Printer just broke, alternative for luggage tags?

Sigyn

I'm flying out tomorrow to stay with a friend in California until I head to Vancouver next week for our Celebrity cruise. My printer broke tonight as I was trying to print my luggage tags. Isn't that the way it always works? My friend doesn't have a printer. Will Celebrity have options at the port for printing luggage tags? We're staying in a suite, if that makes any difference in the assistance level. Thanks!

Edited by Sigyn

2 minutes ago, Sigyn said:

I'm flying out tomorrow to stay with a friend in California until I head to Vancouver next week for our Celebrity cruise. My printer broke tonight as I was trying to print my luggage tags. Isn't that the way it always works? My friend doesn't have a printer. Will Celebrity have options at the port for printing luggage tags? We're staying in a suite, if that makes any difference in the assistance level. Thanks!

There will a station for picking up and filling out blank luggage tags.

3 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Take care of it at the terminal.  I have never printed luggage tags. Always do it with the help of a porter.

Having You use Your Printer, paper and Ink is one of those things that are a good marketing  way to save the company money while convincing You that it's for Your Convivence!

• Like 1

Have done check in with porters dozens of times.  Saves time printing, having a stapler or tape at your point of embarkation, etc.

Never once have had a problem with it.  You watch the port person write the cabin number on the tag, so don't know how poor handwriting would be anyone's fault but your own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFontaine said:

Too many stories of delayed luggage because the porter's handwriting could not be read. I'd find a Fed Ex or a Staples or anywhere else where you can print them out. 

I have never seen a story like this. Not saying it hasn’t ever happened but I certainly haven’t seen it mentioned. You watch the Porter make out the tag and if it’s not satisfactory he or she do it over.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I have never seen a story like this. Not saying it hasn’t ever happened but I certainly haven’t seen it mentioned. You watch the Porter make out the tag and if it’s not satisfactory he or she do it over.

Agreed.  Never heard of that.  Some people worry about everything.   I would ask for a tag and fill it out if I am concerned with the porter's handwriting.  I also never had a problem with the wrong room.  We also tip the porter.

If you have the time, head to your public library.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

People never know exactly why their bags are left on the wrong floor or at the wrong door, but I have read here and on other sites that sometimes it involved a handwritten tag. I'm so glad it has never happened to you or the other people who said it never happened to them. I like to minimize what could go wrong, so I print the tags. I would hate to look over a porter's shoulder and say, that 7 looks more like a 1, can you do it again please? I've had a misdirected bag with a preprinted tag (in the Penthouse,  with the head butler searching), and it's no fun going to dinner in the clothes you have been wearing since 4 am. Thank you 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

People never know exactly why their bags are left on the wrong floor or at the wrong door, but I have read here and on other sites that sometimes it involved a handwritten tag. I'm so glad it has never happened to you or the other people who said it never happened to them. I like to minimize what could go wrong, so I print the tags. I would hate to look over a porter's shoulder and say, that 7 looks more like a 1, can you do it again please?

Why would that make you uncomfortable. If you weren’t pleased with what he has written, ask him to correct it. It’s a simple request.

13 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

I've had a misdirected bag with a preprinted tag (in the Penthouse,  with the head butler searching), and it's no fun going to dinner in the clothes you have been wearing since 4 am. Thank you 

So having a pre-printed tag doesn’t guarantee that it will get to the right place, any more than having a handwritten tag guarantees that it will get to the wrong place.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RichYak said:

The luggage porters have tags

20 hours ago, Mark_K said:

There will a station for picking up and filling out blank luggage tags.

We cruised out of Vancouver in early May and were very glad we had printed our luggage tags in advance, as the line for "non pre-tagged" people was very long.

If there was a station to fill out the tags on-site, we never saw it.

Any directional signage for luggage drop-off was nonexistent - thankfully we asked a knowledgeable person who told us we didn't have to wait in the long line since we were pre-tagged, just go directly to the porters (then they pointed us in the correct direction).

There was one other ship sailing out on the same day [Royal Princess] and the luggage drop-off area was total chaos. (We arrived just before noon.) Perhaps the disorder was because we were one of the early sailings out of Vancouver this season, and maybe they've since gotten their act together.

Once the luggage was dropped off, it took us about 1 hour to go through check-in and get onboard.

YMMV

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

Why did you wait until the last day to print your tags?

As others suggested go to a place that will print it out.  See if your friend has a friend that has one. 

Put some duct tape on your luggage with your cabin number, ship, and sailing date  in case you don’t trust the porters.  It may help🤷‍♂️ 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

20 hours ago, Sigyn said:

Hopefully you are using the app to check in and don't need to print that!  (I'm a fan of the app and hate paper).  Yes, they will do it for you at the port.  We have left our tags in Civitavecchia and Culebra accidentally and once on the kitchen table.  We have always received our bags.  No scenario with bad handwriting woes ever occurred.  And yes, one time our printer broke but I was able to print black and white tags at work.  

38 minutes ago, MarKay525 said:

We cruised out of Vancouver in early May and were very glad we had printed our luggage tags in advance, as the line for "non pre-tagged" people was very long.

I've never seen such a line. IME, every porter has tags and sharpies.

• Like 1

If you really want the tags in advance possibly you friends have a printer.   If not you can stop into any UPS or FedEx store and can print there.   They have PC's and you can just log on and print or bring on a USB drive and print.

I did this recently in Amsterdam.

On 6/27/2023 at 8:55 AM, JFontaine said:

Too many stories of delayed luggage because the porter's handwriting could not be read. I'd find a Fed Ex or a Staples or anywhere else where you can print them out. 

I came here to say exactly this.

Recently sailed from Rotterdam. European handwriting/penmanship is distinctive and easily misread. A 4 can be a 6. A 1 could be a 7. As a result, my luggage did not reach my cabin until 21:00 on embarkation day.

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2023 at 10:35 AM, JFontaine said:

You are kidding me. You've been here as long as me. Look, you guys want to go with a scribble on a tag, go ahead. 

all porters take a 1 year mantatory handwriting course before they start.

• Haha 2