Silver Cloud Live - Reykjavik to Kangerlussuaq - June 25th to July 5th 2023 - Surprise!

RyanJCanada

You would not have been too happy with a hotel near JFK.  There are no 4 or 5 star hotels, mostly Courtyard or similar.  The choice is convenience near the airport or a more luxurious stay in the city.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LAexNY said:

You would not have been too happy with a hotel near JFK.  There are no 4 or 5 star hotels, mostly Courtyard or similar.  The choice is convenience near the airport or a more luxurious stay in the city.

32 minutes ago, LAexNY said:

There is the TWA Hotel inside JFK. I stayed there earlier this year and will be there again for 1 night in September. That is as close to the planes as you can get😃

7 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I was pretty disappointed not to see a proper stack of 16 flapjacks on a single serving plate.

It seemed so disastrous at the time, and yet I’m sure a grown man eating 16 pancakes wouldn’t have been the worst thing the lounge employees saw that morning!

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, jpalbny said:

I was hoping that @RyanJCanada would have tried bumping the counter to 99, to see if it reset at 100!

Now why didn’t I think of that? Next one to visit an Alaska Airways lounge should test this out…

Edited by RyanJCanada
  • Haha 2

On 7/8/2023 at 4:37 AM, RyanJCanada said:

Bonus post just went up!

when are you bringing the family to Australia? lol

This is where we are driving to tomorrow (we have a caravan). It will always be one of my most favourite destinations in the world, even though it's in our state. I've bought a new lens for my camera (75 to 300mm) and hoping to practice some photography for our Iceland/Greenland trip.  This is peak time for whale sharks and humpbacks.  We've seen orcas up there too!

Edited by AusMum
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AusMum said:

This is where we are driving to tomorrow (we have a caravan). It will always be one of my most favourite destinations in the world, even though it's in our state. I've bought a new lens for my camera (75 to 300mm) and hoping to practice some photography for our Iceland/Greenland trip.  This is peak time for whale sharks and humpbacks.  We've seen orcas up there too!

We're coming in 2025! We might impose upon you for some recommendations a little later on, if it's not too much trouble - but still planning Galapagos as that's coming up in 2024.

1 hour ago, Keithb said:

What terminal did you come into from the charter flight from Greenland? What time did you arrive around 9 pm? Thanks in advance.

Got in at around 8:30 pm but 9 pm by the time we reached border security, as we had to shuttle from the plane (no gate). Not sure which terminal - seemed rather small. They’d told us it would be the “commercial terminal” but not sure which one it was. I did track down the flight number, so more info available here - https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CJL8983/history/20230705/2010Z/BGSF/KJFK

Edited by RyanJCanada

On 7/14/2023 at 4:28 AM, AusMum said:

what a place. Is my list now!!!!

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2023 at 5:03 PM, RyanJCanada said:

We're coming in 2025! We might impose upon you for some recommendations a little later on, if it's not too much trouble - but still planning Galapagos as that's coming up in 2024.

And about Brazil?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lirio said:

And about Brazil?

Brazil is on our list too, but probably not until after 2027. We might impose upon you too, Lirio, if that's okay... still very early in our planning, but we would definitely appreciate any recommendations for where we might be able to see jaguars in the wild.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RyanJCanada said:

Brazil is on our list too, but probably not until after 2027. We might impose upon you too, Lirio, if that's okay... still very early in our planning, but we would definitely appreciate any recommendations for where we might be able to see jaguars in the wild.

To see jaguars in the wide, the option is Pantanal!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Keithb said:

Can anyone tell me if there are binoculars in the rooms or do you really need to bring binoculars?

No binoculars in verandah suites.  Bring your own.  Personally, I feel binoculars are almost necessary on any expedition cruise or for looking at fjords and scenery on some classic cruises.

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2023 at 4:03 AM, RyanJCanada said:

I would love to help!