while onboard a NCL cruise.  Maybe it's best during a holiday sale such as 4th of July, Memorial day or Christmas.  

What have you found to be the best way to work the system when it comes to cruise first and cruise next certificates?  

I don't think there is any way to HACK a CN voucher.  Akthough there are several godo tips on how to use them.  I woudl be wary of trying to hack the CN system though, could land you in trouble.

One tip is to watch for specia offers that NCL runs from time to time allowing 2 (sometimes even 3) CN to be used on each reservation is probably.

17 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I don't think there is any way to HACK a CN voucher.  Akthough there are several godo tips on how to use them.  I woudl be wary of trying to hack the CN system though, could land you in trouble.

One tip is to watch for specia offers that NCL runs from time to time allowing 2 (sometimes even 3) CN to be used on each reservation is probably.

Hacks = Tips...  For example - Drinking a glass of water with a 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda each day is a life hack.  

There is a FB page designated to buying and selling CF and CN certificates.  Always for less than you can buy them onboard or on NCLs website.  Be sure to know the restrictions of CF vs CN and the expiration date.  I’ve sold one recently and it was easy and all above board.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cruzin Fool said:

Hacks = Tips

strictly speaking, no, it never did mean that.

but the word has been co-opted by social media influencers to mean something that it didn’t originally. so, sadly, that is now one of the accepted meanings... hence the confusion by some in this thread who insist that there are no “hacks” that can be used to exploit these certificates.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1