Did Manfredi’s remove the Chicken Parmigiana from their menu? It was there in March of 2023.

Iloveketo

3 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

My husband loves that too.  We celebrated our anniversary four weeks ago on Orion and he had the Osso Bucco.  So who knows if the menu has changed across the board.

We had the Osso Bucco on the Neptune on our May 2023 BIE cruise.  Hopefully, Viking hasn't phased it out across all ships. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DGHOC said:

This is not the menu we just had on Jupiter. I thought they used the same menu throughout the fleet.

We were told by Viking that our Saturn menu was the new menu and that it would be rolled out over the next couple months to all the other ships to keep it consistent.  So I would imagine it is just a timing thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

We were told by Viking that our Saturn menu was the new menu and that it would be rolled out over the next couple months to all the other ships to keep it consistent.  So I would imagine it is just a timing thing.

Oh, this is where I wish these boards had a thumbs down icon in addition to like, thanks, and laugh…

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 7

Because of allergies, Italian is tough for me and now with fewer choices it will be even harder, which is a shame because DH loves Italian food and really enjoys Manfredi's. So, I'm another voice of protest over the changes. 

(BTW, they already had phased out my favorite mussel dish and the rack of lamb when we sailed in July,2021; I was disappointed then and I am even further disappointed now.)

• Like 1

I suffer from an acute loss of appetite as a side effect from ongoing cancer treatment. When we embark on the Saturn next week, my hope is that I find something — anything — that I can force down at mealtime. For that reason, I’ll probably spend lots of time grazing at the World Cafe rather than ordering large entrees at Manfredis and The Restaurant. That’s why the menu changes are secondary for me right now.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ropomo said:

Just off Polaris. Talking to our server, there are three Manfredi's menus that change approximately every 90 days. The sequence may vary by ship. It is what it is.

Hmmm.   Definitely a different answer than I got.  Maybe Expedition ships are different.  Maybe different people at Viking themselves hears different things.  No need to speculate. Not like we can control it. It is what it is and you find out when you get on board whatever ship you are going to.  Remember, we are still quite fortunate to be traveling !!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ropomo said:

Just off Polaris. Talking to our server, there are three Manfredi's menus that change approximately every 90 days. The sequence may vary by ship. It is what it is.

For what it’s worth, on our WC in 2019, there were two Manfredi’s menus over the 18 weeks.  One we definitely liked better than the other.  So I guess they do make changes from time to time.  But I have never seen that second menu again, so maybe they take the criticism into account.  I did go into MVJ today, and checked the sample menu for Manfredis, and it is the old one.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ropomo said:

It is possible that Expeditions has adopted a 3 menu rota and that Oceans has not. This would not be the first time that Oceans handles something one way and Expeditions another.

For example, when it comes to booking shorex, both divisions have 6 cabin categories but Expeditions is divided into 3 booking tiers while oceans is divided into 6.

2 hours ago, ropomo said:

We will be on the Octantis in October. I will definitely ask about this.

55 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Looks like they reacted to my complaint about the lasagna and removed it. It was inedible.

LOL. I actually love their lasagna. I make it a point to eat it every time I have dinner at Manfredi’s. So good. I typically have  a small serving. Must have had a premonition because the very last time I ate there I asked for a full serving. Glad I did.

Note: I am not Italian but I’m married to one..

These conversations of ours just prove the point, you can't please everyone all of the time!

Lasagna has been a bone of contention on here many times. I suspect that we all get used to our particular favourites but lasagna comes in a million different guises and there are many regional recipes that differ enormously, even village to village it can differ (and I suspect household to household too!) Lasagna we eat in Bologna is quite different to that found in Sicily and every other region.

We've had very tasty lasagna in Manfredi's and some so so, it's like any restaurant and chef, it will differ on occasions.

Personally I'd prefer that the menu changes, that there's a rota. I was tired of it in just two weeks, I certainly wouldn't have been best impressed with a constant menu on a longer cruise.

SJD, I'm sorry you are struggling with your chemo, yep small is better with little appetite. I'm with you on The World Cafe being the optimal choice. I love lots of little tastes and portions. I'm amazed at the copious quantities of food offered and consumed on cruises, I couldn't sit down to a three course meal (portion size determined by the kitchen) every night. And as for Afternoon Tea too, well that's a mystery and totally beyond us. Given that the most popular time to dine appears to be 6pm, who is eating afternoon tea and dinner? We never dine before at least 7.30 and could still not consume a tower of goodies at 4. That tower of goodies would satisfy us for the evening.

Horses for courses as they say!

• Like 1

Have a read of this  https://www.lacucinaitaliana.com/italian-food/italian-dishes/lasagna-origins-and-varieties-of-the-beloved-baked-pasta?refresh_ce=#:~:text=Lasagna%3A Variations throughout Italy,meat ragú%2C ricotta and mozzarella.

Someone on here some time ago was berating the fact that they didn't put ricotta in their lasagna. You'd be strung up if you tried in Bologna.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Snowcat1 said:

I had the lasagna a few weeks ago on Jupiter and I agree. I found it hard to choke down. Worse lasagna I have ever had.

On the Neptune in May '23, we found the lasagna inedible.  The bechamel was thin and hard as a rock (who makes bechamel that way?), some kind of mushy, tasteless meat filling and no ricotta that I could detect. Fortunately, we ordered it as a side dish - took two bites and that was it.

1 hour ago, stephenandrew said:

Well the good news is that based on the sizable number of negative reactions to this menu change, it should be easier to get a reservation at Manfredi’s moving forward.  

My sentiments exactly. And I like the looks of the leg of lamb 😋. Will definitely be ordering that.

• Like 1

This is not going to be a popular response, but I am happy that the menu is changing.

Let's try new things and find new food experiences.  

I have not been enthused with Manfredi's the last few times because to me the menu is boringly the same old same old...

One of my favourites was dropped a couple years ago, but you know what?  I tried something different and was surprisingly pleased.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

This is not going to be a popular response, but I am happy that the menu is changing.

Let's try new things and find new food experiences.  

I have not been enthused with Manfredi's the last few times because to me the menu is boringly the same old same old...

One of my favourites was dropped a couple years ago, but you know what?  I tried something different and was surprisingly pleased.

Yeah….I honestly don’t want to come across as unsympathetic to those posters who have expressed unhappiness about this change, or those who have shared their unhappiness about the quality of the lasagna (or insert your least favorite entree here).  I get it.  People have fond recollections of past events they have enjoyed and look forward to reliving them.  When those expectations aren’t met, it is disappointing. I’ve been in that position.

I have not yet sailed on Viking, but when I look at the new menus that have been shared, they look pretty nice to me.  I think I could find something I would enjoy, and the best thing is if I choose poorly, I can pick something else off the menu.

In the end, seems to me that these worrying about these sorts of changes are most certainly first world problems.  I need to remind myself of that from time to time.

• Like 9

We are on the Venus now and enjoyed that lovely ribeye steak a few days ago at Manfredi’s and it was perfectly cooked and tender.  I saw Chicken Parm, Osso Buco and Lasagna all on the menu. We do miss some of our old favorites from years past including the Dover Sole and the meatball appetizer (I loved the tomato sauce with that dish).

I have not yet had the lasagna at Manfredi’s on this cruise, but I enjoyed it in the past.  I plan on ordering it before we leave the Venus.

Edited by slewis7
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, slewis7 said:

We are on the Venus now and enjoyed that lovely ribeye steak a few days ago at Manfredi’s and it was perfectly cooked and tender.  I saw Chicken Parm, Osso Buco and Lasagna all on the menu. We do miss some of our old favorites from years past including the Dover Sole and the meatball appetizer (I loved the tomato sauce with that dish).

I have not yet had the lasagna at Manfredi’s on this cruise, but I enjoyed it in the past.  I plan on ordering it before we leave the Venus.

There was some sort of seafood extravaganza in the World Cafe on Jupiter last week so do check on the Venus. They served massive portions of lobster tails, giant prawns and big platters of Dover Sole. It was delicious!

• Like 3

• 7 months later...