Galveston to Airport for 11:38 flight

iria64

Scheduled for cruise out of Galveston in January.

The only non-stop flight from Houston to NY leaves at 11:38am.

I figure we need to be at the airport no later the 10:00 am.

We will carry out own luggage off the ship.

How close are we cutting this to get from the port to the airport?  This would be on a Saturday.

38 minutes ago, iria64 said:

Biggest problem is I would prefer to fly in to JFK and my only choice for is 11:38 Jet Blue.  If I can do Laguardia it seems I might have more choices on United.

So, you are IAH, the specific airport for Houston is very important. If you were at HOU I'd say 11:38 would be OK about 95% of the time. IAH is almost 70 miles from Galveston. If it all works getting off the ship, getting your transportation, getting to IAH, all the stuff required these days at an airport, then maybe it would work. If it doesn't work, will Jet Blue put you on another flight on another airline to the New York City area at no charge? I wouldn't take the chance, but since over 80% of the flights out of IAH are United, I use them all the time.

1 minute ago, Texas Tillie said:

So, you are IAH, the specific airport for Houston is very important. If you were at HOU I'd say 11:38 would be OK about 95% of the time. IAH is almost 70 miles from Galveston. If it all works getting off the ship, getting your transportation, getting to IAH, all the stuff required these days at an airport, then maybe it would work. If it doesn't work, will Jet Blue put you on another flight on another airline to the New York City area at no charge? I wouldn't take the chance, but since over 80% of the flights out of IAH are United, I use them all the time.

I think my biggest concern is that I have heard fog can be a problem for Galveston in January which can cause delays getting in to port.  For an early flight any delay will cause a problem.  I may go with United but have to check with the rest of the group.

Be very careful. You are flying out of IAH Bush Intercontinental airport not HOU Houston Hobby airport In your language LaGuardia vs. JFK for Houston. Can take up to 1.5 hours or about $110 Uber depending on surge pricing to get to IAH from Galveston.  You may be better off taking Southwest from HOU to LaGuardia or Islip depending where you end up. HOU is about 45 minute drive from Galveston. Note AA and DL fly out of HOU as well.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/27/2023 at 8:52 AM, iria64 said:

I think my biggest concern is that I have heard fog can be a problem for Galveston in January which can cause delays getting in to port.  For an early flight any delay will cause a problem.  I may go with United but have to check with the rest of the group.

I was delayed by fog in Galveston for a February cruise. I missed my flight home and it wasn't even that early of a flight (I don't remember what time it was but I know it was a flight that would normally work just fine). Luckily I was on American going to Chicago so I called AA while on the shuttle from the port to the airport and they arranged a later flight for me. I actually almost missed that one too, due to heavy traffic. LOL. Keep in mind also that if you book flights earlier than what the cruise lines recommends, travel insurance might not be helpful either.

I breezed from Downtown Houston to Galveston without a single traffic back-up today (Friday) at about 5:00 to 6:00 pm. Shocking!!! I've probably driven that stretch 30 times and that has never happened. First 30 miles appeared to be new construction with 4 lanes. Now 30 miles into Houston was no cakewalk but expected

Edited by Stallion